Two Finals in one Night

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Saturday June 21 we had our monthly race. I entered the Sportsman Class and a special event class, Fastest Streetcar Shootout. Cars had to be street legal, with papers, insurance, front seats, door panels etc... The officials told us you could enter two classes but you had to be willing to hot lap your car.

I decided to run my Pro Street 12.90 tune as its more consistant then running it all out and running 12.2-12.3s The DA was 1750 ft during qualifying. I dialed in a 12.80 and made it through 10 rounds and made the finals in both classes. I ended up breaking out in both finals as the DA had dropped to 742 ft by 2:30 AM. I had lowered my dial in several times but I was really guessing at what it would run and I didnt want to dial in too low of a number. I ran 12.62 on a 12.67 dail in. My car with a Brenspeed tune took all the hot lapping like it was nothing. I literally didnt turn my car off during several rounds, just drove back around and got back in line. I wasnt even able to take a bathroom break until I got a bye round too. LOL It was an awesome night and even though I didnt come in first I really felt like I won by making two finals in one night. All kinds of people came up to me and congratulated me. It was awesome, I was grinning ear to ear and still am. LOL Two trophies and two checks...not a bad Saturday night. I got home at 3:30 AM:beer:

I like this old school Camaro.....love that big ass blower coming out of the hood. It ran low 10s too.

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Very nice! So cool that your track runs so late into the early morning hours, too. Our main track has a curfew imposed by the city that ranges from 9-11pm depending on day of the week. Our other local track only runs until sundown as they don't have track lighting (it's an old airport converted for racing).

That '67 Camaro does look awesome. I really like the 1st gen Camaros - Chevy lost me after that. Keep representing the Mustang world proudly for us at your track! You've been doing so well.

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
Great job! Do you have trouble with getting heat soaked with the soft tune?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great job! That is a great night of racing for sure. So you raced 10 rounds in both classes or just the one class? That is a lot of cars.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Great job! That is a great night of racing for sure. So you raced 10 rounds in both classes or just the one class? That is a lot of cars.

10 total rounds. There were 20 some cars in each class. It is a lot of cars. I always approach each night one round at a time, try not to think beyond the dude I'm racing at the moment.

Heat soak has only been a problem if they stop me after a burn out. During qualifying I did my burn out, staged and they stopped us, had us back out. I left it running for a little bit then they told us to cut it off. We waited 5-10 minutes, then another burnout and raced. That slowed me down to 12.96 Next two runs were 12.82 and 12.80 Turning the car off just let it get hot. IMO if the wait is not really long better to let the radiator do its job. I run my car at 190'. I always warm it up that much. It's way more consistant. If its at 180' it will run 3 tenths faster.

Our track is way out in the weeds so we have run till 3:30 AM in the past, no issues. For the record a nice fox body beat me in the Shootout ran 11.48 on a 11.47 dial. But I did have the better light.....nice to do something right even when you lose. Lol

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering! I ask because I'm N/A still and love bracket racing; it's what my car has been setup to do. I would like to go faster at some point which brings a fork in the road: either big motor, boost, or a completely different platform which I'm not really interested in. I wanted to see what you said as I know heat soak can really make dialing a car in tough and think a bigger Centri with a bigger pulley and a conservative tune could be consistent and run relatively cool with air to air and maybe methanol injection if needed in the summer.

Keep up the great work man!

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
For me the key has been run it totally warmed up. I will let mine run in the staging lane till it reaches temp. I use an aeroforce gauge to monitor engine temp and trans temp. That gauge is awesome. At temp its usually within .05. Running slower takes the traction issue out of the equation. I run DRs, if your running bias ply you have no issues in traction.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back