Vintage Muscle Cars

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
How fast were they and how much power did they really have?
Take a look at the attached file and let's start a discussion.

Attachments

• Vintage Muscle Cars.pdf
    392.8 KB · Views: 27

Samos3

Reaction score
They frequently had tons of brute power. Hampered by tires and suspension that couldn't put it to the ground. And that's for dragging, at the strip or on the street.
No overdrive, so everything had to be set up for 1.1 final drive. You want want to go quick, you don't get to go fast.
Your chart needs to show top speed of those cars with that rear gear. Not just 1/4 mile times.
I think it was the Boss 351 was sub 6 second 0-60, 14 something quarter mile and less than 120 top end. And that's with 330bhp. Thanks to 3.91 or 4.11 gears. I'd love to see the results with modern 5 speed overdrive and 3.50 gears and modern suspension/tires.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Simple…. 426 Hemi’s were kings of the street and strip quarter mile. Very few could keep up with them.

I am old Pontiac guy, had Pontiac Trans Ams for many years. Only a Big block would move those heavy cars down the quarter mile. Lol

The 427 A/C Cobra was the only modern super car where acceleration, braking and handling were balanced but still slower ET than Hemi. Even the famed L88 Corvettes would get stomped by Hemi’s.

Reaction score
I owned a few of the old Mopars and a 69 Mercury Cougar. I had brothers and friends that owned some of the Chevys and Pontiacs. Traction was always a problem, so adding wide tires in the back was common.

Keeping the carburetor(s) in tune and rest of the ignition system happy was always a problem. The brakes usually weren't very good and handling sucked, so that always added a little extra adventure when going fast.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
AFAIK, SAE 'gross' was used prior to 1972..and SAE 'net' was used after 1972. The SAE 'gross' hp numbers were measured at the engine, not the rear wheels..... and did not include anything driven by the fead belt..and think it may also have not included the oil pump...(driven by the crank, and internal).

I think on the big hemi engine, that AC was not an available option..no room for it. Some of the popular magazines at the time (68-72) said the 440 would beat the 426 hemi in a street race, ( light to light).

A few years ago, at a gas station way out of town, this fellow had just bought an old vette..and it was up on a flatbed. Viewed from the rear, it had a single leaf spring going across the back, from left to right wtf ? That was a new one for me.

AHaze

Reaction score
AFAIK, SAE 'gross' was used prior to 1972..and SAE 'net' was used after 1972. The SAE 'gross' hp numbers were measured at the engine, not the rear wheels..... and did not include anything driven by the fead belt..and think it may also have not included the oil pump...(driven by the crank, and internal).
All manufacturer HP numbers are at the crank. I don't know the exact differences between how the net and gross numbers were achieved but SAE net forced the manufacturer to dyno the engine in a configuration much closer to how it would be installed in the car while SAE gross allowed for many of the popular "free HP" tricks to be used like straight piped exhausts, no air filter and leaving the FEAD off as you mentioned. I have my doubts about the oil pump being bypassed but have no proof so...

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score

I think on the big hemi engine, that AC was not an available option..no room for it. Some of the popular magazines at the time (68-72) said the 440 would beat the 426 hemi in a street race, ( light to light).

A few years ago, at a gas station way out of town, this fellow had just bought an old vette..and it was up on a flatbed. Viewed from the rear, it had a single leaf spring going across the back, from left to right wtf ? That was a new one for me.
The owner of the Shell station I worked at in high school ‘78-‘82 had a ‘63 split window vette with the rear spring set up you describe. Had 350 LT-1 in it with factory side pipes and Shell 78 series radials all the way around 12.8 1/4 all day long. The mechanics there had a ‘67 Malibu w/ L-88 vette motor in it open headers,slicks, 4:88 rear 10.7 1/4 all day long. Those were the days!

Samos3

Reaction score
And my Opel has a transverse FRONT leafspring...doesn't that look fun?IMGP3227.JPG

Last edited:

FrancoGT

Reaction score
How fast were they and how much power did they really have?
Take a look at the attached file and let's start a discussion.

Excellent topic. I was partial to Chevy big blocks. Not sure why now that I’m an older coot. Love my stang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mustang Terlingua

Reaction score
I just wanted to go fast in the corners as well as a straight away. 331 CI windsor A4 block with GT40 heads. I built this to Vintage Race. If Y'all want to become a $Millinaire start out a $Billionaire build a '67 Mustang Terlingua Racing Team & then go racing. I had fun spending my son's inheritance !

willow springs 10.04 001.jpg

FH000013.jpg

banning terlingua engine.jpg

DSC00562.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I miss the power of the big block Fords.
I don't miss the MPG's and the high test fuel required to feed them!
Don't miss the carb tuning either.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I posted the video link of the black ghost yesterday. Great story and a super fast street car.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I have had this 67 Mustang since I was 15. Paid $500 for it in 81. Anyway, I grew up with old muscle cars. My dad was a gearhead.
Long story short, my 67 currently has a 502 stroker (429 block) and a TKO600 5 speed. I put a stock 460 in it in 1990 so it's been a big block car for over 30 years. The 502 made 615/628 at the flywheel on pump gas. It has a carb and manual brakes. I did upgrade to four wheel disc but in the early days there weren't a lot of options so it has Grenada front brake and Lincoln rear disc from a Versailles (Basically a Granada). I did all the stuff from back in the day, relocated the UCA, welded in subframe connectors, etc. etc. I have driven it in 18 states, done two open track days, run at the drag strip and just drive it to go eat or shopping. It's not anywhere near a modern car but it will hold it's own. It's a handful and a little scary in fact. But it is a wild beast and a bit obnoxious and I love it!
93936777_10216855117915831_4371461466700644352_n.jpg
502 (1).jpg
37085140_10212386646326834_6337015789010288640_n.jpg
5-8-15.jpg
94036248_257923888722843_6055795572579762176_n.jpg

Samos3

Reaction score
The only Impala I like is a 61 bubble top. Especially in black, red spear and interior, with aluminum slots.

I like the patina on the Plymouth, as well. Safe to park at the grocery store!

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
The only Impala I like is a 61 bubble top. Especially in black, red spear and interior, with aluminum slots.

I like the patina on the Plymouth, as well. Safe to park at the grocery store!
Thanks. I love black with red interior as well!
And the patina is great. After replacing nearly every panel on my 67 Mustang I am not a fan of bodywork! So my 72 Cheyenne and the Road Runner both are staying rough!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back