Vorshlag 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT - track/autocross/street Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Correct, I'm waiting on a solid shifter for the 6060.

DOB is working on one. That's the main reason I went with the 6060 besides cost.

Rehagen Racing

forum member
Reaction score
Correct, I'm waiting on a solid shifter for the 6060.

DOB is working on one. That's the main reason I went with the 6060 besides cost.

I don't want to muddy up Terry's post, but feel free to email us. Yes a solid tail shaft like shown above is best, but we have a couple of items that virtually remove the slop on the TR6060.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Most people do not realize that most OEM automotive connectors are built to withstand 4-6 plug/unplug cycles when they are new, and less after aged and heat cycled. But the cost of motorsports or military quality terminals is ten to one hundred times the cost. I've got a lot of wiring tools to make proper harnesses and I believe that even only buying good deals and used tools I still have over $1500 just in my wiring tools. The crimp dies for solid pin Amphenol connectors were particularly expensive. Special strippers for Tefzel wiring, solder pots, pin extractors, heat shrink printers and all the other parts don't look all that expensive by themselves, but as a group, add up to a chunk of change.

There's a place for motorsports wiring, and a place where you keep the stock wiring maintained, or just augment it as needed.

Oh yes, I agree. Sometimes overkill really is overkill, but when I modified my harness for my transmission swap, I found it to be a rats nest stuffed inside plastic corrugated tubing. If I ever get around to a motor swap, I'd like to use all of the unused aviation wiring tools in my garage to build a quality harness.

speedform

Reaction score
http://www.essexparts.com/shop/comp...n-brake-system-sprint-c5-corvette-bundle.html
Not sure if your interested Terry but I talked to a friend over at Essex and their developing an AP Racing 4 and 6 piston kit design to clear 18" wheels.
The kit is built on their C5/C6 Corvette brake systems, for guys who run 18" track setups. Oh, and their developing both kits for the S197 and S550 models. Nice!
DSC_9571-M.jpg

Forgestar F14 18x10" on GT500 fronts = no workie.

DSC_9572-M.jpg

Nope, the F14 18x10 does NOT fit over the 380mm Brembo. We tested it, above. Now the word from Forgestar is that the F14 18x11 and F14 18x12 does fit over the 15" fronts, but I haven't verified that yet. But the barrel on the CF5 18x10 does look dramatically different.

This answer just came back to my request to buy a 2015 BIW:

So... we're going to immediately start looking for a Front Hit, Flood Damage, or Theft Recovery 2015 Mustang (V6 or V8). I'll put the word out as soon as these cars start to arrive...

Last edited:

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure if your interested Terry but I talked to a friend over at Essex and their developing an AP Racing 4 and 6 piston kit design to clear 18" wheels.
The kit is built on their C5/C6 Corvette brake systems, for guys who run 18" track setups. Oh, and their developing both kits for the S197 and S550 models. Nice!

Since then we've gotten fitments for the 15" 6-piston kits. The 11" and wider Forgestar F14 and all the CF5 18" wheels will fit the late GT500 and many other 15" brake sets.

ModdedMach

Detailer of shiny things.
Reaction score
I just was watching Terry's Global Time attack @ Road Atlanta May of this year on youtube...then i suddenly recall- I WAS THERE and i remember their car...

Dude can drive, i remember that car running really well through 10a/b.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just got back from 10 day trip to SEMA + OUSCI last night. We finished moving everything out of the old shop hours before we loaded up and headed out for SEMA. SO MUCH has happened since my last update here - the 2011 GT was painted, the buyer backed out unexpectedly, we stickered the car up, towed it 1200 miles to Vegas, parked for ONE DAY in the Ford area at SEMA, moved to Optima Alley for the rest of the week, raced at the Optima event for 2 days, driven down the entire length of the Vegas strip, raced on the 2.4 mile road course at LVMS, towed back to Dallas and unloaded at the new shop today.

B61G9831-L.jpg

Our 2015 GT we special ordered in April arrived while we were gone and our salesman Corey White brought it by today to tempt me. I drove it and we took a bunch of pics - frak me, its nice! We also test fit 18x10 Forgestar CF5 wheels over the front 15" 6 piston Brembos - fit perfectly on all 4 corners. Pics with wheels and mocked up rear wing coming soon. No need to stick with 19s, obviously.

i-hJ3rMnR-L.jpg

Trying to unpack and organize the shop now, and trying NOT to work super late this week (after the last 7 weeks of 16-18 hour days doing construction and moving shops). Uploading THOUSANDS of pictures from SEMA from my phone right now (if you are FB friends with me you saw them posting live all week as I walked from booth to booth) and Brad took some really GOOD pics of the show and at OUSCI with his Canon gear. Please be patient as we get images cropped, uploaded, and I write ... 4 or 5 separate Mustang thread updates, including:

1. Fender flare finalized, new wing uprights added, car painted, shown at ECR track day + shop move + interviewed and car filmed in our shop by Optima TV folks
2. SEMA show pics + Ford 50th celebration aerial picture + Optima Alley + online haters + lots and lots of fans of this Mustang
3. OUSCI racing + results (still don't exist yet, no idea how we finished) + thoughts on this event + what will we race here next year?
4. 2011 GT For Sale add + text + pics + gotta sell this car to pay for the REAL reason why we moved shops....?!
5. More 2015 Mustang impressions + thoughts + images of 100s of S550s at SEMA + cool things learned from various vendors/suppliers about this chassis + will we really NOT buy one after it was in our shop today??

B61G1518_150_logo-L.jpg

That and more coming soon....I have dozens of shop move emergencies and 10 days of work to catch up on, then I can write. :hi:

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
3. OUSCI racing + results (still don't exist yet, no idea how we finished) + thoughts on this event + what will we race here next year?

21st overall. For those who aren't impressed, you should be. The twenty cars that finished higher were either all wheel drive, way lighter, or carrying at least 200 more horsepower.....in at least one case, 500 more horsepower.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/index.php?cID=2952

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
21st overall. For those who aren't impressed, you should be. The twenty cars that finished higher were either all wheel drive, way lighter, or carrying at least 200 more horsepower.....in at least one case, 500 more horsepower.

Isnt Brian Hobaugh still at 500 HP? Not to take away from anyone. Id kill just to go watch these guys but would love to drive in this thing. However my terrible skills behind the wheel wouldnt suffice.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
gotcha. Yea it seems like I read an article on speedhunters.com that Brians car is a 500hp LT1 and is just alot of unreal suspension work.... I drooled a little over it. Just a sick car in general.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

Edit from 11/13/14: After seeing the results yesterday I was extremely displeased with my performance at this event and it shows in the tone of what I wrote below. I obviously drove poorly, but had no idea for much of the weekend how we were doing. Ending up 21st place was not where I thought we would have been ranked (I was hoping for a top 10), especially compared to many drivers we had beaten in this same car before at USCA and other events - or from looking at the very limited results we saw during the OUSCI. The last minute classing changes, fast and loose regard for their own rules, continual timing problems and delays, a dash of competitive deviousness, and inconsistent judging at this event only exacerbated this feeling.

-------

Those results are incomplete, and I'm not going to ease up until I see the actual run times. One competitor I know already fought one inaccuracy and it moved him up a dozen places yesterday. We STILL do not know any of our times from: Speed Stop, Left Side Autocross, Road Course, or how the S&D score was come up with. That will all come "later".

Live (or in some cases ANY) posting of competition times was a major problem at this event. They should have done a better job - you cannot work on your autocross runs if you have no idea what your times are or how you sit relative to others during the event. In 400+ competition events over the past 28 years I've never had NO clue about what my times were until OUSCI 2014. Its several days later and I still have no clue, other than I got about 5 points from my ranked placement of (?) place.

At one point I was 4th fastest in the autocross of half the entries on the only side that the timer display was working (2 courses, left and right, with times added together). The AWD cars all ran in another session and apparently their times were very good (have no idea what they might be) and it messed with the placements of the 2WD cars badly, both in the autocross and speed stop events.

20141109_112806-L.jpg

The one copy of the track map they had on site (above) was wrong - this was the 2.7 mile course and we ran the 2.4

Our car felt "off" on the road course all day, and I kept getting caught in traffic from other cars + the gravel spray from the many cars going off course + getting blocked by the damned camera car (aka: rolling road block). My AIM Solo wasn't working and I couldn't get the start/finish marker set-up, so I had no lap times or predictive timer functions, and I've come to heavily really rely on that. With only 3-5 laps per session (truncated sessions due to the breakdowns, timing delays and technical problems) there just weren't enough laps for me to learn the 19 turns on this course, I guess. This course also had a lot of slow corners and long straights, which help powerful cars a lot. I cannot count how many times I was stuck going around corners behind slower cars that just put 100s of yards on me in the next straight. Cars and drivers I smoked in Texas placed well ahead of me (by how much I have no idea) here.

There were also some "competitive irregularities" I witnessed that were absurd. Rules that changed on the fly, seemingly automatic disqualifications that were overturned, hot lapping of autocross course at weird times, etc. It all affected the results. I am not too pleased about how some aspects were handled, but I'm starting to sound like sour grapes so I'll shut up now until I have more time to explain - and have had a chance to see some actual results with TIMES.

The OUSCI know how displeased some of us are, each of us from having spent a lot of time and money coming to their event, run in its 7th year but still looking like a rookie effort in many ways. Anyway, I'm going to leave it there for now before I'm banned for life from USCA/Optima events. ;) I did have "fun" but mixed with a healthy dose of frustration and facepalm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back