vortech pulley upgrade

Cuartza

Reaction score
ok, first and foremost, it has been an extraordinary amount of time since ive been on here, let alone posted anything. with that i have an upgrade question. My current mods are kooks lt's w/catted h, detroit rockers, 3.55's, vortech v3 ho, delete plates, bbk throttle body, clutch/flywheel, and all the suspension one can do to a 3v. I am interested in doing a pully swap to the 3.33" pully, should net be 11-12 psi. I talked to brenspeed and they said that should put me at just under max tourqe/hp for the stock internals. this is a daily driver, and yes i drive it like a stole it. i don't really want to do a gear swap. would this be too much for the car?

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you beat on it and drive it alot, then your chances are much better you will pop it. But ITS ALL IN THE TUNE..This has been discusssed alot. If you dont have a plan B at the ready in case your motor pops, and if this is your DD, then leave it alone, go conservative on the tune and dont do the pulley swap..

Cuartza

Reaction score
i know your right!! its just so damn tempting, needed on outside source (other than my own brain) to tell me that. i just moved to washington so i don't know any good tuners yet, and all i have is brenspeed. i know they do good tunes, but with a setup like that i want a dyno tune. so i guess ill just be a good little boy

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
i know your right!! its just so damn tempting, needed on outside source (other than my own brain) to tell me that. i just moved to washington so i don't know any good tuners yet, and all i have is brenspeed. i know they do good tunes, but with a setup like that i want a dyno tune. so i guess ill just be a good little boy

Put some Manley H beam rods in your stock SB and take it 15 psi and have some fun. JMO:crazy:

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I run a 3.33 pulley on my Novi 1200 (same thing as a V3) and it's working out well. No intercooler either - just a cheap meth injection system that's been working very well.

The two biggest factors for you in considering the 3.33 pulley should be:
- Tune
- Charge cooling

What are you IATs like now? You'll want to monitor IATs in the manifold and make sure they stay reasonable. You'll also need to make sure your tune is safe with reasonable timing and steady, safe AFR.

The nice thing about the smaller pulley is you go just as fast without having to spin the motor as high. The smaller pulley fattens up the powerband a little bit. I shift mine in the 6300 range.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
It gets pretty high during stop and go traffic - up into the 140s at times. At WOT, it drops immediately though and never goes over 130 or so over the course of a full 1/4 mile pass.

the_shane

forum member
Reaction score
I run a 3.33 pulley on my Novi 1200 (same thing as a V3) and it's working out well. No intercooler either - just a cheap meth injection system that's been working very well.

The two biggest factors for you in considering the 3.33 pulley should be:
- Tune
- Charge cooling

What are you IATs like now? You'll want to monitor IATs in the manifold and make sure they stay reasonable. You'll also need to make sure your tune is safe with reasonable timing and steady, safe AFR.

The nice thing about the smaller pulley is you go just as fast without having to spin the motor as high. The smaller pulley fattens up the powerband a little bit. I shift mine in the 6300 range.

Question for you. I have a similar setup as you with v3 non-intercooled and I just install a meth kit. I also have high IATs problem before the meth. I currently don't have a tune for the meth but in your option would it be better to run stright water or water/meth mix?

Thanks...

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I dont want to answer the question for him, but the short answer is yes, you will want to tune for it and use 50/50 meth/water mix in your situation.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
^yep, what he said

I tuned mine to add/remove timing based on IAT as measured in the intake manifold. If the meth stops spraying, IATs climb fast (I've tested this) and the PCM pulls timing immediately. I also have the factory knock sensors fully functional as a second fail safe.

I also leaned out the tune out a bit, as my AFR was almost .5 richer after the meth injection vs before. I run mid-11s AFR with 19-21* of timing at WOT.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back