Wax/gunk all over under the hood

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a wax/clear gunky film covering any painted surface under the hood of your car. The shock towers, edges of the fenders, anything with a painted surface has a waxy clear gunky film that is a bitch to clean off. Anyone have this and know how to clean it off?

Booger

No longer under warranty
Reaction score
Does you car have a rust proof coating or undercoat from the dealer? I've seen a few that had been sprayed with an after market undercoat or rust proof system that left a waxy type coating on everything except engine.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Must be what it is from. I told them I only wanted the undercoating. Looks like I have some cleaning to do...lol.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Cosmoline.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Cosmoline.

The only auto manufactures that use Cosmoline are the Japanese, when cars were shipped over seas to keep it from rusting in the salt air.
I have know some coastal dealers that use it on cars that may sit on the lot for a while.

I have found that hot water (heat) is really the best way to remove cosmoline and it is the least caustic to the wood and metal. I will usually boil a large quantity of water and then working outside I will pour it over the parts while they are laid out. The heat will melt the waxy, petroleum gunk and wash it away.

Widely used in the preservation of firearms and untreated steel parts to prevent rust.​

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back