What have you done to your house today

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
That's freakin awesome stuff right there ...

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
OK, so the word around the building department is that I'm an over-achiever, but I started with a whole house radiant floor heating system. That required removing everything that was sitting on the floor to raise it about 1 3/4". Both bathrooms ended up ripped to the studs, and most everything else is being redone.

I started with the living room / dining room / kitchen and added the log siding. The fireplace was red brick and just wasn't cutting it.

To me that's how every house in the mountains should look. Great work!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Hanging out while the 2 guys from the kitchen-cabinet place are installing the new cabinets.
They're doing a fantastic job getting them lined up/secured perfectly. I love everything I see so far.
And everything is soft-close ... the drawers, doors, pantry drawers, EVERYTHING :)

The left-side cabinets are now all done (except the granite counter-top, which will be templated and cut/installed next week)
30"-wide pantry with slide-out drawers, 12" cabinet and 18"-wide cabinet with slide-out trash-can insert:
2013-05-10_cabinets-02_zpsfedfacd9.jpg

The pantry's drawers:

2013-05-10_cabinets-03_zps11da8a13.jpg

The first right-side cabinet installed:

2013-05-10_cabinets-04_zps6bd81198.jpg

Doesn't get much closer than this. The drawer face panel has less than 1/4" of space between it and the door frame:

2013-05-10_cabinets-05_zps6c0cb8ff.jpg

Now it's lunch time, then they're gonna get back to installing more cabinets :D

More pics coming up :)

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love the soft-close stuff. The girlfriend is going to do some work at her house and we were wandering Home Depot last weekend. She had never seen those and spent several minutes playing with all of them.

Those look like some very nice cabinets!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I love the soft-close stuff. The girlfriend is going to do some work at her house and we were wandering Home Depot last weekend. She had never seen those and spent several minutes playing with all of them.

Those look like some very nice cabinets!

Thanks, I love the dark ones even more than the light-colored ones. And I went with the dark-colored ones cuz the pantry cabinet was originally too tall if made by the same manufacturer as the light-colored stuff, and they also would've had to do 2 different tall cabinets 15" wide each, so I would've lost the wide drawers that I wanted so bad.
Different mfr / different color/style and voila, I got my wide drawers and a close-to-original-height pantry cabinet.

And Home Depot was the first place I saw the soft-close stuff too ... since then, I knew I wanted that feature.

I even bought a couple of soft-close dampers to add-on to an existing small cabinet that is older and is not getting replaced, staying where it is in the shower area in the master bedroom.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The guys just left for today.
They got the bathroom vanity installed in the master bedroom, now it's all ready to be measured for the new granite top which will be the same material/design as the counter-tops in the kitchen.
The vanity is the same design as the left-side cabinets in the kitchen.

2013-05-10_cabinets-06_zps4c33954e.jpg

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Nice little house. I kind of liked that carport overhang. Gave it personality. Now plant some trees. ;-)

The overhang busted last winter and it was going to cost around 1k to redo it. I didnt really care for it because it loomed over the house. So it went to the scrap yard and brought in about 500.00 being pure aluminum

Hopefully going to plant some small tree this year. As well as finish the front porch. The shrubs in the lower window had to go because I "pruned" butchered them to death not thinking.

My main thing now is getting the fenced in yard done and the garage then finish the landscaping.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
A house, the ultimate mod project.

Paul, I saw those tiles at costco, they look great in your bathroom. I redid all my bathrooms a few years ago, if I hadnt I would use that tile, its awesome.

Infamous, too bad the overhang is so pricey to fix. It did give your house some character. But a garage is a must and you only have so many dollars to spend.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The overhang busted last winter and it was going to cost around 1k to redo it. I didnt really care for it because it loomed over the house. So it went to the scrap yard and brought in about 500.00 being pure aluminum

Hopefully going to plant some small tree this year. As well as finish the front porch. The shrubs in the lower window had to go because I "pruned" butchered them to death not thinking.

My main thing now is getting the fenced in yard done and the garage then finish the landscaping.

That's awesome that you made back that much by recycling the overhang.
And yeah, you need some shrubs or small trees or something in front, especially where the ground drops lower on the side ...

As far as my place, I can't get enough of seeing new cabinets in my kitchen. It's been so long since I started looking at new ones, so long since I ordered these, it's almost surreal to finally have them here.

The current look in my kitchen:

Corner cabinet still has to be built and all the upper cabinets need to be installed. Left corner will be home to the new fridge, then a corner sink of course, then the dishwasher, then the stove in the open spot on the right.
Granite company due here on Wednesday to measure the whole place and the bathroom vanities for the new granite tops.

2013-05-10_cabinets-08_zps07a6cfec.jpg

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got my Squirrel on and trimmed some trees! Had a huge brack that broke so I cut that up as well! All with my little bitty electric saw! Boy am I whooped now! Lol!

e5ygynes.jpg

tezyzede.jpg

The pics make that pile look small! It's about 4 feet tall if not bigger! Lol!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Today I installed a new dedicated outlet for the dishwasher, replacing the old hardwire set-up.
The new set-up will have a plug kit hard-wired into the dishwasher, then simply plug it into its own dedicated wall outlet

The before-and-after of the wiring set-up for the dishwasher :

2013-05-11_d-washer_wiring-1_zpscf91cbb2.jpg

I also bought some PVC pipe, p-trap and couple connectors/elbows. They're gonna get used for one of the 3 sinks in the condo, not sure which one yet.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Got the first coat of mud on today and tape.

For those that have done sheet rock how many coats of mud do you put on and how long between coats did you wait..... As well as did you sand between each coat... Please say no to the last part lol.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I usually put 3 coats on just to make sure it's gonna be pretty smooth. I don't sand in between coats just take your taping knife and go over everything and knock the burrs off. I usually let it dry over night but that's just me some guys may only wait a few hours depending on how hot it is and how fast the mud drys

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
almost all of the mud is dry now on the first coat minus the last wall I did. I am thinking by the time I get home from church tonight the first layer should be dry enough to go ahead with second. Then tomorrow night when I get home do the third coat and then tuesday hopefully be able to sand. And get ready for primer/sealer, then paint by the weekend. The ceiling is what I am most concerned about finishing. I want to put a textured ceiling finish. I was reading if doing that then the ceiling only needs one or two coats of mud and then roll on the ceiling with the texturing brush.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I'd say with the heat in the garage right now you should be fine. Why not stomp the ceiling? It's a whole lot easier and when I do it I buy a fresh bucket of mud and thin it with ceiling paint and then leave it alone. No extra painting

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You need to build a fire pit where those limbs and twigs are. Looks like the perfect spot for one

Funny you mention that! I have one just to the left of them that's just outside of the picture! Lol. That's why those are separated from the others! Burning them up soon!

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Mowed, aerated, seeded. Cut down 2 more trees, wife says that I can't cut down anymore because then we won't have any shaded area in the backyard. I say less trees, less places for snakes to hide out. LOL.

I need to take some before pics of the yard. Nothing but clover and dandelions.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The cabinet guys got more cabinets installed today, plus the second bathroom vanity, and they got a lot of the new satin-nickel handles installed.
Turns out one 30"-wide cabinet is too narrow so they're gonna take it and they're ordered me a 36"-wide cabinet.
After they left I installed a new electrical outlet into the cabinet that's above the sink, an outlet that will be powering a new light assembly. Eventually.

Tomorrow the cabinet guys are coming back, plus the granite company is sending somebody down to do templates for the new counter tops and vanity tops.

Some pics of the current look:

2013-05-14_cabinets-1_zps9912ab27.jpg

2013-05-14_cabinets-2_zps058f63ab.jpg

2013-05-14_cabinets-3_zps2b049306.jpg

2013-05-14_cabinets-4_zps1658b300.jpg

2013-05-14_vanity_zps98649811.jpg

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Last night I ripped out the vanity in the master

I have a nice new modern vanity to put in there but it stands on legs so I have to lay tile first.

American-Standard-9205-130-250-rw-142692-342646.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back