What have you done to your house today

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Last night I ripped out the vanity in the master

I have a nice new modern vanity to put in there but it stands on legs so I have to lay tile first.

Your bathroom looks almost exactly like mine. Same size/layout. I think I have that same toilet. I put a new vanity in a few years ago. Still need to rip everything out and redo it.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
It's an American Standard Champion 4 toilet. I just put that in not too long ago to replace the old round front shortie toilet that was in there. I'm glad I did too because whoever the previous owner had do the flooring never extended the closet flange. I don't know how it wasn't leaking but I put it back together right.

Now I just need to find matching tiles. He left us enough to do this project in one or the other of the bathrooms. You can see the closest match I found from HD there in the corner.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Last night I ripped out the vanity in the master

HA, that's almost the same layout as my bathroom too ... I consider it the spare bathroom even though I use IT more then the one in the master bedroom ...

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
It's an American Standard Champion 4 toilet. I just put that in not too long ago to replace the old round front shortie toilet that was in there. I'm glad I did too because whoever the previous owner had do the flooring never extended the closet flange. I don't know how it wasn't leaking but I put it back together right.

Now I just need to find matching tiles. He left us enough to do this project in one or the other of the bathrooms. You can see the closest match I found from HD there in the corner.

You could always do a contrasting-color/design tile under the new vanity, maybe something close in color to the new vanity ?

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking about that or maybe popping up those couple of tiles towards the edge and laying a 4-6" border of sort of glass tile mosaic type of thing around the vanity. Then trying to clean the backs of the tiles and relay them under the vanity.

I tried to explain that to my wife but she couldn't visualize it.

My photoediting skills are poor but..

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Current look of my kitchen.
Templates are now done for the granite counter-tops, they should be done in about a week.
I was given the go-ahead to move my stuff into the cabinets, so that will be fun, deciding what goes where, but it's one big step closer to being DONE.
Missing the appliances, one upper cabinet which is on order, and the new flooring, which I'm gonna call today to schedule the installation of.
Picture taken with & without flash.

2013-05-15_cabinets_zps188e5d65.jpg

I was thinking about that or maybe popping up those couple of tiles towards the edge and laying a 4-6" border of sort of glass tile mosaic type of thing around the vanity. Then trying to clean the backs of the tiles and relay them under the vanity.

I would either remove the tiles with that are already cut around the cut-out and replace them AND the missing ones with a contrasting color, or just fill-in the space with no tiles now with the new contrasting color.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Just installed the new light assembly under the corner cabinet, got the power cable into the cabinet, and plugged it into the new outlet I installed yesterday.
The light fixture has an on/off switch, but it's always gonna stay ON since the power is controlled by a wall-mounted switch just out of the picture to the right.

2013-05-15_cabinets-2_zpsd05f855e.jpg

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
I got super fucking lucky today. I got my hands on the last case of matching tiles from the place the previous owner got them!!! $0.99 ea. So I have more than enough to do what I need to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I got super fucking lucky today. I got my hands on the last case of matching tiles from the place the previous owner got them!!! $0.99 ea. So I have more than enough to do what I need to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That's awesome !!

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Last night I pulled up the partial tiles and cut out the cement board underneath that.

Then put down a new piece of cement board.

Here's the new vanity.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I wish my plumbing wasn't in the wall like it is, I like it a lot more going into the floor like that ^^

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
haha, I'd rather that mine was coming out of the wall. Then I wouldn't have to cut a hole in the bottom of my nice new vanity. It's only coming through the floor in that bathroom because it's on an exterior wall.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
haha... it was and then I realized that the doors opened like that. I'm going to have it 4" off the side wall. Which is where it is in that picture. I took that to illustrate my plan to my wife.

I thought about cutting it and hinging it like a normal door but I don't think that the shelves would allow that to work.

I have one of these vanities to put in the other bathroom. Those doors open normal.
1926.prd.l.alt.001.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Bought a cheap wet saw at Harbor Freight ($40 after sale price and 20% off coupon :D ) and finally got back to tiling the walls above the tub in the spare bathroom.
I finished the back wall and most of the left wall.
Ran out of adhesive, will buy more soon and finish this up, then grout in-between the lines, then caulk the corners and bottom seams, then a shower curtain rod and a curtain :)

2013-05-20_tub-tile_zpsb6b2a4d4.jpg

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
I have been busy with tile too. The ones we thought matched turned out to be lighter so I ran a frame around to break them up.

Master bath

20130520_194838_zps90d3f96c.jpg

20130520_194821_zpsbcc3e8cc.jpg

Still waiting for the grout to dry and do my final cleanup.

Guest bath

20130520_194746_zps9ce3f90b.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
That ^^ looks good with the border like that. And the lighter tile will now be inward enough that you'd have to make quite the effort to bend down and look under there to notice ... lol

I went out for a Mustang ride and bought another bucket of tile adhesive, so I'll get back to my tiling shortly.

As far as grouting, I plan on waiting at least 1-2 days before I put it on, to give the adhesive LOTS of time to fully cure, especially since I'm not really using this tub for anything more than washing my hands and dishes right now (there are no working sinks in the place right now, they should be installed on Friday when the new countertop/vanity tops show up)

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
WHat type of cement board did you guys use?

I went with Hardiebacker, I think it was their "500" model, meant for wet areas, and more specifically, meant for walls.
They have a 300-series too, and I forget right now which one says it's for floors and which one's for walls.

I also used Redgard waterproofing membrane ...

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Cool, i know for sure im going to tile my bath floors. Still undecided on whether i want to tackle tiles above the shower, because it means taking out the drywall and putting up cement board. I want to start demo soon on the one bathroom. On your tiles in the shower how does the transition from tile to drywall work? Like on the edge does the tile overlap onto the drywall slightly or is the tile only on thr cement board. Im just wondering how to get a nice straight edge. Sorry if thats confusing

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back