What have you done to your mustang today?

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Hey there "06JET, I recall asking you nearly 6 months ago about your Roush extreme cat-back exhaust to get your opinion regarding if you experience any interior resonance drone inside the cabin and if you do? I would like to know if the drone is just minimal or really bad between 1500-2500 RPM while at cruising speeds on the highway. My reason for concern is I've narrowed my choice for my next exhaust down to the Roush extreme cat-back and would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance,

-Rocky

To me there is NO DRONE at any RPM. However the exhaust is loud and can be heard in the interior of the car. But it is just exhaust rumble not drone. I had Flowmasters before and the drone was killing me at 2000 rpm. If you like loud then the Roush Extreme is the way to go. I believe that my high flow cats cut some of the noise down but you having an O/R pipe I would assume that yours would be even louder. I have thought about installing short glass packs under the rear bumper to tone it down just a little but just haven't done it yet. Probable won't but it's a thought.
A guy stopped by my apartment here in Easton the other day and complimented me on my car. Then he said "I heard something Bad Ass leaving the neighborhood the other day, was that you?" I just smiled and said "Maybe". He lives one street over and 2 streets down.

Phil1098

Reaction score
Drained the brake fluid reservoir and filled it with fresh and bled the brakes. Had to employ my wife as the pedal pusher. She did a good job.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
To me there is NO DRONE at any RPM. However the exhaust is loud and can be heard in the interior of the car. But it is just exhaust rumble not drone. I had Flowmasters before and the drone was killing me at 2000 rpm. If you like loud then the Roush Extreme is the way to go. I believe that my high flow cats cut some of the noise down but you having an O/R pipe I would assume that yours would be even louder. I have thought about installing short glass packs under the rear bumper to tone it down just a little but just haven't done it yet. Probable won't but it's a thought.
A guy stopped by my apartment here in Easton the other day and complimented me on my car. Then he said "I heard something Bad Ass leaving the neighborhood the other day, was that you?" I just smiled and said "Maybe". He lives one street over and 2 streets down.
Thank you very much for your feedback, as you just helped me decide on pulling the trigger in ordering the Roush extreme cat-back exhaust for my "06 GT. I definitely like a deep/loud exhaust which can still be heard in the interior but without the ear-splitting resonance drone that's been killing me at 1500-2500 rpm with the Borla S-type (stingers) for over the past 2 years. Although I do like the overall sound of the Borla's, the interior resonance drone has just been too unbearable to deal with. I also considered upgrading to Borla ATAK axle backs but found too many mixed reviews in which 50% claimed they experienced done issues while the remaining 50% claimed they didn't experience drone. I also looked into the possibility of upgrading to the Ford Racing FR500S (GT500KR) mufflers and although every review I read regarding the FR500S having zero drone to them, after listening to several YouTube videos, IMHO they just seemed a bit too quiet for my liking. But sound wise between the Roush, FR500S and Borla ATAk, I definitely like the sound of the Roush extreme cat-back most of all. What I plan on running the Roush extreme with is that I'll pair them up with my current Mac off-road ProChamber setup and if it ends up becoming too loud? then I'll just add the ProChamber to the stock catted mid-pipe as a cut and clamp option which should quiet things down well enough for daily driver use during car cruise season. In the meantime, I'll follow up with you in the forum threads and also via PM to let you know how much I'm liking the Roush Extremes once there installed. Thanks once again for replying back and for all your help and feedback :waytogo:

-Rocky

Phil1098

Reaction score
I also looked into the possibility of upgrading to the Ford Racing FR500S (GT500KR) mufflers and although every review I read regarding the FR500S having zero drone to them, after listening to several YouTube videos, IMHO they just seemed a bit too quiet for my liking.

-Rocky

I thought my FR500S mufflers were just fine, kind of wished they were a little louder and they had no drone. Then I put on Kooks long tubes with an ORH, good lord, they completely changed. My car is so fucking loud now, I regularly have people ask me how I get away with it on the street. I never dreamed headers and scrapping the cats would have that big of an impact.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I thought my FR500S mufflers were just fine, kind of wished they were a little louder and they had no drone. Then I put on Kooks long tubes with an ORH, good lord, they completely changed. My car is so fucking loud now, I regularly have people ask me how I get away with it on the street. I never dreamed headers and scrapping the cats would have that big of an impact.
I know exactly what you mean, as I've read several reviews from owners who also wished the FR500S mufflers were a little louder with the stock mid-pipe still in place with no drone but once they upgraded to either long tubes or ORH applications, they all said they become so fucking loud that they ended up having to put their FR500S mufflers up for sale and made the switch to Borla Touring mufflers. Have you considered adding high-flow cats to your long tubes? Perhaps adding high-flow cats and possibly adding resonators along with them might end up quieting your exhaust just enough so that's it's more tolerable? But yes, scrapping the cats and adding long tube headers will most definitely make that big of an impact for sure. So more than likely I probably won't end up doing a long tube header application for that very reason. Anyhow, I'm hoping that by upgrading to the Roush Extreme cat-back exhaust will provide the loudness and sound that I've been searching for paired with my current off-road ProChamber setup, but if it ends up being too loud? then I'll end up splicing in the ProChamber with the factory catted mid-pipe by cutting off the factory H crossover section which should then quiet things down just enough so that the exhaust note is more livable :shrug:

Phil1098

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, as I've read several reviews from owners who also wished the FR500S mufflers were a little louder with the stock mid-pipe still in place with no drone but once they upgraded to either long tubes or ORH applications, they all said they become so fucking loud that they ended up having to put their FR500S mufflers up for sale and made the switch to Borla Touring mufflers. Have you considered adding high-flow cats to your long tubes? Perhaps adding high-flow cats and possibly adding resonators along with them might end up quieting your exhaust just enough so that's it's more tolerable?

I switched them out for some MBRPs and it sounded OK, but when I came back from my drive I wasn't smiling. I put he FR500S mufflers back on and had a huge grin again. I sold the MBRPs. The loud really doesn't bother me in the least, I'm not trying to "fix" it, just couldn't believe the difference and how much it changed the same mufflers. Most people tell me it's the best sounding Mustang they've ever heard.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I switched them out for some MBRPs and it sounded OK, but when I came back from my drive I wasn't smiling. I put he FR500S mufflers back on and had a huge grin again. I sold the MBRPs. The loud really doesn't bother me in the least, I'm not trying to "fix" it, just couldn't believe the difference and how much it changed the same mufflers. Most people tell me it's the best sounding Mustang they've ever heard.

I have no doubt about those people telling you that your Mustang is the best they've ever heard. If only the FR500S mufflers were just a bit louder with the "OEM" catted mid-pipe still in place? I would pull the trigger by ordering them in a heartbeat. I forgot to mention earlier that another reason I'm not able to make the switch to long tube headers, is that my Mustang's suspension is also lowered by approx 1.3" front and by 1.5" rear and concerned that by adding long tubes may cause possible clearance issues with pavement scraping :shrug:

Phil1098

Reaction score
I forgot to mention earlier that another reason I'm not able to make the switch to long tube headers, is that my Mustang's suspension is also lowered by approx 1.3" front and by 1.5" rear and concerned that by adding long tubes may cause possible clearance issues with pavement scraping :shrug:

If it would help, I can take some pics of my Kooks, they are absolutely no lower than stock exhaust. If you scrape them, you've already done a lot more damage on other parts. I will say this though, I kept reading about doing LT headers was an eight hour job, I thought pfssss, I've been working on cars for over forty years, I'll get it done a lot faster than that. Eight hours.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I got the lower intake, blower, pcv all sorted on my car yesterday, fired it up, same exact whining vac leak as before even though I thought it was the bubbler fitting.

So, only gasket I didn't change was the bathtub under the intercooler. If that doesn't fix it I've cracked the intake somehow? The sound is dependent on engine temp! Gets worse after boost. Fixes itself under engine braking or idle vacuum.

Very aggravating! :D :D

Fun to rip around though, yesterday was the first drive of the year already have gone through 1/4 tank of fuel. Capable machine.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention earlier that another reason I'm not able to make the switch to long tube headers, is that my Mustang's suspension is also lowered by approx 1.3" front and by 1.5" rear and concerned that by adding long tubes may cause possible clearance issues with pavement scraping :shrug:

My car's lowered 1.5" all around and I've only ever scraped once- when my front tires dropped off a probably 2 or 3 inch high dropoff where they stripped the pavement on the street that connects to mine. Hit one collector on the edge of the asphalt, but thanks to JBA's stout 14 gauge construction it didn't do anything. Not sure about other brands but the JBA's tuck up inside the frame rails pretty good and are close enough to the front wheels that it really shouldn't be something you have to worry about scraping.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If it would help, I can take some pics of my Kooks, they are absolutely no lower than stock exhaust. If you scrape them, you've already done a lot more damage on other parts. I will say this though, I kept reading about doing LT headers was an eight hour job, I thought pfssss, I've been working on cars for over forty years, I'll get it done a lot faster than that. Eight hours.

About the only concern, I'd have after adding long tubes would be the location of high-flow cats as far as scraping is concerned. Therefore if I were going to upgrade to long tubes? I would definitely be including high-flow cats, rather than run off-road. What I'm going to try out first, is find out how loud the Roush Extreme cat-back is with my current Off-Road ProChamber setup including stock manifolds. If I'm not satisfied? Then my next step will be taking the long tube header route with high-flow cats, if there's enough clearance? otherwise, the next step would be to add glass packs instead. So if it wouldn't be asking too much to take some pics of your Kooks? I'd be really interested in taking a look at them, Phil.

My car's lowered 1.5" all around and I've only ever scraped once- when my front tires dropped off a probably 2 or 3 inch high dropoff where they stripped the pavement on the street that connects to mine. Hit one collector on the edge of the asphalt, but thanks to JBA's stout 14 gauge construction it didn't do anything. Not sure about other brands but the JBA's tuck up inside the frame rails pretty good and are close enough to the front wheels that it really shouldn't be something you have to worry about scraping.

Like I just mentioned in my response to Phil's post, I'm going to try out how loud the Roush Extreme Cat-back is going sound like with my current off/road ProChamber setup at first and if I don't feel that it's loud enough to my liking? then my step will be taking the long tube header route with either high-flow cats or with glass packs :shrug:

Last edited:

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My cats tuck up pretty well too. Only thing I ever really scraped was when I had the mid-mufflers still installed, and that only happened a couple times.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty much the Roush Extreme cat-back exhaust are axle back deletes w/mid-mounted resonators. So I'm hoping they won't end up scraping :shrug:

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the Roush Extreme cat-back exhaust are axle back deletes w/mid-mounted resonators. So I'm hoping they won't end up scraping :shrug:
I have cervinis side pipes and nothing in the center scraps. The little side tips do only on big speed bumps so I avoid them like the plague.
8a08b2ed7c12f8b4aa52ebd1403ba6d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I understand his concern, I had to raise my coilovers back up a little after longtubes. Scraped my high flow cats everywhere on speedbumps etc. I'm having an exhaust shop mount them as much forward and up as possible soon, its driving me nuts.

The problem is the longtubes move the cats towards the middle of the car, so they are not lifted over a bump by the wheels but hit the bump when the front wheels are already down again.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Here are some pic's I took this morning. My car is pretty low but I have the option of raising it on the fly with the Airlift. A little dark, It was early.

You can see the Kook's High Flow Cats where the white rocks are on the driveway.
010.JPG

003.JPG

Yes, I have scraped them.
012.JPG

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Do you know what size the resonators are? The Magnaflows I had mid-mounted were 4" case so they were pretty decent size. And honestly it was only extreme cases where they scraped. Our local Ford garage has a ridiculous breakover angle into their service bays (it's on the side of a hill), I took it there once for an inspection and they had to put boards on the ground to get it over that "ridge," and it still scraped the mid mufflers on the ground- and that's back when I only had P springs on it, I never went back there again.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back