What have you done to your mustang today?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Got my o/r h and gt500 axle backs now ready to tune the car. Just gotta get the resonators cut out. I email'd the tuner so getting ready to order the base tune and the tuner device.

Only thing I haven't made my mind up on is if I want to get a cai. I've seen the dyno results and the gains aren't good. But there is a gain. Decisions decisions..

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Got my o/r h and gt500 axle backs now ready to tune the car. Just gotta get the resonators cut out. I email'd the tuner so getting ready to order the base tune and the tuner device.

Only thing I haven't made my mind up on is if I want to get a cai. I've seen the dyno results and the gains aren't good. But there is a gain. Decisions decisions..
Make sure you post a video of that exhaust!

I would pass on the CAI, even my tuner (who is a very well respected one) said the gains are minimal. Money can be better spent elsewhere...

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
Installed some suspension goodies....

Lower Control Arms
HD Adjustable Panhard Bar
Panhard Bar Brace
BMR Relocation Brackets
Koni STR.T
GT 500 Strut Mounts
Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs

Only a couple crappy pics... sorry.

DDECF164-163E-4723-A91B-CC55C5813087.jpg

76E6F6AC-5C56-4B1D-A78B-F54649BCBA82.jpg

FE7A709C-AF42-4C16-8F71-AECEEF4CF389.jpg

07E27C7D-50AF-4150-B268-0CB0C4C7F9B5.jpg

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I would pass on the CAI, even my tuner (who is a very well respected one) said the gains are minimal. Money can be better spent elsewhere...

Gains are in the neighborhood of 6-12whp with the o/r pipe in the picture. Its debatable on whether its worth 320-380$. People spend twice that on driveshafts and don't get much better value out of it. Plus the car will be staying NA for two years or so. May as well make it as quick as I can since I'm going to be suffering with 450hp for a while.

I'm still thinking on it though. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Took on a Niteshades VHT project over the weekend and centered the Shelby lettering across the decklid.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gains are in the neighborhood of 6-12whp with the o/r pipe in the picture. Its debatable on whether its worth 320-380$. People spend twice that on driveshafts and don't get much better value out of it. Plus the car will be staying NA for two years or so. May as well make it as quick as I can since I'm going to be suffering with 450hp for a while.

I'm still thinking on it though. Lol

If you get a used one it is not as expensive.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Gains are in the neighborhood of 6-12whp
Maybe PEAK horsepower...that money can be better spent else where IMO. Suspension, sticky tires, etc...I would only invest in a CAI is all that was done and I didn't mind spending $300 or so for maybe 3-5 real world horsepower. The OEM airbox is actually quite good, unless you change to a Cobra Jet intake or such...

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The chart I saw showed gains throughout the band. Jpc posted it. Also beefcake picked up .1 ET and 2mph trap from a cai.

I decided to skip the cai now. I'm going to get lethal over axle pipes instead and keep the factory ones intact. Everything but the headers will be aftermarket now.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The chart I saw showed gains throughout the band. Jpc posted it. Also beefcake picked up .1 ET and 2mph trap from a cai.

I decided to skip the cai now. I'm going to get lethal over axle pipes instead and keep the factory ones intact. Everything but the headers will be aftermarket now.

Yes, but at what horsepower level were they? The stock airbox and filter flow plenty up to a certain point and only when you get over a particular power level does it begin to be an obstruction. I could see where a 400hp setup would not see any gains from an aftermarket CAI but an 800hp setup definitely would.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure by reading his posts he is NA and not getting anywhere near 800hp.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I took off the right rear wheel/tire and looked for the reason why that tire would be losing a few psi every month.
Found a small nail right in the middle of the tread.
Pulled nail, plugged hole, reset all tire pressures, put wheel/tire back on car, and re-torqued all the lug nuts

Also installed new Ford Racing rear bump stops in the girlfriend's Shelby :)

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score

But isn't his car modded to the gills? I've seen first hand little to no real world gains from a CAI on these cars with basic bolt ons. You can't believe ANY venders claims as they are selling the product. I think Steeda claims a gain of something like 22 rwhp, and a independent test showed like 2 rwhp LOL. You made the right choice waiting, but just delete the resonators from your stock OTA pipes. It will be way cheaper and have the same gains...I was in the same boat as you and just deleted the resonators for like $50. They can always be put back in if you want.

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
If you skip the CAI a drop in filter may be a good compromise.
I can't say I agree unless you just wanna be able to re-use them. The Motorcraft filter has been shown to flow as good, or better as any aftermarket filter for 1/4 the price. I think someone actually did back to back dynos and some of the aftermarkets ones flowed less.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A point with the CAI is that you HAVE to have tune to do the CAI so you really can't compare a CAI only and the tune may show gains of 22 hp as a combination of the CAI, 93 octane/more timing...

The only test I could say is legit is the one WBT/Kdanner did at the track when they had a CAI on, made a run, pulled the CAI off and put the stock air box on and made another pass...but....I would think a tune adjustment would have been made in that scenario so it may not be accurate.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can't say I agree unless you just wanna be able to re-use them. The Motorcraft filter has been shown to flow as good, or better as any aftermarket filter for 1/4 the price. I think someone actually did back to back dynos and some of the aftermarkets ones flowed less.

I would like to see that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back