Whiteline Watts Link Failure

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
The weld definitely was screwed up. I am hoping the replacement they send is done better.

yr3fJEe.jpg

I can't really get a closer image. But there are plenty of pores visible in the weld right where it would contact the plate.

Last edited:

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
The weld definitely was screwed up. I am hoping the replacement they send is done better.

yr3fJEe.jpg

I can't really get a closer image. But there are plenty of pores visible in the weld right where it would contact the plate.

Yep perosity. Either they didn't have enough gas coverage or they had a fan blowing on them while working blowing the gas away. Bad weld

c_reber

Reaction score
I had the exact same failure on my Whiteline unit. They warrantied it quickly. No problems since then.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Do you mean billet? Isn't cast pretty much always more durable than billet?

By add threads I meant machine threads in the single piece cast.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Definitely not. Cast material has no grain, can be porous, and brittle.

Forged>Wrought>Cast

Fabricated parts involve welding which can introduce heat risers. Penetrant inspection would reveal indications which could eventually fail but cost is definitely an issue.

If it were my car I'd make a replacement out of wrought alloy steel and make any fillets as large as possible.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Funny you say that... I just dropped mine off in the engineers office!! LOL! I am going to see how hard it will be to machine one out of 4140CM. He is going to test the RC and see what's what. Only thing is I need to get the bushing out or make one out of oil impregnated bronze. Not sure what stresses that would put to the unit tho....

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
This is the first I have heard of this type of failure on the watts. I know Terry at Vorshlage has ran the Whiteline watts on his racecar and beat the shit out of it with no failures. Maybe he can chim in. I'm sure Whiteline will make it right. Keep us informed on the outcome!

I too run a Whiteline with 335 rears on 11.5" rims. I don't road-race.

I was about to tell you I had never seen another failure such as this on any forum...

I had the exact same failure on my Whiteline unit. They warrantied it quickly. No problems since then.

...but then I saw that.

I am hoping Whiteline re-engineers this part and provides those of us who run one with an upgraded replacement.

I already suffered a stripped diff cover due to improper torque specs in Whiteline's instructions (they sent me a new one) and I also snapped a factory flag-bolt= in two (sounded like a gun-shot) - again - bad torque spec in Whiteline's instructions.

Overall, I love the unit...it really improved the handling and feel of the car...but I don't want to be worrying about failure. Since Whiteline has now seen two of these failures, I think an upgrade to the faulty piece is definitely in order, with an available retrofit for us early adopters.

Here was my install thread:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98186&highlight=dimora's+whiteline

FYI my pic host is broken, but they say it will be back (along with all my pics) by the end of Nov or early December 2013.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I just talked to my engineer we are going to get a billet piece of 4140 and machine it brand new. Hopefully this sunday

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
I just talked to my engineer we are going to get a billet piece of 4140 and machine it brand new. Hopefully this sunday

If you guys do it, let me know how it turns out. I would be interested in buying one from you :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score

I was secretly hoping not to hear of anybody having the same problem. How long before it failed? And how long have you had the replacement on?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Not the first failure I've heard of on that unit.... the other one was not made public but I have my sources. Might be more, but two is enough. :)

Oh, make that 3....

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Not the first failure I've heard of on that unit.... the other one was not made public but I have my sources. Might be more, but two is enough. :)

Oh, make that 3....

You might want to clarify before you start spreading rumors.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not getting into that fight, and frankly don't need too. There are two documented failures right here, and I know of a 3rd. If you don't believe me, that's ok. :)

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone has bad parts sometime. I will know tomorrow if we can make them and a rough cost.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
Parts fail. Searching for Fays2 failure on Google has returned results with at least one person claiming the Fays2 unit failed. Several regarding the Lakewood unit as well as both Shelby designs.

Searching for Koni failures also yields a huge list of results.

Coyote engines failing, 3v engines failing. Googling Prius breakdown returns tons of results.

While I wish Whiteline would make this bell crank out of a solid piece I think that you are being somewhat silly here as there are many more examples of non-failing units than failing ones.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back