WTF?? Another broken plug?

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is the second HTO plug that has broken in the same manner. The ceramic around the center electrode has broken and fallen to the grounding bar causing a misfire. The first one was on cylinder #6, this one was cylinder #4. Anyone know what can cause this? In both cases it happened at WOT in 4th. Neither time was high RPM, both times it was about 4500 when I felt it stumble. Engine is a 302 stroker with a Hellion pushing 11 psi, 60# injectors. It makes ~550/520 at the wheels.

Sorry for the crappy pic, took it with my cell.
IMG_0039.JPG

Last edited:

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
I had one break just like that also. I noticed a miss at the end of last season. I discovered it this spring when I changed the plugs. Mine was on a turbo car with ~18psi boost.

EDIT: found pics.
GEDC0427.jpg

GEDC0430.jpg

05Redfire

Reaction score
I've had that happen in engines with normal plugs straight from the factory non high performance vehicles. Just crappy plug defects IMHO. (I know out plugs are not crappy brands just a statement)

J2L06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Well now I have seen pictures of Motorcraft, Autolight, Champion and Brisk
from our engines with broken ceramics so its not brand specific.
Just that long end is very susceptible to cracking.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That really sucks. These plugs only have about 300-400 miles on them and so far two out of the eight have broken. Never had that problem before.

Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
Ford racing plugs have never let me down, been using them since 05 and they have done me right

BLKS197

Formerly TAJoerg
Reaction score
When Eric Brooks was up in Buffalo, NY last week, we discussed this problem he has also seen with HT0 plugs. A set of Brisk plugs will eliminate your head aches.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
My tuner figured I may have had a touch of detonation and cracked a plug. Sort of a nice fuse I guess (better than a ringland). Also, my plugs were in the car for 2 boosted years, and actually were in my engine when it popped 2 years ago.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My tuner figured I may have had a touch of detonation and cracked a plug. Sort of a nice fuse I guess (better than a ringland). Also, my plugs were in the car for 2 boosted years, and actually were in my engine when it popped 2 years ago.
That is kinda what I was thinking too. Never had this problem before, just since the new motor and new tune. I do need to get back to the tuner to check some things and work on some drive ability issues. I am also chasing a tapping in the driver's side head. Not sure if it is a collapsed lash adjuster or sticky valve or what. Just about ready to return it to stock and get rid of it.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Detonation is what causes that. It's not a plug defect, it's a tuning problem. If you're seeing that happen, you need to back off the timing or make whatever changes needed. Everytime I get aggressive with boost or timing, I lose plugs in that manner. FRPP plugs do that as well.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I started with these issues on my plugs (in 06) and eventually ended up melting plugs and pistons. Nothing like a call from the tuner and he says , "we had to put a new set of plugs in there since the tips blew off four of them, must have been a bad set " . Soon after is when my car never went there again .

My vote is on the detonation or lean . That is what my isssue was at the time . (20 psi on 93 oct with only gt500 pumps) The tuner says " I think we have a fuel pump issue , the car is shutting down at 5500 rpm and I only have 18 deg of timing in it ". Good luck !

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
This is the result of pushing it too far. Luckily I caught it before any more damage happened:

65b7eeb7.jpg

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn, that looks nasty! I'm not sure what is going on in the tune. If it is detonation I don't know why I have it. I'm not really pushing it, 15* timing and 11 psi is where it is at. AFR shows 11.5 @WOT so I'm not sure WTF is wrong. At least that is where everything was when it was tuned.

I do have a ticking/knocking sound that is coming from the drivers side. Sounds like something in the valve train but I haven't been able to find it. The sound isn't always there. And more evident on cold starts. I haven't been getting on it because of this. It does go very lean at tip in, and I don't mean when I am getting on it. Just giving it gas, like starting off or shifting gears. It will go lean for a second or two then comes back to normal. That is why I am wondering if I have a sticky valve or lifter acting up.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
It does go very lean at tip in, and I don't mean when I am getting on it. Just giving it gas, like starting off or shifting gears. It will go lean for a second or two then comes back to normal.

That is a problem in your tune. A bad Maf transfer function, transient fueling, and a couple other things cause that. I've been fighting it for 6 months and finally got a tune that corrected it.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is a problem in your tune. A bad Maf transfer function, transient fueling, and a couple other things cause that. I've been fighting it for 6 months and finally got a tune that corrected it.

Yea, I know I need to get it back to the tuner. Just haven't had time. The only two days I had off in the last two weeks he was in CA. Now I am on 14 straight dogs. I just aint sure I want to make any WOT pulls with the noise in it. I'm sure he could work on the drive ability stuff though.

Eric Brooks

forum member
Reaction score
Detonation is what causes that. It's not a plug defect, it's a tuning problem. If you're seeing that happen, you need to back off the timing or make whatever changes needed. Everytime I get aggressive with boost or timing, I lose plugs in that manner. FRPP plugs do that as well.

I've tuned many cars with HT0 plugs and never once had a problem. I agree that detonation could cause a plug to do that, however I had a turbo car in my shop that broke 3 plugs like the original picture. No burnt electrode, just the porcelain making a clean break.

The boost was low, the timing was very conservative, and the airfuel was richer than I normally run.

The first time it happened, I was a bit baffled. At inspecting the plug further, there was no "pepper" that you typically see on a detonated plug. There was no melting.

I spoke with Ken @ Diablosport and he too said he had ran into this and is why he only tunes with Brisk plugs now.

I put in a set of Brisk plugs, and never broke another one. I was then able to run the boost up, and lean the mixture back to what I consider safe on that setup.

Now, the plug you yourself posted a picture of with the electrode melted is most definitely detonation.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Now, the plug you yourself posted a picture of with the electrode melted is most definitely detonation.

I agree, mine was definitely a detonation issue. In addition to getting my tune worked out, I also may switch to the Brisk plugs to see if they're more durable.

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
i have been using brisk plugs since i bought my car back in 08 with 0 problems.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The brisks are also a one piece plug. Are they gappable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back