Chrome pony no more....

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I painted mine tonight using Krylon Fusion Satin Black. The damn thing looks silver. What did I do wrong? :wtf1:

emblem.jpg

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I'm confused.. how did you take the GT thing off?

I read people used fishing line.. but did they just "saw" it all around it but not through the 2 pins or do you have to go through the pins?

then after that its:

150 grit.. sand a little

spray with flat back paint for plastic
then clear coat.. ?

I want mine to be back/gray.. will look good with carbon fiber hood..

You just saw around the pins then pull em off. Be careful as its kinda flimsy. I just sanded it with some fine sandpaper I had in the garage. I bought rustoleum for plastic(doesnt say flat or gloss on can but looks glossy). I did spray with some satin clear but that gave it a grey tint over the black. I didnt like it so I sanded down and repainted, but that might be exactly what your looking for.

Longhorn............dude I dunno. Are you sure it was black paint? The newspaper even looks silver.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
The paint on the newspaper really looks silver. Can you take the can back to the store where you bought it and exchange it?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Oh, I also took care of my chrome pony this past week, and my GT emblems. I will be buying a SHR Faux gas cap that is black soon also.
mg7233.jpg

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you sure the CAP didnt say satin black? maybe someone swapped caps

Nope. I looked at the UPC label and it said 'Satin Black'.

Here's how it looks on my car:

gtemblem.jpg

I haven't fully mounted it yet because I'm not sure if I like it. Also, I was looking on this forum and it looks a lot like this guys painted emblem (whtcanbrwnd04u):
IMG_7973.jpg

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
longhorn, I think yours would look better if you had a matte black blackout panel around the faux cap.

Where would I find one?

I'm also now thinking of doing matte black Super Snake stripes down the car. I need a new hood (current one has hail damage) and I'm looking at the Steeda Cowl Hood. So I might just leave the faux gap cap the color it is. :question: I haven't reapplied it to the car yet.

BuckeyeBOSS

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone find a brand and shade of black paint that is VERY close to the shade of black of the grille?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Thats why everytime you wash the car take the magnet off and clean behind it :)

Tradewind showers dude.............they come and go quickly here. My magnet shrunk anyway, silver paint was showing on both sides and bottom. Its now a washing machine ornament! LOL

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Tradewind showers dude.............they come and go quickly here. My magnet shrunk anyway, silver paint was showing on both sides and bottom. Its now a washing machine ornament! LOL
Eh well i royally fucked mine up taking it off this last time so I could paint my trunk emblem. It was hot outside and I imagine the magnet part became brittle and it broke all up so I have just left it off now. I like it better now that all my emblems are black I dont feel the need for the blackout panel anymore. Ill snap a couple pics tomorrow.

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
It looks good, nice job. Last year I installed a 2010 black chrome pony in my grill. I painted my GT badges too but left those a "matt" black color.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back