05 to 09 coyote generation 2 swap! Guide and help tips

mattjames

Reaction score
You shouldn't need the box. The sensor should be hooked up like factory in the trans harness. 5V ref, SIGRTN, and sensor. Double check the wires

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You shouldn't need the box. The sensor should be hooked up like factory in the trans harness. 5V ref, SIGRTN, and sensor. Double check the wires
I think he is using the control pack and the wiring is not there for the speed sensor. I could be wrong, I did not re-read the thread.

I used the factory harness and pcm, and flashed the control pack strategy to a stock pcm. Speedo works.

amac20

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread. Can anyone tell me clearly how they wired the speedo in the following application? 2005 auto v6 car with gen 1 coyote swap and mt82 trans using the first gen of the ford racing power pack controller. The cluster has been swapped to the gt cluster and info buttons were added. All other gauges are operational at this point. There is no 3v computer on the car. We were able to get the three wire speed sensor in the trans wired using the 5v from the Dakota box and repinning the ground and speed wire into the power pack harness to the ecu. I’ve got no speedo though and I’m not sure what to do to get the signal to the cluster? I’ve found 100 threads but no one lays out the actual instal steps to make this work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 81146

View attachment 81147

View attachment 81148
We’re you able to keep your TCS, ABS, and AC?

CoyoteRed

Reaction score
Got it figured out. Had the signal wire mixed up. It’s working now and was able to use the dakota box to dial in the speed. All systems work aside from traction control.

Caleb_R

Reaction score
New guy here. I bought an ‘06 Mustang Gt with the 3V and tranny already taken out of it. With the car, a coyote motor and Tremec T56 Magnum XL and McLeod clutch assembly came with it but we’re not in the car. Basically I have to put it together. I have the stock ECU and wiring harness but was told it would not work in my motor. It would be helpful if someone could fill in some blanks. I think I have a 11-14 Gen2 coyote. Do I need an aftermarket ECU and wiring harness? Also does it have to return style fuel system? Fox cast media on YouTube ran stock fuel line and said that it worked. If you have questions feel free to ask because I prolly left a lot of details out for some to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattjames

Reaction score
New guy here. I bought an ‘06 Mustang Gt with the 3V and tranny already taken out of it. With the car, a coyote motor and Tremec T56 Magnum XL and McLeod clutch assembly came with it but we’re not in the car. Basically I have to put it together. I have the stock ECU and wiring harness but was told it would not work in my motor. It would be helpful if someone could fill in some blanks. I think I have a 11-14 Gen2 coyote. Do I need an aftermarket ECU and wiring harness? Also does it have to return style fuel system? Fox cast media on YouTube ran stock fuel line and said that it worked. If you have questions feel free to ask because I prolly left a lot of details out for some to understand.

11-14 is Gen 1 and will work best for your car to have everything work!
Check out my channel. I actually went into depth on what I did.
Www.YouTube.com/mattsoppa

Caleb_R

Reaction score
I can’t figure out if the engine I have is a mustang or f150 coyote.

REBRE 6015 HE This was on the engine

I’ve gotten results saying that it’s a 11-14 roush motor and one’s saying it’s an 11-14 f150 motor. Regardless, at least I know it’s Gen 1 now

Caleb_R

Reaction score
I guess I should also say this. The previous owner of the car was a 22 year old kid who inherited some money. Bought a lot of things which included this car and everything thing I’ve stated with it, a motorcycle, and other frivolous things. He ended up crashing on his motorcycle, and well, this car has been sitting for three years basically. Thankfully, the next of kin was willing to sell it to me and I have help to put it back together, but I myself as a 20 year old will need a lot of help when it comes to understanding these things. I’d appreciate any and all information and help.

Suecra

Reaction score
I guess I should also say this. The previous owner of the car was a 22 year old kid who inherited some money. Bought a lot of things which included this car and everything thing I’ve stated with it, a motorcycle, and other frivolous things. He ended up crashing on his motorcycle, and well, this car has been sitting for three years basically. Thankfully, the next of kin was willing to sell it to me and I have help to put it back together, but I myself as a 20 year old will need a lot of help when it comes to understanding these things. I’d appreciate any and all information and help.

Easiest way is looking at the timing cover, or more obvious signs like the manifold or engine cover if its there. F150 cover has allocation for a larger route on the A/C belt.

ESP41

Reaction score
Gen 1 F150 Intake manifold is black and the Mustang is grey, unless you have a GT350 engine....

Much more detail in attachment.

Attachments

• How to Identify a Ford Coyote 5.0L Engine.pdf
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Caleb_R

Reaction score
Well I have both a grey and a black intake manifold. The oil filter adapter will tell me whether it is a mustang or f150 coyote. Because the one the previous owner bought but didn’t install doesn’t fit. But we haven’t looked at it too much.

CoyoteRed

Reaction score
Reviving again. Been tracking my gen 1 swapped 05. Car has been amazing aside from fuel venting issues. I have the return style aftermarket setup. Not sure if it’s pbh or just similar. Anyhow, the tank builds pressure and then I get a starvation issue about 15-20 min in when I’m recalling pushing it. Tried venting through a filter from the passenger side rather than going to the canister. Still had the same starvation issue but the filter was spraying gas. Any ideas? Im done for the season and don’t mind tearing it apart but I need to figure out a better setup for the track. Runs fine on the street.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Reviving again. Been tracking my gen 1 swapped 05. Car has been amazing aside from fuel venting issues. I have the return style aftermarket setup. Not sure if it’s pbh or just similar. Anyhow, the tank builds pressure and then I get a starvation issue about 15-20 min in when I’m recalling pushing it. Tried venting through a filter from the passenger side rather than going to the canister. Still had the same starvation issue but the filter was spraying gas. Any ideas? Im done for the season and don’t mind tearing it apart but I need to figure out a better setup for the track. Runs fine on the street.
It is boiling the fuel because of the return style system. It is returning hot fuel to the tank.

CoyoteRed

Reaction score
So how do I fix it? There has to be a way to get this thing to stop throwing fuel door warnings and having venting issues or building pressure. Need some direction to get this fixed.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Easy, go back to returnless. This is not a venting problem. This is a hot fuel problem, way too hot.

You could dial down the pump in the tune, you basically have way too much fuel supply. But if you take too much pump away, you risk going lean.
Ps: this also creates a fire hazzard, you are risking losing your car.

Back