2006 Speedometer not working - Ideas?

StangRick

Reaction score
Driving my GT the other day and the speedometer is reading "0". Stop and restart and it read 40 when I was going about 65. Do these cars have a traditional cable to the tranny? or are they by wire? Any ideas on where to start? Thanks in advance for your insight.

StangRick

Reaction score
Thanks, so what, generally is involved in that? Are the stepper motors available just thru Ford or is there another source. I assume you remove the instrument cluster and they are inside/behind?

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, I think there is a topic discussing removing and replacing the stepper motors. I did all if them at once so that I would not have to open it up again. Took about two hours total. I found the motors on ebay for under $20.00. Soldering iron and some patience

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, those steppers are available on ebay and amazon.
Replace all of them. You need decent soldering skills to do this.
Need to remove and disassemble your cluster. Remove all the guage pointers. Unsolder old motors, solder in new.
You will need to power on cluster to install the needles, so take note where they were with key ON, before disassembly.
Or send cluster out to have the motors swapped out. I remember the service costing under $100.

StangRick

Reaction score
Wow, Thanks for the info. I can certainly do that. I appreciate everyone on this website.

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I did all that...turns out to be a $10 sensor on the transmission. It bolts on...easy cheesy. I know Im late to the thread so if anyone else searches and finds this with the same problem...try that first.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Scanning for codes, viewing live data from the pcm first would have revealed that. ;)

bambam 06

Reaction score
I did all that...turns out to be a $10 sensor on the transmission. It bolts on...easy cheesy. I know Im late to the thread so if anyone else searches and finds this with the same problem...try that first.
Can you give out the part number, thank you.

SgtThor

Reaction score
Is this similar to the entire cluster of gauges reading incorrectly or not at all? The only thing currently working reliably on 05 GT 'vert is the gas gauge. I'd really like to fix this...

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You need to have the gauge stepper motors replaced. You can either DIY with new x27 units bought from eBay if you have good soldering skills, or pay someone else to do it.

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Well at least you've performed a preventative measure by pre-emptively replacing the gauge stepper motors. I'm going to do mine soon 'cause four out of six of my gauges don't seem to like the colder weather. The only ones that consistently work properly are the CHT gauge and the battery voltmeter.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back