2008 "tigermachine II" Bullitt Mustang build, Pics & Video on Post #518 ...

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some great upgrades Terry! Lets hope it is not too long before you get the Tigermachine back.
Scott,

Thanks and I can tell you I am ready to get it once again back home.

Be nice to be able to drive it around here locally as well as to Mustang events.

Hopefully not a long wait.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Up date as of today, May 15, 2014 on Bullitt Mustang ...

Guys,

Here is the Up-Date on my Bullitt Mustang as of this morning for those interested.

I have not posted anything for a reason.

George at Brenspeed handles their TX. Shop entirely for all matters from IN.
That takes a lot of his daily working hrs. as you can imagine plus his other duties Brent has him doing at the Pierceton, IN. Shop.
I'm mentioning the above as George had not had time to look into the recent noise in my valve-train.
That is why Brent had it picked up in the enclosed trailer and brought back to them in IN.
George now handles the "tigermachine II" exclusively.
No other Tech will now be working on it, period.
That means I have to have patience on this end.
George as I have explained above has other Full-Time responsibilities that Do-Not include working on the, "tigerhonaker II".

The Up-Date ...

As of last weekend George decided to come in on his own and look into what and where was the ticking/noise coming from.

He located the issue on the passenger side under that valve cover.

It was a Stock Ford Cam Follower loose.

Here is what is now going to take place as I received the following E-Mail from George.

Sent: Thu, May 15, 2014 11:24 am

Subject: RE: Fixing the "tigermachine"

Tiger,

I ordered Comp Beehive 26125-24 springs and 710-24 retainers.
These were suggested by the head engineer at comp cams.

(I run the 127450 Comp Blower Cams)
(The valve springs right now are the Ford Racing that came with the Ford Racing Heads)

http://www.compcams.com/3valve/COMP5-124.pdf

(If above link does not work, just Copy & Paste to your Browser)

XFI™ SPR FORD 4.6L/5.4L MODULAR 3V CAMS

(SPRING & PHASER MODS REQUIRED)

The COMP Cams® XFI™ SPR (Springs and Phaser Mods Required)
Camshafts are the best way to achieve the most horsepower

and torque increases possible with the popular Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3
Valve engines. This last group of cam sets

is available for both naturally aspirated and supercharged engines, and
each version is offered in three performance levels.

Designed to work with a modified Ford variable cam timing (VCT) system,
these camshafts are direct replacement

components. Working with the required COMP Cams® Cam Phaser Limiter
Kit (Part #5449; patent pending), these XFI™

SPR Cams optimize both low and high rpm performance. As noted by the
COMP Cams® engineering staff during extensive

dyno testing, these camshafts provided the biggest power and torque
improvements of any cam series they’ve ever tested

in the Ford Modular 3 Valve engine.

We are getting the Jesel followers from them, (Jesel) it will take a couple of days for the paperwork to go through once that is done.
(Brenspeed is going to be a Jesel Authorized Dealer)
They can be assembled in 2-3 days, then ship from Arizona that will be another 3-4.
I will have the Heads off of your car this Saturday.

With the above being said by me and the recent E-Mail from George you are now completely up to date.

Here are a few Pics. I received from George as attachments in his E-Mail this morning.

COMP CAMS BEEHIVE HIGH LIFT 4.6 3V VALVE SPRINGS SET

http://www.brenspeed.com/26125-24.html

(If above link does not work, just Copy & Paste to your Browser)

Comp Cams Brochure
http://www.compcams.com/3valve/COMP5-124.pdf

Jesel OHC Billet Aluminum Followers
http://www.jesel.com/valvetrain/index.php/followers

Terry

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Wow. Are those followers like a 125 bucks each? Holy cow! Very nice upgrade.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I stumbled upon something a little discomforting; this motor was put together with the 127450 cams and the Ford Racing heads, using whatever springs they came with.

Now, I've been running these cams for a year and a half, and I know the cams well enough to also know that upgraded springs are required. I even run the same 26125 springs and 710 retainers as they want to put in now. However, looking the heads up on google gave me this:

Assembled with factory guides, production springs, valves, retainers, locks, and seals
(source: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11406)

To me, that says stock springs, but I could be wrong. Somebody please correct me if I am.

If I'm not wrong, and Terry, if you didn't specifically tell Brenspeed not to upgrade the springs when the 127450 cams got added, somebody over there definitely didn't do their homework.

If that really is the case, they should foot the rebuild cost for this, because this is basic damn knowledge; you don't run the SPR cams without limiting/locking the phasers as well as upgrading the springs. People on this forum know me well enough to know that I will call out bullshit when I see it. If the springs in the Ford Racing heads really are stock, then this is bullshit.

Also, I believe the Jesel followers are an unnecessary and ridiculously pricey upgrade.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow. Are those followers like a 125 bucks each? Holy cow! Very nice upgrade.
Tim,

I think the parts are something like $3,000.00 dollars for the Jesel stock hydraulic application.

The solid Jesel is not recommended unless it is just strictly for a race application.

It's going to take some time to get them but in the end at least this time around my Ford Racing heads will be totally complete.

As I said in the other post I heard a ticking sort of noise from what seemed like coming from the passenger-side under the valve cover.

Thankfully I was like only 4-miles from home over on Columbia Hwy.

Sent a text to Brent and he said just drive it, (Slow) and I will have it picked up so we can check it out.

(Don't start it anymore once you get it home)

They, (George & Brent) figured since they had it up there they may as well also pull the heads and have the Ford Racing valve springs changed to the Comp Beehive racing springs.

Then there will be no doubt it is as good as it can possibly be once these things are done.

I'm totally in on the changes as I want to know in my mind it is all as good as it can be.

Some things just take time and for the dollars I now have in the Bullitt I can certainly wait until it is completed and back home.

I will say that in my case Brenspeed has done everything I could possibly expect in regards to supporting their work on my Bullitt.

No-Complaints.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I stumbled upon something a little discomforting; this motor was put together with the 127450 cams and the Ford Racing heads, using whatever springs they came with.

Now, I've been running these cams for a year and a half, and I know the cams well enough to also know that upgraded springs are required. I even run the same 26125 springs and 710 retainers as they want to put in now. However, looking the heads up on google gave me this:

(source: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11406)

To me, that says stock springs, but I could be wrong. Somebody please correct me if I am.

If I'm not wrong, and Terry, if you didn't specifically tell Brenspeed not to upgrade the springs when the 127450 cams got added, somebody over there definitely didn't do their homework.

If that really is the case, they should foot the rebuild cost for this, because this is basic damn knowledge; you don't run the SPR cams without limiting/locking the phasers as well as upgrading the springs. People on this forum know me well enough to know that I will call out bullshit when I see it. If the springs in the Ford Racing heads really are stock, then this is bullshit.

Also, I believe the Jesel followers are an unnecessary and ridiculously pricey upgrade.
Ramus & Members,

Hey man I don't have any issue at all you saying what you think and know or your opinion.

I just saw your post as I was replying to Tim that's why I have not used the (Multi-Post) option here.

I personally don't know which springs come on the Ford Racing heads to be honest.

I figured they came with up-graded springs on those heads but like I said I don't actually know.

I can tell you that Brenspeed is doing IMO exactly what they should do in this situation.

They immediately had the Bullitt picked up and are handling everything as per our discussions between them and me.

I'll also add the following comments and before any of the clowns on here jump on this I'm telling the following as I see it.
(I have no issue at all saying what I think so no I'm not covering Brenspeed's ass)

I don't think there is any Company/Shop out there that is perfect.
The people that work at them as well as the owners are just human.
Humans make mistakes just like I have over my life time.
So, here is the bottom-line on the above as far as I am concerned.
If ???
Brenspeed did overlook anything initially they stepped completely up to the bat and are taking care of business.
That's all I really expect and after soon to be on this earth for 69-yrs. I have come to have some degree of Patience & Humility in dealing with others.

I don't intend on making excuses for other people or shops I simply say here what I think as it applies to me.

Speaking of the Jesel roller followers.
I totally agree with you that the cost is way up there.
I had another member, (Earl) mention to me about running the Jesel on mine in the 1st place.
I did not go there as I just did not think at the time they were a real asset for my application.
Brenspeed also did not mention them and I did not mention or question using them to Brenspeed.

But ..........

A change of thinking on this is where I am now.
Brenspeed did mention it to me this time after the stock cam follower either came loose or was coming loose making the ticking noise.
My thinking is I have a great deal of my dollars invested in mine at this point.
And Brenspeed/George did his research and came back to me and said Terry if you have the dollars I say let's go this time with the Jesel.
I fortunately at 68 yrs. old do have the necessary funds to go with them, (Jesel).
Once again this is my thinking and all of us have different mind sets on things.
Mine is this, Brenspeed has told me what they think and it was up to me then to either do it or pass on their recommendation.
I think if I passed on what they recommend and ............
The stock cam follower or followers FAIL !!!
There would be no point in me contacting Brenspeed and saying guys what are you going to do about this ???
It would be on my shoulders to except total responsibility for any future failure.
I'm not going to 2nd guess them on their recommendation going with the Jesel product.
I believe if I stick completely with what they say to do then it is very likely they will as always over the past 6-yrs. support me.
I want that support and I am willing to pay for it on this end.

I'll also add the following.
All of us post and discuss things on the internet.
Some of us tell what we really think and we try out best to be honest when we post.
Then there are the others that are actually nothing more than, Shit-Stirrers at best.
With me saying the above I hope there are enough grown adults still on S-197 that they can appreciate a member that will say what they really think.
I'm one of those that try my best not to Bull-Shit others on here.
I don't tell others what to do unless they ask me my opinion.
When I know something as a fact I say so.
When I simply give my opinion I also make it a point to say it is my opinion.

The thing I like about S-197 are 1st the Moderators and 2nd all the ongoing useful information from the adults on here.

Terry

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tiger said:
Brenspeed did overlook anything initially they stepped completely up to bat and are taking care of business.

I'm glad to see they are taking care of a good customer.
Tiger said:
The thing I like about S-197 are 1st the Moderators and 2nd all the ongoing useful information from the adults on here.
:lol: well the first part tells me you're clearly losing your mind... :poke:

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

It is my understanding that Terry is using the M-6049/6050-463VP3 heads, not the M-6049/6050-N3VPA heads (Terry please correct me if I am wrong). The 463VP3 heads come with upgrade valve springs. For my build I got the spring specs from FRPP and since I bought my cams from Brenspeed confirmed with Brent (he in turn with Comp Cams) that the springs where suitable with the 127450/127550 cams.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see they are taking care of a good customer.

:lol: well the first part tells me you're clearly losing your mind... :poke:

Dave,

Hey man you might already know this about me from my posting but I'll say it in Plain, Matter-of-Fact, English.

If Brenspeed Fucked me there would be No-Doubt in anyone's mind.

They are not perfect and man I sure am not !!!

I can except Non-Perfection as long as Business is taken care of me without me asking or pushing for it.

I have not had to do either, ever with Brenspeed as the years have rolled by.

I think any normal thinking person probably would think I have already lost my mind with the crazy-ass bull-shit I do with my Bullitt. :beerchug2:

Speaking of Mods here versus let's just say versus maybe where I am one.

At least you guys can take care of Business if the need arises !!!

Some Internet Mustang sites a Mod is for the most part in name only IMHO.

It is my understanding that Terry is using the M-6049/6050-463VP3 heads, not the M-6049/6050-N3VPA heads (Terry please correct me if I am wrong). The 463VP3 heads come with upgrade valve springs. For my build I got the spring specs from FRPP and since I bought my cams from Brenspeed confirmed with Brent (he in turn with Comp Cams) that the springs where suitable with the 127450/127550 cams.

Scott,

As I posted above the Ford Racing Heads I have I was pretty darn sure came with the Ford Racing valve springs.

I researched the crap out of them back when they were part of the initial project.

I do know Brenspeed has run the Comp Cams, (127450) for yrs. now with the Ford Racing Heads with the Up-Graded springs.

Maybe I should clarify something here on valve springs and me.
I asked George at Brenspeed if he would do me a Favor ???
Call Comp and talk with one of their engineers and simply ask about which springs to run with my Comp cams with phaser lock-outs.
Not because I thought the Ford Racing, Up-Graded-Springs would not work as I already know guys that are Buddies of mine running my cams and same Ford Racing Heads.
They have had, No-Issues !!!

My thinking was George was already going to be working on mine anyway so what the heck is the big deal to pulling the heads and sending them to
the machine-shop to have the Comp-Springs installed if Comp highly recommended them.

George said he would make that call to Comp and he did.
He got hold of the Head Engineer and was told by that engineer he would Highly recommend using the Comp Racing 26125-24.

So I said to George what do you think buddy ???
He said I'll pull your heads this coming Saturday and have them off to the machine-shop and have the Comp 26125-24 springs installed.
Was or is it totally necessary ???
Well, no one else has had any issues at all with running the Ford Racing Up-Graded-Springs over the past years in use.

I'm one of those fucking, nut-cases that after anything at all goes wrong to want everything then done as perfect as possible.
I will not let money then enter into my decision/decisions.
So, I said make it happen and thanks for making that call to Comp George it is appreciated.
Springs were ordered and the Jesel Billet Aluminum Followers will be coming ASAP.

I just want peace-of-Mind this go around on the engine and these things will do that for me.

Scott,

You asked which Ford Racing heads I have this is the Left-1 below.

http://www.brenspeed.com/m-6050-463vp3.html

Ford Racing 4.6L/5.4L HIGH FLOW CNC Ported 3V LEFT HAND Cylinder Head M-6050-463VP3

• New OEM production cylinder head casting
  • 5 axis CNC ported to increase flow and performance
  • 48 cc combustion chamber (Stock head is 51 cc)
  • Increased size 35.0 mm intake valves (Stock intake valve is 34 mm)
  • Increased size inconel 38.5 mm exhaust valves (Stock exhaust valve is 37.5 mm)
  • Intake runner volume: 214cc (Stock 174cc)
  • Exhaust runner volume: 73cc (Stock 62cc)
  • Intake flow rate at .600 lift: 291 CFM
  • Exhaust flow rate at .600 lift: 191 CFM (no pipe)
  • Fully assembled with bronze guides, light-weight steel retainers,upgraded valve springs
  • Includes Ford 4.6L 3-Valve Cam Phaser Limiter Kit
  • Does not include camshaft, followers and hydraulic lash adjusters
  • Use head changing kit M-6067-3V46
  • Requires 2008-2010 12mm spark plugs
  • Heads will fit early cars originally equipped with "High Thread" design spark plugs.
  • Requires spark plug and ignition coil update.
  • NOTE: Engines with late style 12mm spark plugs can be identified by
  • coil engineering number 8L3E. Engines with early style 16mm "High
  • Thread" design spark plugs can be identified by coil engineering 3L3E part number.
**If installing on the Brenspeed B-326 Boss Engine use head changing kit M-6067-3V50
*If replacing both sides, add the Right Hand Side Head (M-6049-463VP3) from the drop down menu above.

Terry

Last edited:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
There is definitely a reason why Brenspeed stays so busy. Repeat business! They have a GREAT reputation. The experience I had with them when I blew up my stock motor was being treated like family. Brent knew I was a mechanic that didn't have time because of my family nor enough space in the garage to do a build and swap myself. And quite frankly as much cash as I put into this motor i wanted their hands on it from start to finish. It was peak vert season and I wasn't going to putz around for months struggling to get it done myself even if I wanted to. He kept me up to date during the whole process and put me up in the guest house when I came up for a visit to break the motor and new Exedy Mach 500 clutch in and be present for the dyno run. Your in good hands Terry. Of course you know that!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is definitely a reason why Brenspeed stays so busy. Repeat business! They have a GREAT reputation. The experience I had with them when I blew up my stock motor was being treated like family. Brent knew I was a mechanic that didn't have time because of my family nor enough space in the garage to do a build and swap myself. And quite frankly as much cash as I put into this motor i wanted their hands on it from start to finish. It was peak vert season and I wasn't going to putz around for months struggling to get it done myself even if I wanted to. He kept me up to date during the whole process and put me up in the guest house when I came up for a visit to break the motor and new Exedy Mach 500 clutch in and be present for the dyno run. Your in good hands Terry. Of course you know that!

Tim,

I agree :beerchug2:

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the Jesel Custom OHC Followers ...

Overhead Ed 101

http://www.nmradigital.com/2011/02/17/overhead-ed-101/

NO PUSHRODS? LOOK NO FURTHER…

Last month we talked about pushrod camshaft design parameters, and
what it takes to make one of those camshafts perform properly under the
intense conditions found inside many of today’s top runners. This month,
we’ve decided to delve into the Modular powerplant; a chance to get
together and discuss technology with some of the best and brightest in
the industry was one that we didn’t want to pass up. We’ve built many
project engines over the years, and have never gotten too deep into the
technology behind the overhead-cam revolution, but that’s about to
change. Between this article and some others we have scheduled for the
upcoming pages of this very magazine, we hope to be able to share with
you the speed secrets you seek for your Modular machine. Ford’s Modular
powerplant and all other overhead-cam engines share many design
features. When compared to a pushrod design, the advantages of the
overhead-cam layout are many, and the downfalls are few. All overhead
valve (OHV) designs feature a single, centrally-located camshaft that
drives pushrods, which in turn actuate rocker arms, which move the valve
tip to open and close it – meaning that there are four moving parts for
each valve. An overhead cam (OHC) design like the Modular has fewer
parts – typically a camshaft and a follower much like a rocker arm are all
that’s needed to create the valve motion. Fewer moving parts equals less
mass, which in turn means a higher-revving valvetrain and reduced stress
on the moving parts. However, the drive system gains more complexity
over the single timing chain and gears of the OHV setup. Although at least
two timing chains (or four in a dual-OHC setup) and the associated
tensioners and bracketry add extra cost on the front end, the improved
engine breathing afforded by the OHC setup becomes well worth it to the
enthusiast. Read on as we consult with the experts on what it will take to
make your Modular rev-worthy…>>

REV IT UP

One of the inherent advantages to the Modular (OHC) engine design is its
improved breathing capabilities over the years-gone-by pushrod design.
Why is this, you ask? It’s not necessarily because of the improved
cylinder port layout that is a result of moving the camshafts atop the
cylinder heads, but mainly the reduced mass in the valvetrain assembly.
As we talked about in last month’s pushrod-based camshaft article,
anytime you can reduce mass in the valvetrain a corresponding gain in
RPM is the result. Dave Crower of Crower Cams and Equipment explained
at that time, “Every gram of weight that you can get off the valve is a
25RPM improvement. We’ve seen 1000RPM increases in a pushrod-style
engine by swapping to a titanium valve in a race application.” That’s where
the OHC Modular design excels – with no pushrods in the mix to add weight
(and flex), and a follower that’s half the weight of the typical OHV rocker
arm, the Modular has a leg up on the competition before the flag’s ever
dropped. The stock SOHC Modular powerplant in a ’99-’04 Mustang was
good for 6000RPM before giving up the ghost and the DOHC Four-Valve
Modular carried a 6500RPM redline from the factory. The OEM camshafts
were designed to make plenty of low-end torque, as the small 4.6L
displacement needs all of the help it can get, but modifications to the
entire engine can be made to take advantage of the Modular’s highrevving
capabilities. Even though there is less mass in the valvetrain, don’t let
that fool you into thinking that stock parts are good enough to spin your
Modular to the moon. As Jesel Engineering’s Bob McDonald explains,
“Regardless of what you do, you need to stabilize the valvetrain – it all
depends on how much you want to rev it. If you’re trying to get to
10,000RPM with it, the stock valvetrain just isn’t going to do it. You need
something with a roller tip on it so that it’s not skidding around on the
valve. Also, lighter weight helps out a lot – the same basic properties of
what you’d need to do with a pushrod engine still apply, even though there
aren’t any pushrods in these engines.”

Jesel’s steel roller followers have been on the market for a number of years
and perform admirably; in fact, we selected them for our Two-Valve
project engine build. They offer both a hydraulic- or solid-lash-post
design.

In a typical pushrod engine, valvetrain geometry is a huge issue; without
the correct pushrod length the valve will not open properly and too much
(or too little) of a rocker ratio will affect engine performance. These
issues are in the past with the Modular engine platform. As McDonald told
us, “With a Modular there are no geometry issues – the follower is wedged
between the cam and the valve. The main problem we faced when
designing our roller follower was getting the parts to last, as many of the
stock pieces we had seen were cracked between the tip and the roller.
There are no angles or heights or anything else to worry about like you
would have to with a pushrod-style application.” One of the ways that
Jesel engineered their product around the limitations of the package was
to use proven components. “We replicated a stock follower in terms of
dimensions, but engineered it to last and perform well. We used all of the
same materials we use in our other rocker-arm assemblies that last well in
high-RPM engines—the same nose wheel, the same kinds of bearings, the
same materials,” McDonald explained.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING – ESPECIALLY ON THE NEW STUFF

The ability to turn more RPM is one of the main advantages of the OHC
design, and the last several years have been incredible for anyone who
makes a living tuning on cars with one of these engines. According to
Comp Cams’ Billy Godbold, “Any time you advance the cam, the intake
valves get closer to the pistons, and any time you retard the cam the
exhaust valves get closer. With the stock 3V cam phasers changing the
cam timing by as much as 60 degrees, that really limits how much cam
you can put into the engine if your goal is performance. Say you took a
Three-Valve Ford and put a big old cam into it and didn’t do anything else,
you’d crash all the exhaust valves into the pistons. It really puts you into
a box in terms of what cams you can put into a Three-Valve engine
because you have to follow the original exhaust lobe profile to keep from
banging valves into the pistons.” However, there are a number of ways
around this problem, mainly the use of a phase limiter, offered by several
different aftermarket companies. Since the camshaft is moving around a
ten-degree range of retard under full throttle (the rest of the swing is
during part-throttle operation), using a limiter of some sort helps quite a
bit with maximizing available power on the dragstrip—as with any other
performance parts, you need to determine what makes the most sense for
your program.

Ford’s ingenious use of oil pressure to control camshaft timing has made
the Modular-style engine a heavy-hitter despite its lack of displacement.
Having computer control over this most-important engine parameter was
unheard of even ten years ago.

A conversation with noted tuner Ken Bjonnes of DiabloSport revealed more.
“The Three-Valve is pretty unique as compared to the Two- and
Four-Valve since you have variable cam timing and the charge motion
plates. This brought the need to get very complicated in the timing
requirements for the different cam positions and whether the plates where
opened or closed. Of course, many modified Three-Valves will delete both
of these items (VCT and the plates) so at that point you have to address
the timing tables. Not only do most people delete them, but I personally
recommend it on the 3v, as I don’t feel the VCT system is robust enough.
The problem is, many people put lockouts in, and in stock form oftentimes
the lockouts put the cams in a less than desirable position, but it’s a
compromise due to the cost of the lockouts versus adjustable cam gears,”
said Bjonnes. Dez Racing’s Mike Dezotell also weighed in by explaining,
“Tuning on these is actually not all that much different from tuning on a
pushrod, but the Modular powerplants do require different timing curves,
with the Four-Valve accepting more timing due to its open chamber and
better spark plug location.” Dezotell’s years of tuning experience has
taught him to recommend removing the Three-Valve phasers if you plan
on spinning past 7000RPM, and he also recommends using a chassis dyno
and knowledgeable tuning specialist to help unlock your car’s
performance.

The Three-Valve cam phasers allow up to a 60- degree swing in timing
during part-throttle operation, which is great for emissions. Locking the
phaser during operation allows performance modifications to be made
without the fear of engine damage.

We also cornered Phil Elliott from T&D Machine Products, who explained
how his company got involved in the Modular market after years of making
shaft rocker systems for pushrod engines. “Kyle Carrothers from Roush
Performance approached us about making these for a Super Stock
program he’s part of, when they couldn’t keep the OEM followers alive
under hard use. We were hearing that the stock investment-cast pieces
were just disappearing under hard loads – not cracking, but actually
turning into the powder from which they were derived,” he recalled. After
conversations with some of the top engine builders in the country, the
T&D gang set out to build a product that would last for their customers.
The realization came quickly that there were design limitations; in other
words, there was no way to make a roller follower adjustable due
operating limitations, so they had to focus on longevity and strength, two
features built into all of their other products. “We cut our followers from a
single piece of billet steel, then we heat treat them for more rigidity. They
have tool steel axles, captured needle bearings, a roller tip, are fully
rebuildable, and are available for each of the Modular engine types. With
all of these improvements, there hasn’t been someone to be able to
destroy the parts – it has stayed with all of our various customers that
are pushing them incredibly hard. Our customers have been breaking
records with these followers,” said Elliott.

T&D has worked very closely with Kyle Carrothers of Roush Performance to
develop their Modular follower systems. Available in 4130 chromoly, these
will stand up to just about anything you throw at them.

Whenever you modify an engine to make more power and turn more RPM,
there are also concerns that have to be taken into account in the
interest of longevity, a factor each of the experts we spoke with
reinforced heavily. Do your research, work with your engine builder, and
above all, ask questions. An engine build that’s done correctly the first
time will be far more enjoyable than a build that needs to be re-done a
second or third time due to corner-cutting. Figure out what you can
afford to build (and maintain) and get cracking—your Modular awaits!

Sources:
COMP Cams www.compcams.com
Crower Cams and Equipment Co., Inc. www.crower.com
Dez Racing www.shopdezracing.com
DiabloSport www.diablosport.com
Jesel Valvetrain Innovation www.jesel.com
T&D Machine Products www.tdmach.com

Written By: Jason Reiss

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Just received this Pic. from George as he is doing his thing today.
He is taking the heads off and sending them to the Machine-Shop to have the Ford Racing V-Springs changed to the 26125-24 Comps.

Oh that is his Little Supervisor you see in the picture. :thumb2:
(Yes, he is doing the 2-thumbs-Up)

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
An old article but interesting ...

Some of you guys might find this article interesting below,

Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords