2011 in shop already (rear end)

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I figured I would post this up as a future reference for someone that might have the same problem. I picked the 2011 mustang up on 9/30 after trading in my 2006 gt. The car is a base model gt 6 speed standard with the only options being the 3.73s :beerdrink: As one can imagine, I instantly fell in love with the car and put roughly 750 miles on it by 10/7. I had intended on going to the track 10/10 so wanted to atleast be over 500 miles on the clutch.

The problem started awith a noise from the rear section of the car at speeds of around 70-75 on the freeway in 6th gear. The noise wasn't extremely loud at that time however I did notice it when the radio was off which worried me since I had so few miles and hadn't even abused the car during initial break-in period. The noise sounded similar to a gear whine that one could expect if gears were installed incorrectly, however not at a violent audible rate. The problem then began to be heard at low speeds even on decel if car was in neutral and so on which led to it being brought to the dealer. Of course the dealer isn't able to even see the vehicle until Tuesday so I did get a loaner from the dealer (2010 f150..decent truck) however its still a slap in the face being that the car is brand new.

I have read some other threads on here about some rear end problems however that seems to be mostly "thunking" which isn't my situation. Anyone else heard of any type of whining on these cars yet? It seems to be from the right rear so I hope its something simple like a wheel bearing so im not stuck paying a car note on a car that I don't even have in my possession.

I will update this thread as soon as I hear from the dealer on the actual problem/fix:beerchug2:

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Hey man, same here it started at 65-70 mph whine noise and the other day i hear a poop and then clunking noise. The clunking noise is gone but the whine is super hard. I am deploying soon so i dont have time to fix it yet.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Yeah I have been following your thread closely. I am just hoping I caught it soon enough before any real damage was done. I won't find out until Tuesday and then have to wait until its repaired. Frustrating to say the least

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I have been following your thread closely. I am just hoping I caught it soon enough before any real damage was done. I won't find out until Tuesday and then have to wait until its repaired. Frustrating to say the least

me too, let us know what they find.

dragpac

forum member
Reaction score
change your fluid in the rear and it should be fine.been there -done that

yasuro

Reaction score
i had almost the exact same symptoms with my 3.73 rear end. then last monday it let go. dealer said the gears were incorrectly manufactured and/or assembled. ford is sending out a whole new rear axle and i hope to get my car back by tomorrow.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Hey man, same here it started at 65-70 mph whine noise and the other day i hear a poop and then clunking noise. The clunking noise is gone but the whine is super hard. I am deploying soon so i dont have time to fix it yet.

thats just the turds hitting the water...:LMAO:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Lotta rearend problems w/ these cars

No more so than previous generation S197 and older platforms.

90% of the issues are because owners are not beefing up the rear before running at the track with stickies.

8.8 is a tried and true rear that is stout and works extremely well.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
i had almost the exact same symptoms with my 3.73 rear end. then last monday it let go. dealer said the gears were incorrectly manufactured and/or assembled. ford is sending out a whole new rear axle and i hope to get my car back by tomorrow.
How long did it take them to diagnose problem and how long have they had the car? That worries me

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Alright I received a call from the dealer around 2:45 and they advised its a problem with the bearing. Advised the car goes on the lift today and I will possibly have it in my possession tomorrow but could take until thurs or friday.

I am hoping I got lucky in bringing it right when the noise developed, as I would hate to have more probems due to it.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
So its not as simple as they initially had thought. Car won't be back in my hands for a while as they have determined that its in the differential and are currently removing the entire assembly. I see where another member just had the same thing happen, so more than likely I will be getting a new assembly. Less than 1000 miles and already having major work :(

They still claim bearing issue but won't know until its all tore down.

yasuro

Reaction score
So its not as simple as they initially had thought. Car won't be back in my hands for a while as they have determined that its in the differential and are currently removing the entire assembly. I see where another member just had the same thing happen, so more than likely I will be getting a new assembly. Less than 1000 miles and already having major work :(

They still claim bearing issue but won't know until its all tore down.

when my car had that problem, the dealer ordered new ring and pinion, but ford told them that they would be sending the dealer a whole new axle. i found that to be interesting.

does this mean there are a batch of rear ends that are known to be "bad"? who supplied the rear ends for the 2011 GT?

Xorak

forum member
Reaction score
it's normal for them to replace the whole assembly instead of just replacing the gear set.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Of course the dealer isn't able to even see the vehicle until Tuesday so I did get a loaner from the dealer (2010 f150..decent truck) however its still a slap in the face being that the car is brand new.

The dealer doesn't have to give you ANYTHING to drive. Not sure how it's a "slap in the face" that they gave you a free ride...?

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score
whats a slap in the face they gave you a fucking brand new truck to drive!! you realize that is a courtesy??

argetni

forum member
Reaction score
What he is saying is a brand new car being in the shop for several days is a slap in the face.

The 2011 GT is only my 3rd American car out of 18 cars in the last 16 years. With my 2002 Corvette z06 bought new I had to take it back the first day and with this 2011 Mustang the same crap has started.

Edit- Also my 2007 Jeep Commander bought brand new had a water leak the first week I got it and spent 15 days in the shop while I drove a loaner PT Crusier and was paying $570 a month for the Jeep, talk about a slap in the face.

So basically I have been screwed by EVERY American car maker. Never had an issue with my imports in the first YEAR of ownership.

Last edited:

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score
What he is saying is a brand new car being in the shop for several days is a slap in the face.

The 2011 GT is only my 3rd American car out of 18 cars in the last 16 years. With my 2002 Corvette z06 bought new I had to take it back the first day and with this 2011 Mustang the same crap has started.

Edit- Also my 2007 Jeep Commander bought brand new had a water leak the first week I got it and spent 15 days in the shop while I drove a loaner PT Crusier and was paying $570 a month for the Jeep, talk about a slap in the face.

So basically I have been screwed by EVERY American car maker. Never had an issue with my imports in the first YEAR of ownership.

Then go buy a FUCKING honda then.. You realize that cars break and thats why they give you warranty for that reason!!! who the fuck cares how much you payed and what your monthley payments are you think your the only one in the world that bought a new vehicle and something went wrong with it??? Stop crying!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back