2011 piston failure diagnosis discussion w/pics

SS KILLR

Killer of the SS
Reaction score
to me I wouldn't go and say oh #8 #8 #8... it looks like a lean condition and just plain ol detonation, If you were logging than your answers are there as to why it blew.. Was there alot of knock,was the timing high, what was your afr, how about the fuel was there enough,there is alot that could and obviously did go wrong for you to have lost half the pistons in a motor.. So please don't be the guy spreading the number 8 frenzy again... in conclusion you took a gamble with supercharging your car and lost the gamble by than throwing more boost and not taking it to a shop to have a proper dyno tune done instead of canned tunes from a certain shop..

I didn't get that from the OP at all

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
not to mention i think a 3 inch pulley is more like 12lbs than 10lbs...i could be wrong but i have a 3.25 and i think thats 10lb and i really only see 9lbs cause of the long tubes. those pics are fucked up though, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
not to mention i think a 3 inch pulley is more than 10lbs...i could be wrong but i have a 3.25 and i think thats 10lb and i really only see 9lbs cause of the long tubes. those pics are fucked up though, thanks for sharing.

It could be I think I was told 10-12 psi. I haven't got my boost gauge reading correctly and never got a chance to find out what it's really doing. I thought I'd share to help determine the issue and add to the information out there on these type of failures. #8 was worse, but not the only piston that failed.

Remote dyno tuning session coming up soon on the new motor so I can safely get some HP out of it. Wish there was a good tuner in the Kansas City area familiar with these motors. A few have said they could tune it, but have done 1 supercharged Coyote. I really want someone who knows these cars better to handle it. I think I've found that crew.:thumb2:

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
damn.. sorry to hear/see.. this is the reason I dont trust e-mail tuning unless you can datalog on the spot and see everything... including boost

I've had issues even being at the dyno, but this just adds another factor into the mix.

wproctor411

forum member
Reaction score
any pics of the top of the pistons? #8 most importantly.

Yes - really need to see top of piston.

so what did the logs show?

the tops should show some signs of detonation based on those pistons. how about the plugs - any pics?

Almost always. No damage to tops then maybe out of balance or too weak to handle 11:1 with 10psi.

Last edited by a moderator:

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
Just to clear I wasn't said that remote tuning can't be done correctly but the info needs to be sent over quickly and the changes need to be made relatively quickly... otherwise look what can and will happen. OP i am sorry for your motor loss, but the only thing I was stating is you can't gamble with an off the shelf tune regardless. The datalogs need to be all done the same day so the tuner can properly tune the car..

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
I'll get pics of the top of the bad pistons tonight and add them here. I'd like this to continue to be a positive post other may learn from and save them some money.

In a perfect world you would have the best tuner in the world with your particular motor and setup dial it in on a dyno. I think that is pretty obvious. I don't have that luxury where I'm located and can't swing a 15-20 hr drive to make it happen. I didn't have an off the shelf tune. It was custom to my setup or I'm sure it would've got nuked right away. I was datalogging and receiving new tunes to make adjustments. When the motor went it was on the 4th tune and I was datalogging working on a shifting issue. It could've been many things that caused it, but that's what I'm looking to find is a solid explanation. If anyone would like to see the datalogs that I was able to collect I have no problem sharing them. I have better logging from the previous tune right before it went south. At least they contain more data.

Yes I did gamble a little bit with even putting a blower on the car and then turning it up even more. But I'm not mad about it and shit happens. You learn, build it better, tune it better, and move on. Just like anything you run the crap out of and add power there's no guarantee it's just going to haul ass and never break. Throwing your 2 cents in with obvious crap doesn't help anyone here. Just proves you to be Captain Hindsight!

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Vet, so far I commend you with this loss regardless of what happen or who is at fault. The pics are very insightful and I give u credit for turning it into a learning thread. I'm in for more pics. This sucks for u, but now u can throw moooar boost at it and be safe.........with the right tune....lol. Good luck man.

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
All I was saying is don't be the asshole who starts this whole #8 crap all over again. Your car blew up cause it was supercharged and detonated that's it.. Glad your in higher spirits than most, so build it better, that's all you can do..so good luck in the future.

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
I'm saying don't be the asshole that post just to let everyone know you know the obvious. Since when was this ever a #8 post?

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
All I was saying is don't be the asshole who starts this whole #8 crap all over again. Your car blew up cause it was supercharged and detonated that's it.. Glad your in higher spirits than most, so build it better, that's all you can do..so good luck in the future.
It appears to me his intention wasn't to start up the whole #8 crap but just relaying his experience to everyone. It also appears to me you're the one that's out of line here.

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
It appears to me his intention wasn't to start up the whole #8 crap but just relaying his experience to everyone. It also appears to me you're the one that's out of line here.
im good friends with vet-klr.... not once did he ever say to me this was a #8 issue. He stated that it started smoking and did a compression test and showed 3 cylinders out of spec.I cant wait to see what this beast does now with the boss shortblock.

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
Top of piston pics as requested.
top3.jpg

top5.jpg

top7.jpg

top8.jpg

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
Must be kansas city luck.....the coyote in my 2011 f150 just blew....bone stock......4400 miles. I personally dont thinks these motors are all that great in my opinion. My 2012 gt was ok......sold it to buy a tow vehicle for the new race car. What a nightmare this turned out to be lol. Good luck on the rebuild.

Ricky

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from those pics of the pistons, not sure if it's my display or the photos, I can't tell if there is any speckling

Last edited:

VET-KLR

forum member
Reaction score
They look normal to me. If I cleaned them with some brake cleaner I bet they would look new. I cleaned up the plugs and reused them. LOL

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back