2013 gt500 6 piston brembos

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Are you still running these on your car? I haven't seen them in any pics

I never ran them. I bolted one side on so I could trial fit about 8 different wheels to see what sort of clearance they had. The calipers are massive and would look amazing in red.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Could you list the rims and spec of the rims you tried out?

It's pretty simple, any and all 19's or 20's that fit a Brembo GT or GT500 will fit over the '13 Brembos. Aside from the single 18" I mentioned, no other 18's are known to fit.

claudermilk

Reaction score
What about the two Vorshalg sells? I've also read Enkei PF-01's fit? I'm sure there's others. Ask Terry Fair what he found that fits--from his threads it sounds like he tried a number of wheels.

07s281sc

Reaction score
Are you replacing stock GT brakes or 4 piston Brembos with these? Could you get a before and after pic either way so we could all get a good feel for the size?

Also ... if you're replacing 4 piston Brembos, shoot me a PM if you want to sell them.

Pics before and after of caliper vs. stock 4 piston Stoptechs. Rotors are 14" Stoptechs. Going to hold on to the stock brakes for now.

IMAG0351.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

Last edited:

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
So are these worth it for an American Iron car? If you use 2 piece rotors you get some weight savings. While having more area and metal(caliper, pistons and rotors) to dissipate heat. At that price, is it worth it to try in a race application or will it just be significantly inferior to AP, StopTech, Willwood, Brembo Racing, Baer......? Are we talking degrees or orders of magnitude in stopping distance, fading, durability?

Thnx

Bill

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
So are these worth it for an American Iron car? If you use 2 piece rotors you get some weight savings. While having more area and metal(caliper, pistons and rotors) to dissipate heat. At that price, is it worth it to try in a race application or will it just be significantly inferior to AP, StopTech, Willwood, Brembo Racing, Baer......? Are we talking degrees or orders of magnitude in stopping distance, fading, durability?

Thnx

Bill

this is explains it

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
MackDaddy, Thnx for the info. I have the 6S's on my SuperSnake. It's putting down 700.4 rwhp and with me in it weighs about 4200 lbs. I track it frequently and am happy with the setup. For the record, those slotted and drilled rotors are crap and lasted me 1 day at the track before cracking serverely. Their slotted only rotors last me 6-8 track days making rotors and pads my biggest tracking exspense($1700 every 6-8 track days).

I never ran my car before it got converted to a SS. So I never experienced the 4 piston Brembos on the track. My AI car should be a 1000 lbs. lighter and have about 300-350 less horsepower. I have the 4 piston Baers as takeoffs from my SS build. Do I use them or is it worth it to get the 6 Piston Brembos from the 2013 GT-500.

The Brembo setup from Ford is $1250, the Baer setup is $3400. Both 6 piston mono-block design. In the Baer or any other system worth an extra 2 grand???

Thnx

Bill

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
I have no track experience at this time to rely on

But from what the Op is saying here the Baer is not worth the extra coin

I think the initial investment of $1200 to $1500 for the six piston setup is a good deal.

Will they outperform the 4 piston brembo,s I cant speak to that.
But it seems to make sense that they would.

And Jim
If you run the Ford 6 piston versus the 4 piston Baer at the track, let us know how they perform please.

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Run the 4-pots, and if you have brake durability issues in a 40 minute sprint race, THEN make a move... FWIW, I would bet that the brakes won't be the weak link...

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
I just checked out the spec's of the 2013 Boss 302S and Ford Racing is still using the 4 piston Brembo's. They are the race version, but they are the 4 pots, not the 6's. Based on that, I think the 6 pots may be more for show than for go. They look awesome on my Super Snake, but they weigh a TON. so for a racing application, the weight savings of the 4 P's are the way to go.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Bill

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
I just checked out the spec's of the 2013 Boss 302S and Ford Racing is still using the 4 piston Brembo's. They are the race version, but they are the 4 pots, not the 6's. Based on that, I think the 6 pots may be more for show than for go. They look awesome on my Super Snake, but they weigh a TON. so for a racing application, the weight savings of the 4 P's are the way to go.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Bill

Probably to the point of diminishing returns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
Agree with Dave... Run the 4 piston setup. Rotor/Pad selection, tires, controlling brake temps (ducts +/- blowers), and braking technique are what's important in consistent braking on track.
Bill, hows the AI car coming along??

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
Just getting started. I have a 2012 BIW, a slightly used 5.0 and a buddies GT-500 with a full GRIGGS system that he totaled at Summit Point. All the suspension is good except the right front pieces.

Gonna do like you and go Frankenstien. Based on cash flow it will be April or May before it is done. Hope to be ready for comp license in July.

I will probably be calling you along the way for advice.

Bill

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
Just ordered mine from Tousley, Got the pads and hoses but probably won't use either if I can get the pad shape code from Hawk, Carbotech or Pagid. It must exist. It is also my unsderstanding that Grand Am Continental Challenge GS Mustang Boss 302R cars are using this set up under 2013 rules.
Tells me a couple things; they will make a difference on track and the calipers are not just bling. I plan on emailing Roush, and Rehagen to see what they are running for pads.

07s281sc; Do the stock hoses match up to the new caliper without stretching? I also assume the 14" rotors end up using a 1/2" less of the pad then the 15" rotor will on the outside?

Plan on swapping brakes for different track configurations depending on brake usage, also will do some comparative testing using my Traqmate data logging. Bought a stock of 19" Ferrari Challenge Pirelli DH slicks in case I can't find 18" wheels that fit and are less than $550 each:yuck:
Steve

GT_350

Reaction score
Just ordered mine from Tousley, Got the pads and hoses but probably won't use either if I can get the pad shape code from Hawk, Carbotech or Pagid. It must exist. It is also my unsderstanding that Grand Am Continental Challenge GS Mustang Boss 302R cars are using this set up under 2013 rules.
Tells me a couple things; they will make a difference on track and the calipers are not just bling. I plan on emailing Roush, and Rehagen to see what they are running for pads.

07s281sc; Do the stock hoses match up to the new caliper without stretching? I also assume the 14" rotors end up using a 1/2" less of the pad then the 15" rotor will on the outside?

Plan on swapping brakes for different track configurations depending on brake usage, also will do some comparative testing using my Traqmate data logging. Bought a stock of 19" Ferrari Challenge Pirelli DH slicks in case I can't find 18" wheels that fit and are less than $550 each:yuck:
Steve

It's not just the calipers and rotors......They also have a different Booster, Master Cylinder and use a Bosch ABS System.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back