2018 Performance Pack 2

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Lets talk about the Performance Pack 2 S550, do you like it you views or thoughts? Those wheels though are beautiful! I absolutely love my 3V but I would definitely get a PP2. Royal crimson or Kona Blue. My wife wants one lol. But just not the right time.

It's a car I'd trade or sell the 3V for but also I never want to say bye to it. That's the cammed and blown head turner lol. Just something about it. The PP2 I wouldn't touch it at all except Corsa mufflers and a tune.

I think its an amazing idea from ford to bring this out and an incredible car.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Did you drive it? I find the S550's kind of boring with 420 hp - lots of refinement. They do need a bunch of work to get that sharp edge back. I bet the magneride helps.

I am holding out to see how batshit the GT500 will be. Also how expensive.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Did you drive it? I find the S550's kind of boring with 420 hp - lots of refinement. They do need a bunch of work to get that sharp edge back. I bet the magneride helps.

I am holding out to see how batshit the GT500 will be. Also how expensive.
The PP2 i couldn't due to the only one between 4 ford dealers around me was an ordered one in Crimson Red which was beautiful! I did how ever drive the magnaride PP1. Really only difference was the wheel and tires, splitters, and the spoiler if I recall. Other than that was pretty much the same car. Was lots of fun actually. The ride was superb and man she rips! I need boost in my 3V to definitely keep up. My 3V is quick but not that quick. It does feel much better and more refined than the prior S550.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
The performance pack 2 comes with michelin pilot cups. Fantastic track tire, good dry hot day summer tire. Not a good cool day tire and terrible tire in the wet from I understand. There basically DOT racing slicks. I would test drive one and might need a 2nd set of tires and wheels or change tires to somerthing else when they wear.

That's my only complaint about the performance pack 2. But they may have the nicest wheels that ever came on the mustang before.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
The performance pack 2 comes with michelin pilot cups. Fantastic track tire, good dry hot day summer tire. Not a good cool day tire and terrible tire in the wet from I understand. There basically DOT racing slicks. I would test drive one and might need a 2nd set of tires and wheels or change tires to somerthing else when they wear.

That's my only complaint about the performance pack 2. But they may have the nicest wheels that ever came on the mustang before.
Yeah and those tires are stupid pricey lol. I would probably switch to a Nitto once thewy wear out.

I cannot agree more with the look of the wheels though!

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score
2018%20gt%20TP2_zpsucdtp2q1.jpg

Got one in Kona Blue. Sold my 2012 SC GT thinking I was going to be bored with the new car around power, And I was wrong love this car can't wait to get it up to VIR and tear it up.

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score
The PP2 i couldn't due to the only one between 4 ford dealers around me was an ordered one in Crimson Red which was beautiful! I did how ever drive the magnaride PP1. Really only difference was the wheel and tires, splitters, and the spoiler if I recall. Other than that was pretty much the same car. Was lots of fun actually. The ride was superb and man she rips! I need boost in my 3V to definitely keep up. My 3V is quick but not that quick. It does feel much better and more refined than the prior S550.

Also it has much stiffer sway bars front and back stiffer and lower spring rate. and the Magnaride has a specific race track tuning. I've raced SCCA events for several years now and this car handles better than some of my purpose built track cars. Shit I just pulled a 1.02G on asphalt street with no over / under steer in sport mode with the wife screaming at me in the car.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
2018%20gt%20TP2_zpsucdtp2q1.jpg

Got one in Kona Blue. Sold my 2012 SC GT thinking I was going to be bored with the new car around power, And I was wrong love this car can't wait to get it up to VIR and tear it up.
Larry03gt please post more pics of this! Thats the exact color I have been looking at for a PP2. Beautiful car man I love it. Congrats! Also your impressions on the car in and out.
Also it has much stiffer sway bars front and back stiffer and lower spring rate. and the Magnaride has a specific race track tuning. I've raced SCCA events for several years now and this car handles better than some of my purpose built track cars. Shit I just pulled a 1.02G on asphalt street with no over / under steer in sport mode with the wife screaming at me in the car.
Hahaha that's awesome! The performance pack 1 with magnaride felt damn good but I dont think it could do that. Plus your car has tires way beyond the PP1. That's just so pretty!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like the wheels. About all I have to offer.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Love the wheels but the front offset seems way wrong.
Not sure why Ford saw the need for the front wheels/tires to be sticking out beyond the fender.
These cars are getting pelted with the rocks/stones picked up by those sticky tires, thrown all down the sides of the car.

Ford, this is not a great fitment:

2018_PP2_e.jpg

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure why Ford saw the need for the front wheels/tires to be sticking out beyond the fender.
These cars are getting pelted with the rocks/stones picked up by those sticky tires, thrown all down the sides of the car.

View attachment 67671

Just a bit of neg camber would solve that asap. Or does it already have a bunch of camber dialed in ?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seems like dedicated front fenders and lower bumper cover could fix that. Also make it more "exclusive".

But yeah, that is shit fitment IMO. Spend that kind of money then have shit thrown down the side of my car? And then have Ford deny warranty paint claim for a condition they created? Nope.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Just a bit of neg camber would solve that asap. Or does it already have a bunch of camber dialed in ?

Doesn't seem to have much negative camber from the factory. Wheel sits pretty much vertical:

2018_PP2_b.jpg

2018_PP2_d.jpg

But supposedly there's like an inch of clearance on the inside, so why not make the offset so the wheel tucks a bit more?
Normally they have them in too much, now these are out too much. WTF.

larry03gt

forum member
Reaction score
Larry03gt please post more pics of this! Thats the exact color I have been looking at for a PP2. Beautiful car man I love it. Congrats! Also your impressions on the car in and out.

Hahaha that's awesome! The performance pack 1 with magnaride felt damn good but I dont think it could do that. Plus your car has tires way beyond the PP1. That's just so pretty!

This is the only other pic I have right now. I need to go out and get some shots.

2018%20gt%20pp2_zpsdptwsy9k.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
It's mostly a consequence of having 10.5" wide wheels and 305 rubber up front, with however much strut-side clearance Ford's corporate standards might require (I don't know how much clearance the PP2's have here either).

View attachment 67671
The PP2 is a car for the corner-carvers among us, not the drag racers or the Cars&Coffee crowd. When you start getting serious about enjoying roads that don't go straight, that's about when this look starts to look right because it is right for that usage. But it almost seems you actually have to be that serious.

Sneak Preview 800x600 web.jpg

Those are 18 x 11's, actually, and yes they're mostly for the track time the car sees.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The PP2 should have fixed the "bounce" that seems to be common with the S550.

My advice to anybody changing tires - which I wouldn't blame them for doing for street-only use - would be to step back to Michelin's Pilot Sport 4S. There should be fewer sacrifices in grip, handling behavior, and possibly most importantly the breakaway characteristics than with most any other tire.

If I had to shop for a new car for me today, there are only two or at most three cars on a very short list. The GT/PP2 is one of them.

Norm

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
It's mostly a consequence of having 10.5" wide wheels and 305 rubber up front, with however much strut-side clearance Ford's corporate standards might require (I don't know how much clearance the PP2's have here either).

The PP2 is a car for the corner-carvers among us, not the drag racers or the Cars&Coffee crowd. When you start getting serious about enjoying roads that don't go straight, that's about when this look starts to look right because it is right for that usage. But it almost seems you actually have to be that serious.

View attachment 67686

Those are 18 x 11's, actually, and yes they're mostly for the track time the car sees.

Norm

A front 305 really needs to be on a 11.0 " wide rim..and preferably a 11.5" rim.

Norman forgot to mention he is using 285's up front... on 11" wide rims..so they are stretched pretty good.

Ford should have anticipated all of this, and simply made the front wheel flares slightly wider....problem solved. Even just 1/2" more..then dialed in some neg camber. As is, it appears from the pix, there is no neg camber. Too bad, they could solved both issues..in one shot.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Norman forgot to mention he is using 285's up front... on 11" wide rims..so they are stretched pretty good.
Actual section width of a 285/35 MPSS is very close to 300 mm. Not all that much narrower than a 305 on its measuring width rim (which just happens to be 11").

Ford should have anticipated all of this, and simply made the front wheel flares slightly wider....problem solved.
I suppose they could have done the same thing that Chevy did with their 5th gen Z/28 and tightened the visual tire to fender gap a bit as a side benefit (for those who care about such things).

Norm

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back