4.0L Auto To 4.6L Manual Electrical Question?

Wolf Mxbee

Reaction score
So I completely finished putting my freshly built 4.6L into the car and rewired the harness and tried to go and start it, I hear everything ready to crank except.. the starter luckily I’m good with diagrams so I traced it down to the auto shifter position switch which I suppose I can refer it to the safety neutral switch..? The car doesn’t want to crank because the starter circuit is not being complete.. any ideas?

3E5BB0D2-D722-4F64-A9D6-4D20CB33B0B7.png

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
It looks like you could jumper the RD/LB wire at connector C167 to the WH/PK wire to at least check to see if that's where your starting problem lies. Just make sure you've got the transmission in neutral.

Norm

Wolf Mxbee

Reaction score
Thank you I seen on another forum reading up to this, and will try it, thanks for the help!!

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I believe Norm nailed it, short out that auto tranny neutral switch, but a future move would be to wire that to the clutch safety switch...

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Are making it an automatic, converting to manual, or what?
If it was an automatic and you're keeping it auto, nothing should have changed to keep it from starting. However, as shown in the bottom part of the diagram, the DTR on the V8 transmission, or a wire to it in the V8 harness, might be open when in park or neutral position. It should also start when in neutral, not just park.

Just got to make sure: was PATS properly taken care of with the PCM swap?

Wolf Mxbee

Reaction score
Correct two swaps essentially and yes I made sure pats was disabled on all of my tunes and soon future tunes as well, I have yet to try the wire bypass for the shifter but attempting right now as I type this so will post the results, thanks a bunch guys!!

Wolf Mxbee

Reaction score
Alright so update!! I actually had to reach under the car and go to the auto tranny harness I’m converting to manual. So my mustang is an 05 factory auto V6, I am putting a v8 manual into it but using a auto v8 harness and only using two connectors and rewiring them to the manual trans sensors but the 12 point connector to the auto trans I had to cut the two wires you guys listed above and wire them together, I also found out the ecu had a weak ground so once solved it turned over right away but won’t start but expected

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back