5.4 4V navigator into 2007 mustang gt ECU & harness question

yaqoubalmounes

Reaction score
Hello every one,
I have read few thread about swapping 2001 navigator engine into s197. I have found that they are using GT500 ECU and Harness. What is the reason? Is it just to prevent extend the COP wires and other sensors wires? or it is deeper than that. I have swapped a navigator engine in 1999 mustang gt and I used the gt ecu and harness. So can I use the 2007 mustang gt ECU and Harness.
Thank you in advance

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I don't see why the stock ECU wouldn't run it if you had HP Tuners to control it. Turn off the variable cam timing and change the basic parameter of engine displacement, should be fairly simple to get a start upturn going.

yaqoubalmounes

Reaction score
I don't see why the stock ECU wouldn't run it if you had HP Tuners to control it. Turn off the variable cam timing and change the basic parameter of engine displacement, should be fairly simple to get a start upturn going.
thank you Rocketcarx. thats make sense. But they used the gt500 ecu and harness? is there any advantage of using it?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
My guess is to use the GT500 calibration/tune.
It would be worthless unless you 5.4 has a blower, i mean it would require the same effort in tuning to make it run VS the original ECU.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I did this. Nothing is "worthless." Having actually done it, versus guessing, I guess can explain and point out why you are wrong. First, my car was originally a V6 and I knew I was eventually going to supercharge a 5.4 DOHC or get a GT500 engine, but needed to build the car in stages. I originally built a 12.7-1 compression N/A setup using an Australian Boss lower and a YellaTerra upper. The GT500 harness allows for plug-and play with correct connectors and correct length wiring for COP coils, GT500 fuel injectors, GT500 T-body location connectors/wiring, cam and crank sensor wires were at correct length/location and GT500 EGR valve/wiring worked perfect. I had the 4.6L alternator in the stock top-front-center position (the only alternator that "talks" nice with the s197 chassis/gauge cluster), so I did use the GT charge cable back to the battery instead of the GT500. The GT A/C compressor plugged right in and the starter wiring was perfect length. I had Eric do the tune, which only accounted for a few changes, since I ran EGR and I made a custom H-pipe with BBK high flow cats, idling and any time without boost is basically the same as the GT500. So, no, the tune is NOT the same effort. You could go to the trouble of using the 4.6L GT harness (year-range specific) and cut/splice and extend wires and change out connectors as needed (COP, etc), then go in the tune and shut off all the stuff you don't have and start doing data logs for a base tune for a 5.4L versus a 4.6L. I just did it the easy way. No regrets.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I did this. Nothing is "worthless." Having actually done it, versus guessing, I guess can explain and point out why you are wrong. First, my car was originally a V6 and I knew I was eventually going to supercharge a 5.4 DOHC or get a GT500 engine, but needed to build the car in stages. I originally built a 12.7-1 compression N/A setup using an Australian Boss lower and a YellaTerra upper. The GT500 harness allows for plug-and play with correct connectors and correct length wiring for COP coils, GT500 fuel injectors, GT500 T-body location connectors/wiring, cam and crank sensor wires were at correct length/location and GT500 EGR valve/wiring worked perfect. I had the 4.6L alternator in the stock top-front-center position (the only alternator that "talks" nice with the s197 chassis/gauge cluster), so I did use the GT charge cable back to the battery instead of the GT500. The GT A/C compressor plugged right in and the starter wiring was perfect length. I had Eric do the tune, which only accounted for a few changes, since I ran EGR and I made a custom H-pipe with BBK high flow cats, idling and any time without boost is basically the same as the GT500. So, no, the tune is NOT the same effort. You could go to the trouble of using the 4.6L GT harness (year-range specific) and cut/splice and extend wires and change out connectors as needed (COP, etc), then go in the tune and shut off all the stuff you don't have and start doing data logs for a base tune for a 5.4L versus a 4.6L. I just did it the easy way. No regrets.
Apples to oranges since you swapped a v6 car, if you had a GT it would be less work to covert the factory PCM to run the 4 valve combo. When I say either method requires tuning I mean just that, it is not any easier to tune one than the other, you will be tuning either way. You can't just slap a GT500 ECU on a N/A 4 valve and have it run right without the same effort in tuning.
I'm not sure how you're so certain what the tuning required since you outsourced that part but I can tell you as a tuner myself both methods require datalogging and revisions, how could they not?
I swapped a 4 valve into a 98 Mustang GT 2 valve and I didn't have to change much more than relocating some minor wiring for a sensor here or there, and most of that was just pulling back insulation and rerouting. The 2 valve harness plugged right in.
There is more than one way to skin a cat, as they say. Maybe take a little less offense considering the OP may not be starting with a V6 car and no one was attacking you or being shitty.

Tastytoaster

Reaction score
Apples to oranges since you swapped a v6 car, if you had a GT it would be less work to covert the factory PCM to run the 4 valve combo. When I say either method requires tuning I mean just that, it is not any easier to tune one than the other, you will be tuning either way. You can't just slap a GT500 ECU on a N/A 4 valve and have it run right without the same effort in tuning.
I'm not sure how you're so certain what the tuning required since you outsourced that part but I can tell you as a tuner myself both methods require datalogging and revisions, how could they not?
I swapped a 4 valve into a 98 Mustang GT 2 valve and I didn't have to change much more than relocating some minor wiring for a sensor here or there, and most of that was just pulling back insulation and rerouting. The 2 valve harness plugged right in.
There is more than one way to skin a cat, as they say. Maybe take a little less offense considering the OP may not be starting with a V6 car and no one was attacking you or being shitty.

So with that being said, an 07 GT harness will work just fine on a 5.4L 4v?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It can be modified to work is what they are saying. All the inputs required for the various sensors and controls will be there but may require a different routing or extending the harness in places, or some may require swapping a connector.
The inputs required to run a DOHC 5.4 are actually less sophisticated since the 4v does not have VCT.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back