Airbag Issue

Texaspoontappa

Reaction score
I recently purchased this Mustang and it came with a steady airbag light. The light flashes "23" when started. There was an airbag recall that needed completed on this Mustang, so it was assumed that this was the issue. I got the airbag recall done (passenger side front airbag was replaced; see attached). He ran the codes, but I don't believe he added the specific codes to the sheet. He said the airbag may or may not deploy in a crash. Either way, the drivers seat belt light does not come on, and "23" is the only code flashing. There are no engine codes on. These are factory seats, and to my knowledge, are original to the car. I checked the wiring underneath the seat, and all appears intact. I disconnected the yellow two pin connector (I'm under the impression based on internet queries that it may have caused it), but had no results, good or bad.

2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS
159,333 miles
4.6L, 5 speed manual

I'm trying to fix this myself, and can't find any good info online. Dealer wants one hour of pay to diagnose it, and I'm not willing to pay it. I am comfortable working on 12v wiring and have a good multimeter, but I have never worked on an airbag system so I'm out of my league, as of now. Screenshot_20200223-135324_Drive.jpg 20200223_134257.jpg

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
It is dangerous to work on these systems, be extreemly cautious. Do NOT check for resistance/continuity!!!

You need to read fault codes from the airbag module to find out why the light is on. Research that code flashing. And go from there.

Texaspoontappa

Reaction score
It is dangerous to work on these systems, be extreemly cautious. Do NOT check for resistance/continuity!!!

You need to read fault codes from the airbag module to find out why the light is on. Research that code flashing. And go from there.

Do you know where I could get the codes read, by chance (for free)? Dealership says that is the diagnosis, so $80 or so. My OBII scanner doesn't read it, not sure if a more expensive scan tool would do it.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
You do need a more capable scanner, the SnapOn scanner can read SRS modules I believe. IN that last photo you posted it looks like on of your airbag spots is being spoofed by a dummy resistor, that looks like a plug. Could be the wrong resistance.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Forscan with elm327 adapter. I prefer the usb elm adapter over wifi/bluetooth ones. You need an adapter WITH hs/ms can switch.

Last edited:

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
A few places to start:

1) Google search FORD MUSTANG AIRBAD CODE 23. There are some good places to start.

2) Does the seatbelt latch work? You mentioned that the seatbelt light does not light up. I know firsthand that, if the electrical connector on the latch is not plugged in and functioning, it will give you an airbag light. I just don't know exactly which airbag code it triggers, so that may or may not be the reason for Code 23.

3) Also, referenced above, that yellow end is to make the computer think you have functioning seat side bolster airbags. Ford used it for non-side airbag equipped Mustangs 05-07, as that's cheaper and easier than having a completely different airbag SRS program (apparently). The seat airbags became standard in 2008.

You could buy those yellow ends, which provided a specific resistance between the two wires, to fool the computer yourself if installing aftermarket seats. But, the problem is, the resistance needed to fool the computer changed several times throughout the life of the S197 - and those plugs only worked for the first couple years. Right off hand, I don't know if it was different for 2007 than for 05-06. As mentioned above, it is possible that someone used the plug to install different seats, but the plug wouldn't work for 07. If that's the case, you would just need to experiment with different resistor values to see what kills the airbag light. That's what I did to get the light off in my 08 when I installed aftermarket seats.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
You stated you recently purchased the vehicle. Did you check Car Fax to see if this car has ever had an Air Bag deployed?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back