Airbag recall

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I scheduled mine for next Monday. They can do the driver's side but he said he doesn't know when the passenger side will be available (soon, he thinks).

They want the car the whole day too, I'm going to drop it off but come back in the afternoon. We have the day off and will be running some errands so hopefully it doesn't end up being the thing I have to wait on all day.

If you drop it off, it will be.
The driver's side is so stupid easy to do, it takes a tech really only about 5-10 minutes once he has the part.
I waited for mine and for my wife's, her driver side took a little longer to do since on the '08 they replace the inflator on the back of the airbag, on the '13 they replace the whole airbag so it's even easier/quicker.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hm. I had originally wanted to just wait on it but I don't want to be sitting there for an hour or two waiting on it, and we have to go pick up our dog from the kennel (we're out of town over the weekend). Ah I guess I'll see what they say.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Hm. I had originally wanted to just wait on it but I don't want to be sitting there for an hour or two waiting on it, and we have to go pick up our dog from the kennel (we're out of town over the weekend). Ah I guess I'll see what they say.

A lot of the techs will do the driver-side airbag without even pulling the car into their bay.
When you check in with the Service Advisor, nicely ask only for the recall, no Multi-Point Inspection or any other "complimentary service" they might offer, which is nothing but a way to try to sell you stuff.

travelers

Reaction score
That's what the Tech did with mine, the car never moved. I knew the Parts Manager so I went to parts and BS with him.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
And apparently Recall 18S01 is also out, adding more vehicles to this clusterfuck:

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2013 Ford Mustang vehicles sold, or ever registered in the states of Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), and the U.S. Virgin Islands or “Zone A.”

Additionally, Ford is recalling certain 2010 Ford Edge, Fusion, Mustang and Ranger, Lincoln MKX and Zephyr/MKZ, and Mercury Milan vehicles ever registered in the states of Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia or “Zone B.”

Ford is also recalling certain 2009 Ford Edge, Fusion, Mustang and Ranger, Lincoln MKX and Zephyr/MKZ, and Mercury Milan vehicles ever registered in the states of Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming or “Zone C.”

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has asked this, but is re-flashing back to stock recommended before having the replacement parts installed for the passenger side airbag? I'm not sure as to whether or not Ford will be required to update the stock/original ECM programming with a revised version as a requirement for the airbag replacement parts, if so, should I re-flash back to original factory stock first, then have Ford upload the updated/revised files before re-loading my current Brenspeed tunes :shrug:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has asked this, but is re-flashing back to stock recommended before having the replacement parts installed for the passenger side airbag? I'm not sure as to whether or not Ford will be required to update the stock/original ECM programming with a revised version as a requirement for the airbag replacement parts, if so, should I re-flash back to original factory stock first, then have Ford upload the updated/revised files before re-loading my current Brenspeed tunes :shrug:

No, this is only a part-replacing procedure.
No flashing of any module is included.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ever since Saleen re-flashed my ECM over 12 years ago, I'm not able to return back to original OEM stock, so I just wanted to make certain before heading up to the dealership for the airbag replacement install. In the meantime, thanks for bringing me up to speed Gabe :waytogo:

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score

There is no tuning involved. It is simply remove the old part and install a new one.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
There is no tuning involved. It is simply remove the old part and install a new one.
Yes, I understand it has nothing to do with tuning files. My main concern was module related, being as the airbags are controlled by a module. Therefore I assumed there may have been a re-flash required for the airbag modules. In addition, Ford also has PCM re-flash updates available in which dealerships don't always notify the customer before installing them. At any rate, just wanted to make certain before having the airbag replacement parts installed :shrug:

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Got the wife's Shelby scheduled for Monday morning with the dealership she bought it from.
Dealt directly with the service manager, who's a very good friend of a friend of mine.
Part is held with my wife's name on it, they know we're gonna wait, and it's supposed to be a beautiful sunny day with temps in the 60's, an hour drive each way should be nice too :)

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That's also what I'm waiting for as well Gabe, as I don't take my car out unless it's 60 degrees and above with dry conditions. My dealership also takes nearly an hour to drive, not so much distance-wise, but unfortunately here in Pittsburgh, rush hour traffic is very unpredictable and can begin anywhere between 1 PM- 4 PM on any given weekday in the afternoon. During the morning hours are far much worse and won't even consider taking my car out then only to end up getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic lol.

I'm also very pleased that your parts finally came in and will be getting them installed on Monday. And yes, it most definitely helps when knowing that your dealership's service manager is also a very good friend that will have your back for sure
thumb.gif

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Ever since Saleen re-flashed my ECM over 12 years ago, I'm not able to return back to original OEM stock, so I just wanted to make certain before heading up to the dealership for the airbag replacement install. In the meantime, thanks for bringing me up to speed Gabe :waytogo:
That is very odd. No matter who tunes it or what tune, it can always be tuned back to stock at a dealer.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That is very odd. No matter who tunes it or what tune, it can always be tuned back to stock at a dealer.
Perhaps if you had taken the time to read post # 66, 68, and 70 you would've noticed this was brought up and addressed. At any rate, I stated the reasons as to why my car cannot be re-flashed back to stock by the dealer. First off, Saleen requires the customer to ship their PCM to their facilities to be flashed with their "OEM" calibration, once this takes places, the original Ford factory calibration is gone permanently. And second, my car would be undrivable running the factory OEM calibration with the Saleen VI blower in place. Therefore my car cannot be tuned back to stock either by myself or at a dealer for those reasons!

travelers

Reaction score
Just tell the dealer not to update or flash your car. Thats all I do and have no problem. I also had a cover for the OBDII port. I have a whipple so it can't be flashed either.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I always do tell them just for that reason. My original concern was that a re-flash may have been required for the airbag module along with the replacement parts. However, it was already brought to my attention that no re-flash is required for the airbag replacement parts, nor airbag modules. So now that's at least one less thing to be concerned about lol.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Here in Vegas, parts are still not available to do both sides on our 08 and 11 (not sure which, but only one side is available for each car). Dealership also wants the cars dropped off for a full day to do the work? Why do they need the car for the whole day, if the job takes less than an hour?

I took my car in to Ford Country in Henderson (literally right down the road from my house) to run some diagnostics on my vct because I can't data log right now and I'm having issues. Anyways I asked them when I dropped it off if they could do the airbag recalls while it was in. I was told no problem. That was two weeks ago. Call out to Ford in the auto mall and talk to Austin. He was really cool, young kid but I liked him. Tell him Ed with the silver whippled mustang referred you. He will treat you right.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Got the recall done on the passenger side airbag on the wife's Shelby today.
In and out in about 90 minutes.
And I think it only took that long cuz it took about 45 minutes for it to get dispatched.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Got the recall done on the passenger side airbag on the wife's Shelby today.
In and out in about 90 minutes.
And I think it only took that long cuz it took about 45 minutes for it to get dispatched.

This is a very hard part of the dealership world. Appointments are scheduled but due to the large amount of work at the dealers, there will always be a time delay. We have a Full Qualified Staff. Even with an appointment at times, we are upwards of 24 hours before a vehicle gets looked at.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
This is a very hard part of the dealership world. Appointments are scheduled but due to the large amount of work at the dealers, there will always be a time delay. We have a Full Qualified Staff. Even with an appointment at times, we are upwards of 24 hours before a vehicle gets looked at.

Yeah I only mentioned it because some guys are saying they're in and out in less than an hour.
1-1.5 hours is a more realistic time frame for a half-hour service to be performed at your typical dealership.
Between time for a tech to become available, time to dispatch it, time to get the work done and time for the writer to do the paperwork, it all adds up.
Very rarely do all the stars line up so perfectly that you drive in and the dispatcher just happens to have a tech available as your ticket gets to him/her.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back