Airbag recall

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got my driver's side done yesterday. They didn't set me a specific appointment time so I dropped it off at 10 AM, they called me at 3:30 PM and said it was done. He said they checked on the passenger side but didn't have parts on hand to do it.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
I got the recall done on the driver's side my 2011 Mustang done last week. The appointment was made in January. A 3 month wait.

The service dept. guy said they replaced the airbag actuator, not the bag itself.

I dunno...I'll take his word for it.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
A lot of the techs will do the driver-side airbag without even pulling the car into their bay.
When you check in with the Service Advisor, nicely ask only for the recall, no Multi-Point Inspection or any other "complimentary service" they might offer, which is nothing but a way to try to sell you stuff.

When I took mine in I inquired about getting a second key made because my car was bought with only one key. The service mgr. didn't even have to try and upsale me...I did it to myself. LOL

Ouch....198 bucks
But, I needed the 2nd key so I can program 2 more

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I got the recall done on the driver's side my 2011 Mustang done last week. The appointment was made in January. A 3 month wait.

The service dept. guy said they replaced the airbag actuator, not the bag itself.

I dunno...I'll take his word for it.

Yeah only the '13-'14 cars get a complete new airbag assembly on the driver's side.
The other year cars get a new inflator which is on the back of the airbag.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
When I took mine in I inquired about getting a second key made because my car was bought with only one key. The service mgr. didn't even have to try and upsale me...I did it to myself. LOL

Ouch....198 bucks

Yeah now that you have 2 working/programmed keys you can program more yourself, the car will support up to 8.
You can buy blanks on eBay cheap and just have a local place trace-cut them.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
Owie...my car only came with one key when I bought it and I contemplated getting another but never actually inquired about price. That hurts.

135 for the key ( which you can buy on the net for 25)

50 for the programming. The other 13 was taxes.

I always have a feeling of disgust giving money to a dealership for services rendered, but there was no way around this.
So I just add the 200 bucks onto the purchase price of 6,600 for the car so now I have a 6,800 dollar car....lol

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Well, we were mailed the receipt for the recall done on the wife's '08 GT500 a few days ago, and sure enough it's the 5R3Z-63044A74-B part number.

26887029087_321ff0242d_o.jpg

travelers

Reaction score
Do they pull the center console or just the glove box to gain access? I have the Raxiom Nav system in the console and had to move a few things around to get it all in.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Do they pull the center console or just the glove box to gain access? I have the Raxiom Nav system in the console and had to move a few things around to get it all in.

This thing gets removed, airbag is on the back of it, inflator is on the back of the airbag:

airbag_cover2.jpg

Phil1098

Reaction score
When I had my drivers side done the tech did it in the parking lot. I shot the shit with him while he did it. Then they forgot to record the serial number of the new one and called me to ask if I could bring the car back. I said "no, I'm not driving an hour round trip for that." The service manager said "but we need it" and I said "I understand, I'll just remove it in three minutes and take a picture of the serial and send it to you." He sounded a bit surprised and said "you would do that?" I laughed and said it was a lot less of my time. I sent him the pic and all was good. Now I need to have the passenger side done.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Replacement parts for my passenger side airbag finally came in. Got the phone call from my dealership's service advisor today and have an appointment scheduled on Wednesday for the installation.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score

Ouch....198 bucks

$198 is a bargain compared to my wife’s Mini.. it’s one of those keys/fob combo things and the battery isn’t replaceable in it. I laughed out loud when the guy looked at me with a straight face and quoted me $300 PLUS programming for it.

More related, I need to schedule my damn airbag already.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back