Airiad intake and install

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Decided this weekend I would replace the stock intake and decided to look at the avail. intakes. Pretty much 5 vendors atm who produce a CAI:

1. JLT
2. Steeda
3. Airaid
4. MMR
5. C&L

After looking at the exterior tube design and features I decided to go with the Airaid. I had been waiting for the plastic JLT intake but seems like it kept getting delayed. I really like the Steeda and Airaid designs because they use the stock CAI inlet. Both have a good design for the sealed area for the filter but I think the Airaid design is a little better. Contemplating the exterior design of both it came down to the Airaid being modular meaning it comes with a insert that allows for no tune or adjustments. That was the final check for me and ordered from AutoAnything for $300 shipped.

It arrived today and installed it after work. Tops this is a 1 hour install. Stock intake removal takes about 15 min. Assembly and install of the Airaid consumes the rest and that is poking around drinking cervesas.

Install:

1. This kit is driven by quality.
A. Includes a Torx bit to remove the MAF.
B. Instructions are simple and straight forward.
C. Construction is outstanding. It fits like a glove.
2. The filter mount in the airbox is a velocity stack. One of the main features I was looking for.
CIMG1311.jpg

3. The kit includes the parts necessary to remove the stock sound induction tube (umbilical cord).
4. Most difficult part was putting the rubber seal around the airbox. Really...it was a piece of cake if that puts it into perspective for the overall install.

Additional pics:
CIMG1312.jpg

CIMG1314.jpg

CIMG1308.jpg

Install complete:
CIMG1317.jpg

Driveability:
I have a tune but did not have access to my tuner to change the tune so I installed the velocity stack. Throttle response is better than stock. Car pulls very strong. SOTP feel, there is some gain. I am anxious to update the tune with the velocity stack removed and see how it runs.

Conclusion:
For those looking for a quality CAI, best sealed box design that uses the stock CAI tube, modular for tune and non-tune users, wishes to remove the sound induction tube, priced right and a performance gain, this is the CAI for you. :beerchug2:

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Decided this weekend I would replace the stock intake and decided to look at the avail. intakes. Pretty much 5 vendors atm who produce a CAI:

1. JLT
2. Steeda
3. Airaid
5. C&L

After looking at the exterior tube design and features I decided to go with the Airaid. I had been waiting for the plastic JLT intake but seems like it kept getting delayed. I really like the Steeda and Airaid designs because they use the stock CAI inlet. Both have a good design for the sealed area for the filter but I think the Airaid design is a little better. Contemplating the exterior design of both it came down to the Airaid being modular meaning it comes with a insert that allows for no tune or adjustments. That was the final check for me and ordered from AutoAnything for $300 shipped.

It arrived today and installed it after work. Tops this is a 1 hour install. Stock intake removal takes about 15 min. Assembly and install of the Airaid consumes the rest and that is poking around drinking cervesas.

Install:

1. This kit is driven by quality.
A. Includes a Torx bit to remove the MAF.
B. Instructions are simple and straight forward.
C. Construction is outstanding. It fits like a glove.
2. The filter mount in the airbox is a velocity stack. One of the main features I was looking for.
CIMG1311.jpg

3. The kit includes the parts necessary to remove the stock sound induction tube (umbilical cord).
4. Most difficult part was putting the rubber seal around the airbox. Really...it was a piece of cake if that puts it into perspective for the overall install.

Additional pics:
CIMG1312.jpg

CIMG1314.jpg

CIMG1308.jpg

Install complete:
CIMG1317.jpg

Driveability:
I have a tune but did not have access to my tuner to change the tune so I installed the velocity stack. Throttle response is better than stock. Car pulls very strong. SOTP feel, there is some gain. I am anxious to update the tune with the velocity stack removed and see how it runs.

Conclusion:
For those looking for a quality CAI, best sealed box design that uses the stock CAI tube, modular for tune and non-tune users, wishes to remove the sound induction tube, priced right and a performance gain, this is the CAI for you. :beerchug2:

Looks good....I made a correction in your list for ya.

GroverDill

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good. Not that it matters but JLTs can be had for nearly comparable pricing
Another "cabin tube" deleted yay!

Last edited:

RSKtakR

Reaction score
make SURE you locktight the 3 bolts that hold the connector that the filter and tube clamp down to.. i have allready lost 1 out of mine and had to replace it. also.. try a tune from a vendor for a stock car, leave the insert in, and run it. i have a BBR tune and this car is running VERY good!! almost seems to be running better then the dyno tune w/ this CAI.. (gained 12whp by the way on the dyno)

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
make SURE you locktight the 3 bolts that hold the connector that the filter and tube clamp down to.. i have allready lost 1 out of mine and had to replace it. also.. try a tune from a vendor for a stock car, leave the insert in, and run it. i have a BBR tune and this car is running VERY good!! almost seems to be running better then the dyno tune w/ this CAI.. (gained 12whp by the way on the dyno)

Good advise. Thanks!

I will look into the tune piece. Lot's of variables there that need to be looked into with some data-logging.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Good advise. Thanks!

I will look into the tune piece. Lot's of variables there that need to be looked into with some data-logging.

ive asked around and not many shops have tunes for these intakes.. the 2 shops that ive talked to have told me that they havent gotten any better results w/ taking the insert out vs it staying in.. being about 10mm larger ID w/ the insert OUT.. i would think it would make a difference in airflow SOMEHOW.. but i also remember on my 06gt that it didnt seem to help any #'s either.. which leads to the question.. why do they design it like that? ? maybe for N/A aftermarket heads and cams motors??

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
ive asked around and not many shops have tunes for these intakes.. the 2 shops that ive talked to have told me that they havent gotten any better results w/ taking the insert out vs it staying in.. being about 10mm larger ID w/ the insert OUT.. i would think it would make a difference in airflow SOMEHOW.. but i also remember on my 06gt that it didnt seem to help any #'s either.. which leads to the question.. why do they design it like that? ? maybe for N/A aftermarket heads and cams motors??

Exactly. Room to grow.

I am fortunate to have a good friend that has tuned the car for me. I owe him many a favor. I'll chat with him and get his thoughts. May just leave it the same or it may need to be tweaked. Only way to know is to log some data for analysis.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Exactly. Room to grow.

I am fortunate to have a good friend that has tuned the car for me. I owe him many a favor. I'll chat with him and get his thoughts. May just leave it the same or it may need to be tweaked. Only way to know is to log some data for analysis.

well if you get better results w/ the insert out, let me know.. only tunes i have found available for it are w/ the insert in at this point.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
they use the stock CAI inlet

What does that mean?

The stock intake has a cold air inlet at the bottom left of the airbox. Both the Steeda and Airaid reuse this stock tube. This is important as it is a source for cold air as your car is moving.

This ties back into dyno results as well. The most accurate way to dyno a car is to have the hood closed and a ~60MPH constant flow of air in front of the car to simulate the car moving. You will walk away with a more accurate representation of how the car will perform on the street vs. having the hood open.

95% of the time you see a car dyno, it has the hood open and little to no airflow in front of the car. This can and will skew results.

Tucker

forum member
Reaction score
The stock intake has a cold air inlet at the bottom left of the airbox. Both the Steeda and Airaid reuse this stock tube. This is important as it is a source for cold air as your car is moving.

This ties back into dyno results as well. The most accurate way to dyno a car is to have the hood closed and a ~60MPH constant flow of air in front of the car to simulate the car moving. You will walk away with a more accurate representation of how the car will perform on the street vs. having the hood open.

95% of the time you see a car dyno, it has the hood open and little to no airflow in front of the car. This can and will skew results.
FYI, so does the JLT.

Liquid

Reaction score
Regarding the texture inside the tube, is the "bumpiness" normal for all CAI's? I would think the piece would be molded in a way to give a nice smooth texture on the inside to promote laminar air flow.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
well if you get better results w/ the insert out, let me know.. only tunes i have found available for it are w/ the insert in at this point.

Got the new tune on for the insert being out. Hard to tell if there is any difference. I will drive around for a few days and see how it feels. If no go, I will reinstall it and have the original tune loaded back on.

So far no driveability issues. Feels solid.

JV doose

forum member
Reaction score
nice write up.

im confused ... do the intakes that DO NOT require a tune make less power or have a weaker flow? i like the design of this but i still dont know what to go with =/

DIB5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Got the new tune on for the insert being out. Hard to tell if there is any difference. I will drive around for a few days and see how it feels. If no go, I will reinstall it and have the original tune loaded back on.

So far no driveability issues. Feels solid.

How can you feel no difference? The tune adds at least another 15rwhp. Plus the throttle response should be a lot better and your red line should be moved up between 7000-7300 and skip shift eliminated. Who did your tune? Take it to the track and test one with and without tune. I read the Airaid puts down 11 rwhp without tune.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back