All rear lights work, but not one brake light/turn signal

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
hey guys I have a strange issue (I feel like all I do is post issues of my car but you guys are super helpful for an amateur mechanic)
Anyways my rear taillights on my 05 gt all light up fine for my parking lights. But one light doesn’t work for the right side blinker or brakes. I’m not sure where to look fuse/wiring wise.
I have a diagram I’ve been using too below
Lastly my car is kinda gutted but all
The wiring is the same, the rear light used to work when the brakes are applied

6A219375-3499-4B29-9048-EB6CCC052956.png

E3EEC023-8BA1-4A92-B6E3-3343C339DF80.jpeg

B32A3E0D-3302-4126-BE80-CF20B2623D2E.jpeg

A540C200-D960-4412-80C5-0EC9BED0C1F0.jpeg

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Same issue here but brake lights and parking lights work. Just the drivers side rear blinker is out. Swapped bulbs with left and right side. Same bulb works on the passenger side. Bought new bulbs and still no drivers side rear blinker. Do not see any bad fuses.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Could be the smart junction box
That was my concern. But never had the water issue in the front as a lot of people have had . That being said, anything in particular for us to check with the SJB?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
That was my concern. But never had the water issue in the front as a lot of people have had . That being said, anything in particular for us to check with the SJB?
Pull the carpet back and look for brown spots on the carpet backing, sign of water intrusion. Also if you want to get more involved you could pull the kick panel and pull the cover off the sjb and check contacts for corrosion.

If you have gotten water in the sjb when it fully dries your issue should go away. Ive had water in my sjb a few times but the issues have always gone away after it dried.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Fixed my issue, grounded more paint off where the ground wire goes and works great.

Zinger question, has anyone cut the boxes above the bump stops before on the rear axle? I have my car lowered but I want to bring it down more

D9EBDC3D-C98F-43D6-A4CE-0D410973AD34.jpeg

C83F160B-BF82-4A9A-B3B1-E601E9FF1FBB.jpeg

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
That's your frame.. I suppose anything is possible with enough know how and torches but that would be best left to a shop you trust with fabrication work

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fixed my issue, grounded more paint off where the ground wire goes and works great.

Zinger question, has anyone cut the boxes above the bump stops before on the rear axle? I have my car lowered but I want to bring it down more

View attachment 68432

View attachment 68433
Those are the lifting points used on the assembly line.
Yes many people including myself have removed them.

I removed them to allow the use of 325/50R15” drag radials.

There are several methods of removal including using a spot weld cutter.
I used an air file to file down through the spot welds and a cutoff wheel to trim near the bottom.

There are many threads on the subject and there are people who make relocation brackets for the bump stops for this exact reason.

I made my own set of brackets.

Search for bumpstop bracket removal and bumpstop relocation brackets.

Last edited:

lklaus

Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. I had a similar issue with an aftermarket sequential tail light kit. Only the right side turn signal would malfunction as if a bulb was burnt out, but the hazzards and brake lights all lit up just fine. Over several months I determined it had to be a short in the wiring or the connector because I could mess with the wiring or unplug/replug the connector and the turn signal would work for a few days. A friend finally suggested trying some spray contact cleaner on the connector. Must have been some corrosion in the connector because it's been working fine ever since I sprayed the two halves.

46addict

Reaction score

Out of curiousity which ground did you clean up? Is it the one inside the trunk space?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back