Anyone know how this could happen...pic inside

svanur

Reaction score
Turbocharged 4.6L 3V, 6 PSI, Autolite HT0 plugs.

Never seen a plug do this before. My first impression is obviously piston to spark plug contact but then I noticed how the center section of the plug seems to be pulled down towards the ground electrode. Only thing I can think of is the piston hit the electrode driving it down into the plug and causing the center electrode to mushroom like that. Any suggestions? Can anyone suggest a better plug for the 06 keeping in mind the car is boosted?

View attachment 77876

I have had issues with the HT0 and dont use them any more. Switched to Brisk 3VR12S two colder or 3VR14S one colder depending on what you are running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I'm at 25 degrees total timing at 6.5psi @3000 rpm+ on 94 octane. Timing while not under boost, I've seen as high as 40 degrees. Seem reasonable? BTW, does anyone have an SCT config file I could use for data logging? So many options to choose from that I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for. I noticed my engine temperatures are at 195 F on a 90 F day, should I go to a 170 F thermostat? Currently a 180 in there?

07 Boss

Reaction score
I don't think your car is going to run any cooler with a different thermostat. If it's open it's open.

I was never a fan of the strap design on the HT plugs. I have anecdotal evidence that I don't get as complete combustion as I should with the HT plugs. This was always evident during decel when I would get a lot of incomplete combustion and a lot of popping in my exhaust. Not that it was necessarily a bad thing but switching plugs from the strap design to a more traditional style plug has always alleviated that.

Reaction score
I don't think your car is going to run any cooler with a different thermostat. If it's open it's open.

I was never a fan of the strap design on the HT plugs. I have anecdotal evidence that I don't get as complete combustion as I should with the HT plugs. This was always evident during decel when I would get a lot of incomplete combustion and a lot of popping in my exhaust. Not that it was necessarily a bad thing but switching plugs from the strap design to a more traditional style plug has always alleviated that.

I'm going to be ordering a set of Brisk 3VR12S or 3VR14S, probably the 3VR12S. Any other suggestions?

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering a set of Brisk 3VR12S or 3VR14S, probably the 3VR12S. Any other suggestions?

Just keep an eye on it. Pull your plugs occasionally and look for anything weird. Pulling plugs regularly is a good thing anyways, not necessarily to replace them but to give them a once over and cleaning. If folks did this with their HT plugs they wouldn't have the carbon build up that gets some plugs stuck.

PNYXPRS

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum. Just reading and listing. I've been running the HT0 with the Wipple and they run like a watch. I've got them gapped at 28 at greater they stumble and do not run well. Running 7lbs boost maybe 8. Can't remember I'm old. Take care. I enjoy all the reads.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Run the Brisk Silver tips (450 hp & up) for supercharged applications. Expensive but they're a one piece plug so no worries about breaking. I've run them for a couple of years now with no problems. Excellent performance.

DETROIT

Reaction score
Turbocharged 4.6L 3V, 6 PSI, Autolite HT0 plugs.

Never seen a plug do this before. My first impression is obviously piston to spark plug contact but then I noticed how the center section of the plug seems to be pulled down towards the ground electrode. Only thing I can think of is the piston hit the electrode driving it down into the plug and causing the center electrode to mushroom like that. Any suggestions? Can anyone suggest a better plug for the 06 keeping in mind the car is boosted?

View attachment 77876
Last year I ran into a similar problem but my plugs came apart. It started with a light intermittent rough idle and some detonation at WOT. I replaced the plugs and within 1000 miles I had the first plug come apart. A couple hundred miles later and a different plug started to fail. I asked my local shop to order a set of plugs with a different production date. I’m 3000 miles in and they are running strong on this set.

Rich

Reaction score
It happens, I had a brand new spark plug break the porcelain and slide down over the electrode after only five miles of driving around on it. Everything was going smooth and I noticed a rough idle so I went home pulled all the plugs and sure enough the brand new Motorcraft plug broke the porcelain and slid down over the Electrode.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back