Autocrossers! What are your off season upgrade plans?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thanks - I couldn't fit anything at all to those three letters, Still having a little trouble with the concept that oil pump gears might actually be . . . slightly brittle.

Norm

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks - I couldn't fit anything at all to those three letters, Still having a little trouble with the concept that oil pump gears might actually be . . . slightly brittle.

Norm

https://www.lmengines.com/mod-motor-oil-pump-failures/

A bit of reading Norm, but a bit down the page explains it pretty well.

Cliffs: powdered metal=brittle

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Interesting article, Mark, especially that it discusses impact in terms of jerk. That powdered metal is brittle doesn't surprise me. That it's being used for oil pump gears does.

Norm

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Interesting article, Mark, especially that it discusses impact in terms of jerk. That powdered metal is brittle doesn't surprise me. That it's being used for oil pump gears does.

Norm

Yeah, you would think that they would make them from better material with it being a known issue. Although depending on who you talk to the issue is blown way out of proportion, or they will break if you rev it above 5000 rpm. I guess I will just take my chances since I don't think I can legally change them in ESP anyway.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Trying to decide what car to autocross next year. None of our current cars fit in any SCCA classes well. I'd love to build something for STP but don't have a pony car at the moment. If Ford or GM would just send me one I'd race the heck out of it, gosh! :whistle1:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Yeah, you would think that they would make them from better material with it being a known issue. Although depending on who you talk to the issue is blown way out of proportion, or they will break if you rev it above 5000 rpm. I guess I will just take my chances since I don't think I can legally change them in ESP anyway.
Maybe it's worth a letter for clarification. Seems to be very closely related in spirit (as well as physical location) to the explicit allowances under 15.10.Z (I'm looking at the 2015 rules)
Alternate parts of the same general type (e.g., roller chain inplace of “silent” chain) may be substituted.
You'd think that improving the reliability with no inherent performance enhancement here would trump any preference to be cleaning up a mess on course resulting from short-sighted stubbornness . . .

Norm

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Trying to decide what car to autocross next year. None of our current cars fit in any SCCA classes well. I'd love to build something for STP but don't have a pony car at the moment. If Ford or GM would just send me one I'd race the heck out of it, gosh! :whistle1:

I'm open to sponsorship! Just saying. :clap: Maybe my car could finally beat Beatty that way.

5.M0NSTER

Reaction score
Big plans for the spring. Steeda Sport springs, adjustable Koni Yellow dampers, and Steeda HD CC plates. I will be keeping my 275/40-19 Bridgestone Potenzas, and I figure -1.5 to -2.0 deg of camber should help me take full advantage of them. What would you guys set front camber to for road racing with the setup above?

Plus I need a new set of XP10s for the front. I need to collect all parts by April 2016.
All with the goal of not letting a beat up old BMW get by me at the track :sparta:

Though to be honest I know I have to get semi-slicks to really achieve that. See 6:20 below to see what I mean :shakehead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-iEveZvMh8

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
Big plans for the spring. Steeda Sport springs, adjustable Koni Yellow dampers, and Steeda HD CC plates. I will be keeping my 275/40-19 Bridgestone Potenzas, and I figure -1.5 to -2.0 deg of camber should help me take full advantage of them. What would you guys set front camber to for road racing with the setup above?

Plus I need a new set of XP10s for the front. I need to collect all parts by April 2016.
All with the goal of not letting a beat up old BMW get by me at the track :sparta:

Though to be honest I know I have to get semi-slicks to really achieve that. See 6:20 below to see what I mean :shakehead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-iEveZvMh8

I think this option might be worth taking a look at.
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_179&products_id=559

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Definitely look into Vorshlag's offerings. It made my car run like a dream with their StreetPro kit, and proper tires (I had 295 Rivals on 18x10s). I can only imagine how the coil-over kits, they have, run. They also sell carbotech pads, and they have Centric rotors too.

2:45 in this one:

6:35 in this one:

Last edited:

5.M0NSTER

Reaction score

Definitely look into Vorshlag's offerings. It made my car run like a dream with their StreetPro kit, and proper tires (I had 295 Rivals on 18x10s). I can only imagine how the coil-over kits, they have, run. They also sell carbotech pads, and they have Centric rotors too.
Thanks for the input Kobie and Boaisy. I have looked at these for a while, and what is driving me away is
1) The shocks are not adjustable, which can be a problem with stiff springs for DD (I DD my car for 7 months a year and it sees 3-4 track days per year)
2) The only 2 options for springs are FRPP or Eibach. I heard Eibach springs are rough for DD duty on Michigan roads. I'd like to use Steeda or BMR springs if possible.

Boaisy, you're looking solid out there. What springs do you have with your setup? How does it handle bumps and potholes?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
The bilstein monotube is more comfortable on streets than any setting the koni can do.

If you don't want ford or Eibach springs, buy the dampers and (vorshlag) plates separately, and then go get the springs you want and assemble it yourself.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
I can vouch for the Bilsteins on a daily driver. I run Maximum Motorsports springs, about 380lb-in IIRC. I ran them last winter with Eibach Pro-kits which are softer springs, drove on snow tires on crappy Ohio roads. No issues whatsoever.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Kobie and Boaisy. I have looked at these for a while, and what is driving me away is
1) The shocks are not adjustable, which can be a problem with stiff springs for DD (I DD my car for 7 months a year and it sees 3-4 track days per year)
2) The only 2 options for springs are FRPP or Eibach. I heard Eibach springs are rough for DD duty on Michigan roads. I'd like to use Steeda or BMR springs if possible.

Boaisy, you're looking solid out there. What springs do you have with your setup? How does it handle bumps and potholes?

It was the same kit Kobie linked, and they had the Eibach springs for 11-14 on it that Vorshlag pairs with the kit. It was a little "bouncy," at times, (happens with Eibach's/FRPP's) but nothing that ruins the ride. I DD'd my Mustang and ran it at the track for about a year on that setup, and it literally drove on rails. I'm sure a true coil-over kit is much better, ask csamsh. My trip between work and home is 80 miles a day, and the closer I get to work, the worse the streets are.

If you want adjust-ability, wait until you can get a "real" set of coil-overs. Koni's will disappoint you. Not even the guys who run Spec 944 here are happy with the Koni's they are allowed to put on. Luckily, you can get Bilstein's in Spec 944 as well. I believe there is a thread/post on this forum where Terry, from Vorshlag, goes pretty in depth on why the Bilstein monotube, or any monotube for that matter, will be much better in the long run vs. the Koni twin tube.

Last edited:

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score

I have the steeda sport springs and vorshlag bilstein kit. You'll be fine. I've had koni yellows(2 sets) and I love the bilsteins.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Koni's with mild springs. Over 2 years and nearly 40 events here for my daily / autocross / track car. Bang for the buck is definitely there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back