axle back

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Either the brackets are installed, facing in the wrong direction and need to be flipped or it has to be the mufflers installed on the wrong side :shrug:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jewc75 is right, they are on the wrong fucking sides...
The hanger closest to the axle needs to be on the outside and the hanger closest to the exit needs to go to the inside.

OP, if this is your attention to detail, for the sake of humanity, please don't ever attempt to work on brake systems on a car.

OctaneStreet

Reaction score
I just want to add that with my Borla ATAK axle back, I had to get the hangers cut (shorten) quite a bit, and had to weld it onto the frame rail which is NOT where the stock one welds. I was disappointed with the extra steps needed to make the axle-back fit nicely as well; since it's not stated anywhere that this is the case. However what I learned is that Aftermarket exhausts are not a literal plug and play / perfect fit situation.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
My Borla ATAK axle back, is aprrox 1/16" higher on the driver side vs the passenger side. Steps taken at this point were rotating the OTA pipe and axle back which didn't make any difference. Therefore would flipping the hanger bracket attached to the body possibly lower the height or would bending the hanger rod attached to the axle back be the most effective way for adjusting the height?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I bend the rods on the muffler(s) to fine tune alignment.
Flipping the bracket is a HUGE "adjustment".

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
So how exactly do you manage to bend the rods to fine tune alignment without having to heat them up first with a torch or something :shrug:

MrBhp

Reaction score
So... I'm just wondering. Or maybe wandering. Not sure. If you put them on the wrong side, does that make them quieter than stock, and take away horsepower? Asking for a friend.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So... I'm just wondering. Or maybe wandering. Not sure. If you put them on the wrong side, does that make them quieter than stock, and take away horsepower? Asking for a friend.
It gives you the lowrider exhaust look and keeps the back bumper cleaner if you tune is off. Goes good with 13" 100 spoke rimz

ShelbySteve

Reaction score
I just want to add that with my Borla ATAK axle back, I had to get the hangers cut (shorten) quite a bit, and had to weld it onto the frame rail which is NOT where the stock one welds. I was disappointed with the extra steps needed to make the axle-back fit nicely as well; since it's not stated anywhere that this is the case. However what I learned is that Aftermarket exhausts are not a literal plug and play / perfect fit situation.
Mine fit just fine so maybe it’s a quality control issue

07 Boss

Reaction score
So how exactly do you manage to bend the rods to fine tune alignment without having to heat them up first with a torch or something :shrug:

I have never put an exhaust in that didn't need some form of massaging from bending a hanger to dinging a header to flat out cutting up primaries. But yes, I heat the hanger rod with a torch till it glows and then use my jack handle or like juice, a box end depending on which part of the rod you are trying to bend. I do it off the car and its usually a trial and error fitment thing. But last time I threw some Outlaws on there I just used a floor jack and block of wood to bent it into place.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Open end/box end wrench.
Put the open end over where you want to bend/adjust.
Long extension or pry bar througb box end, and pull/push/twist.

I have never put an exhaust in that didn't need some form of massaging from bending a hanger to dinging a header to flat out cutting up primaries. But yes, I heat the hanger rod with a torch till it glows and then use my jack handle or like juice, a box end depending on which part of the rod you are trying to bend. I do it off the car and its usually a trial and error fitment thing. But last time I threw some Outlaws on there I just used a floor jack and block of wood to bent it into place.

Thanks guys, much appreciated :waytogo:

Conway Hunt

Reaction score
Installed new FRPP M-5230-S on my 2008 BULLITT (Chalmers) in July. Upon comparing driver’s side OEM to what came in the box revealed that final assembly techs in Flat Rock, MI needed to apply a 45 degree bend to the aft upper hanger rod essentially pointing it toward the tail light.

In order to match the “factory fix” I put heat and manual labor on the matching FRPP rod to no avail — no joy, it was like trying to break out of a prison cell.

My Solution: left all pieces alone as delivered. But, massaged every moveable connection from the H-pipe to the exhaust tip with special attention to the vibration rubbers in the hangers themselves.

After about 3 hours on the driver’s side and 1 hour on the pax side—Done. Almost perfect. Finally, in slow time took “Chalmers” to a muffler shop, they used their magic and now they are spot on.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back