Battery Alternative

00quicksilver

Reaction score
Well the factory battery finally died in my 05gt this morning and was thinking of looking into alternatives. As my car is a daily I don't really want to go with a braille setup or anything like that right now. I have seen on some of the fox body forums that people run a civic battery as they are under 25lbs and cheaper than the mustang battery. I am more concerned about losing some weight off the nose of the car so I was curious if anyone knows if this can be done in our cars as well without significant modification. If the battery tray and the cables need to be modified this would not be worth it IMO. Just curious.

00quicksilver

Reaction score
Sweet, I do have some of those. Is it best to relocate the potatoes to the trunk to help with weight transfer?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Sweet, I do have some of those. Is it best to relocate the potatoes to the trunk to help with weight transfer?

I would bake and eat them with some sort of helpless animal meat, the more helpless the more tender as a rule.
After that I would get an Optima and put it in the trunk.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I would bake and eat them with some sort of helpless animal meat, the more helpless the more tender as a rule.
After that I would get an Optima and put it in the trunk.

Fucking awesome answer! This is why I love this forum. :evillaugh:

Electrical problems suck and I will go to great lengths to avoid them. At the first hint of trouble I replaced my stock battery with an AGM style battery in a slightly larger size (still fits in the battery tray). For a DD I would avoid the inevitable complications and issues associated with a battery relocation.

00quicksilver

Reaction score
Fucking awesome answer! This is why I love this forum. :evillaugh:

Electrical problems suck and I will go to great lengths to avoid them. At the first hint of trouble I replaced my stock battery with an AGM style battery in a slightly larger size (still fits in the battery tray). For a DD I would avoid the inevitable complications and issues associated with a battery relocation.

In all seriousness, I think I will just go with an an autozone replacement this time. I have had horrible luck with optimas in the past (3 redtops have lasted a total of 5 years between them on my old GT). Will try to figure out relocation/weight reduction when my car isn't dead.

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
url

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
I went with the Ford Motorcraft battery, decent price since I get a discount. Walmart has one of the best rated batteries (high amps, low cost), especially for a DD.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Only problem with walmart batteries is they don't prorate them anymore. So even if it craps out 1 day after the free replacement warranty they won't prorate it. You are stuck paying full price for a new battery. They did this with my super duty and I swore them off since then.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
There was this episode of breaking bad where the battery in the Winnebago died, Jesse left the keys in the ignition, and Walter used his chemistry knowledge to build a battery. I would do that in your car.

00quicksilver

Reaction score
There was this episode of breaking bad where the battery in the Winnebago died, Jesse left the keys in the ignition, and Walter used his chemistry knowledge to build a battery. I would do that in your car.

I'm not smarter than a meth cook apparently. Bought one at autozone as they do 3 year replacement followed by 2 more years prorated. Slightly lower CCA but had no issues starting up the beast.

DRock

Reaction score
I run an Odyssey one in mine and have been very happy.

Mine is in the trunk to boot.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Optima Yellow Top has been flawless for 4 years. Even sat for 7 months without starting and it fired right up the first time.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Deka batteries are the only ones worth a shit imo.

I have a Deka battery in my Mustang they use as back up batteries to start hospital generators, it's awesome, but heavy :( I think I'm gonna swap it with the Red Top in my truck.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I've usually used Duralast (Autozone). Only had to turn one in early on my dad's IROC-Z. Mainly because it just sits in the garage and doesn't get driven that much (show car). I think it was on the edge of the 5 year warranty, and got some credit towards the new one (about $15).

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score

If I could cook meth I would do that.....then buy a whole bunch of batteries.:thumb:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back