Battery Drain?

Mobolis

Reaction score
What are some other systems that draw the battery down, if it is not the Shaker 500? Thanks

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
It could be anything but the most common are the ICE system, subwoofers, and aftermarket immobilizers.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on how bad is it.
I have a new battery, and I know my car does not have any issues with ignition off draw.
I really cant let my car sit for more than 2 months, it will drain my battery.
Dont leave key in the ignition.while parked, that keeps some of the computers awake and increase the draw. (I should test this out of curiosity) I left my key in the ignition once, and found my battery dead overnite. That batt was on its last legs, but with key out it would be fine.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I plug a solar-powered battery tender into the 12V outlet when I have the car parked outside. I was still able to start the engine even after two weeks without driving the car but if I know it's going to be parked for a more extended period, I just disconnect the negative battery cable.

Mike in SC

Lactation Consultant
Reaction score
I have an "09 GT Coupe and I believe that my drain comes from the Shaker 500 not shutting off the sub-woofers. As long as I shut off the stereo before I shut down the engine -I'm OK. My $.02.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I have an "09 GT Coupe and I believe that my drain comes from the Shaker 500 not shutting off the sub-woofers. As long as I shut off the stereo before I shut down the engine -I'm OK. My $.02.

I have a 2007 and no longer have Shaker anything and still drains, just leave it on a tender

Earl D Davis

Reaction score
I just worded on an 05. It has a CD stuck in the radio, you can hear it trying to read the disc. It will drain the battery in a few hours. I haven't been able to get the disc out as yet so I pulled both fuses and now it is fine

Mobolis

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input, I had it on my battery charger/maintainer this morning for 2.75 hours, charger read 99% and battery13.04 volts when I took it off. Took it out a drive and the battery read 12.71 volts when I came back. The last time I checked the charging system it read 14.00 volts at the battery. What do think?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input, I had it on my battery charger/maintainer this morning for 2.75 hours, charger read 99% and battery13.04 volts when I took it off. Took it out a drive and the battery read 12.71 volts when I came back. The last time I checked the charging system it read 14.00 volts at the battery. What do think?
All good there voltage wise, and battery is fully charged (12.7

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If your vehicle has the factory anti-theft active alarm system which includes motion incline sensors? they'll also drain the battery within 2 weeks from being parked/not driven. The only way that I know of to prevent it, is deactivating the motion incline sensors by not locking up the car with the key fob, but rather locking the doors manually. Locking the doors manually will prevent the motion incline sensors of the active anti-theft system from activating. If your vehicle has just the standard passive anti-theft system and shaker 500/1000 audio system? then chances are it's only the shaker 500/1000 responsible for draining your battery. At any rate, whenever my car is parked inside the garage and not being driven, I always keep a battery tender connected along with locking the doors manually to prevent the active anti-theft incline sensors from drawing current/running in the background.

Mobolis

Reaction score
Thanks to all. T-Red, I leave the car unlocked in the garage, is that a problem? Thanks

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Whenever the car is left unlocked, the incline motion sensors and security system are not active. Only the security monitors run in the background, but won't draw any type of parasitic current that will drain the car's battery. Therefore, leaving your vehicle unlocked in the garage is not a problem.

lanny0706

Reaction score
My 2008 BULLITT#5430 also has the active anti-theft. I took a tip from the Factory Service Manuals — the battery storage disable fuse (10 amp) is located at position #43 under the fuse box lid.
Just pull it any time you don’t want to drain the battery.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
My 2008 BULLITT#5430 also has the active anti-theft. I took a tip from the Factory Service Manuals — the battery storage disable fuse (10 amp) is located at position #43 under the fuse box lid.
Just pull it any time you don’t want to drain the battery.
Never heard of a battery storage disable fuse, nor was ever aware of it. So what exactly is it and what is it designed for?

lanny0706

Reaction score
My 2003 PT Cruiser GT has a dedicated “battery discharge interrupt” fuse that features a pull-up / push- down feature that was highly touted by frequent flyers when they left their cars inline term airport parking.
I called Ford Technical Service and they referred me to the electrical systems chapter in the Factory Workshop Manuals (Vol 1).
Right there in print is the tip that the red 10 amp fuse in position #43 will interrupt current flow. The good news is that the active anti-theft still works, but all other parasitic drains are halted.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
So if the red 10 amp fuse in position #43 is designed to interrupt current flow and halt all other parasitic drains, then how is it that the shaker 500/1000 and active anti-theft systems are draining car batteries within 2-3 weeks from being parked :shrug:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back