BBK shorties with dyno

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Oh ok. I thought that might have been why your tq showed a little low.

Could be several factors. The shorties may have an effect on it some. The torque curve seems unusually flat compared to other dyno graphs.

The same place is having a dyno day on 3/12 and there will be plenty of 2011's to compare against. That will be a better story to read against.

What I am most excited about is the top end power. Several graphs I have seen show a pretty drastic dip around 6,500. Not seeing that major dip here. I am curious just how much of an impact the Boss intake will have up top. If I can manage 50WHP more, as seen with other cars, that will net 480WHP. Stock cams, untouched heads. I think that seems pretty remarkable.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Could be several factors. The shorties may have an effect on it some. The torque curve seems unusually flat compared to other dyno graphs.

The same place is having a dyno day on 3/12 and there will be plenty of 2011's to compare against. That will be a better story to read against.

What I am most excited about is the top end power. Several graphs I have seen show a pretty drastic dip around 6,500. Not seeing that major dip here. I am curious just how much of an impact the Boss intake will have up top. If I can manage 50WHP more, as seen with other cars, that will net 480WHP. Stock cams, untouched heads. I think that seems pretty remarkable.

I don't think 50 peak rwhp is possible with an intake. Maybe 50 hp somewhere on the graph, but you aren't going to get 480 rwhp by replacing a great flowing intake with an intake that's simply geared more towards high rpm hp.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think 50 peak rwhp is possible with an intake. Maybe 50 hp somewhere on the graph, but you aren't going to get 480 rwhp by replacing a great flowing intake with an intake that's simply geared more towards high rpm hp.

Really? I saw JJ@WMS do it. Rick@Livernois posted almost identical results.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53378&page=4

Maybe I won't make that much. I guess we will see in the near future. ;)

Last edited:

Whocares05050

forum member
Reaction score
From a scientific, comparison only, here is what the difference is between my 5.0 and the OP's. I know, different cars, days, weather, all that good stuff, however, it will still give a pretty good idea modification vs. modification. Looks like he makes more power (red line) and I make more power in the midrange (blue line)

I have Magnaflow cat back, JLT intake, and evolution tune.

Could the headers / cat deletes really make a loss like this in the midrange?
Overlaydyno.jpg

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Really? I saw JJ@WMS do it. Rick@Livernois posted almost identical results.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53378&page=4

Maybe I won't make that much. I guess we will see in the near future. ;)

I have read the results from the intake. Have you? You will pick up 3-10 hp and lose an equal amount of torque. An intake doesn't give you 50 peak rwhp like you are thinking. You might want to look into a kit if you want hp that easy and cheap.

Whocares05050

forum member
Reaction score
Please excuse me, but i also am not a pro with the SAE correction factors either. not sure how far off it is.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I have read the results from the intake. Have you? You will pick up 3-10 hp and lose an equal amount of torque. An intake doesn't give you 50 peak rwhp like you are thinking. You might want to look into a kit if you want hp that easy and cheap.

So let's analyze those results for a few....what the Boss intake does is make more power in the RPM range most used when racing. If I can move my shift point up 5-600RPM and make 50HP more at the peak when I shift, I can guarantee you that car will be much faster in the quarter.

6600-7500 the Boss intake kills the stocker. I am fine loosing some down lower.

For those looking for the best street setup, that may not work for them.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

Could the headers / cat deletes really make a loss like this in the midrange?

Doubt it. I think the shorties are moving the power up in the RPM range while at the same time making more peak.

ngnichols

forum member
Reaction score
If you actually go back and re-read the WMS and Livernois results, their gains of 50+rwhp WERE NOT at the peak, but rather past the peak.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
If you actually go back and re-read the WMS and Livernois results, their gains of 50+rwhp WERE NOT at the peak, but rather past the peak.

Their PEAK moved. Went from ~6,500 to 7,500+. Where the stock intake leaves off, the Boss intake continues to make and increase power.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Removed by OP.

Attachments

• Boss Dyno 3.jpg
    Boss Dyno 3.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Sweet. It picked up 3 hp and lost torque... Are you trying to prove me correct? I think I already told you that was going to happen.

Khell

Reaction score
Sweet. It picked up 3 hp and lost torque... Are you trying to prove me correct? I think I already told you that was going to happen.

I think what wbt is trying to say is at the top end (rpm) it picks up 50 rwhp almost over stock which is where you're gonna want to be when racing. JJ @ WMS posted a vid of him pulling to 7600 and it didn't drop below 6k rpm so he was in his peak power range the whole time. WBT's graph does show midrange loss put his topend is pretty beast. Good set up for the drag strip.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
If I can manage 50WHP more, as seen with other cars, that will net 480WHP. Stock cams, untouched heads. I think that seems pretty remarkable.

Their PEAK moved. Went from ~6,500 to 7,500+. Where the stock intake leaves off, the Boss intake continues to make and increase power.

I think what wbt is trying to say is at the top end (rpm) it picks up 50 rwhp almost over stock which is where you're gonna want to be when racing. JJ @ WMS posted a vid of him pulling to 7600 and it didn't drop below 6k rpm so he was in his peak power range the whole time. WBT's graph does show midrange loss put his topend is pretty beast. Good set up for the drag strip.

I think he just doesn't know what he is talking about. He thinks he can bolt it on and he will have 480 rwhp lol.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I am not going to argue with a imbecile such as yourself.

I had the balls to try something different and post results for the community. If you don't like it then feel free to decline participation.

BTW - I attached an edited dyno graph from WMS for your personal viewing pleasure.

**Feel free to not post in my threads again douche bag.** :thumb:

I have to agree with the guy who doesn't know a bolt on from a blower ;), that graph shows a big pick up of hp (50 on the upper end of the curve), but only a 3hp peak gain.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I think he just doesn't know what he is talking about. He thinks he can bolt it on and he will have 480 rwhp lol.

I re-read what you are saying and will admit I was looking at it from a different approach.

I understand what you are saying and you are correct it doesn't pickup "50whp". It sustains its peak and doesn't drop off like the stock intake.

My apologies.

So yes 480whp is out of the question however it will continue to pull to 7,500+ which will result in better track times.

Jonbones

stumoc sreu itlte
Reaction score
Interesting. I made 419 RWHP @ 60* outside temp (410 corrected to 80* temp and avg TX humidity ) on 93 pump gas, on intake, custom tune and full catback.....my tuner says I'd be in the 430's with an offroad x-pipe....Pretty sure there was a video floating around a few months ago of someone with stock headers, o/r xpipe, and full exhaust, intake and tune making 436 to the wheels...

I didn't think it would be worth it to go with shortys since you basically get shorties from the factory...

I'll chime back in when I get my lethal o/r xpipe installed, but I'm betting I make near the same if not more than the 429.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back