BBK shorties with dyno

cantdrive55

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. I made 419 RWHP @ 60* outside temp (410 corrected to 80* temp and avg TX humidity ) on 93 pump gas, on intake, custom tune and full catback.....my tuner says I'd be in the 430's with an offroad x-pipe....Pretty sure there was a video floating around a few months ago of someone with stock headers, o/r xpipe, and full exhaust, intake and tune making 436 to the wheels...

I didn't think it would be worth it to go with shortys since you basically get shorties from the factory...

I'll chime back in when I get my lethal o/r xpipe installed, but I'm betting I make near the same if not more than the 429.
Unless these cars were all dynoed on the same dyno, on the same day, comparing the numbers is worthless.

Just like how looking at the OP's dyno graph is worthless without a baseline.

Jonbones

stumoc sreu itlte
Reaction score
good point. I made 380 @ the wheels stock...+40WHP for the mods is decent I suppose--If I lose the cats, Im sure I can get another 10-15 out of it

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Which dyno? I lack the exhaust mods currently but am curious on your o/r gains as I will be switching up pretty soon.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Had my car dynoe'd today after installing the BBK shorties last weekend.

Best results of each run were:

429WHP
376WTQ

I think that is in-line with a LT setup IMO.

Power adder mods are:

CAI
Tune
O/R x-pipe
BBK shorties

Missed this thread. All the boss manifold and dyno graph talk aside...

The 5.0 has tuned length headers already! You replaced probably the best flowing header ford has ever made with bbk shorties and think you picked up gains like longtubes???
I bet you didnt make any power and may have lost some in areas with those bbk shorties.

The power is in the true 3" o/r midpipe for the 5.0.

Cobra mike on here (local to me) made 426rwhp and 398rwtq with steeda cai,lethal x pipe,magnaflow catback, and 93 octane tune. (5th gear pull, same dyno jet my car was tuned on)

Last edited:

Khell

Reaction score
Missed this thread. All the boss manifold and dyno graph talk aside...

The 5.0 has tuned length headers already! You replaced probably the best flowing header ford has ever made with bbk shorties and think you picked up gains like longtubes???
I bet you didnt make any power and may have lost some in areas with those bbk shorties.

The power is in the true 3" o/r midpipe for the 5.0.

Cobra mike on here (local to me) made 426rwhp and 398rwtq with steeda cai,lethal x pipe,magnaflow catback, and 93 octane tune. (5th gear pull, same dyno jet my car was tuned on)

Yeah i think you're right about the midpipe bringing in the power. It looks like the shorties moved his powerband up though, he keeps getting power all the way to the redline. I'd love to see some shorties with the boss intake. I bet the high end power they'd make would be pretty sweet.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah i think you're right about the midpipe bringing in the power. It looks like the shorties moved his powerband up though, he keeps getting power all the way to the redline. I'd love to see some shorties with the boss intake. I bet the high end power they'd make would be pretty sweet.

Coming soon. I think people are failing to see the power shift which is most important at the strip.

I figured it would create a shit-storm going this route and posting the numbers.

I am happy with the results and hope others in the community can use the data to make a more educated decision.

BTW , I paid a whopping $270 for them and installed myself so I consider the time and money well spent.:thumb:

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Unless these cars were all dynoed on the same dyno, on the same day, comparing the numbers is worthless.

Just like how looking at the OP's dyno graph is worthless without a baseline.

Thank you for saving me from typing..

OP, just get that thing down the track, its a better test od how fast your car really is rather than some peak number on a dyno..Good luck..

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for saving me from typing..

OP, just get that thing down the track, its a better test od how fast your car really is rather than some peak number on a dyno..Good luck..

I have had it down the strip plenty of times. Ran a best of 11.94@114 prior to the shorties. I am making a ton of changes to the car all at once so I doubt new times will accurately reflect the impact of the shorties.

I know there is 3-4 tenths of gain to be had just in the suspension mods I am making.

Hope to have some new numbers in March.

To those who bitch and whine about not having a before dyno as a comparison, well we all have personal lives and I couldn't make it happen. No excuses, just the way it worked out.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get that bitch under 11.50!! Well, at least you have before 1/4 mile runs even though you are doing more mods other than the shorties. At the end of the day, who gives a fuck unless you are trying to sell the headers on a mass level. Your 1/4 mile gains will be with your other mods as well. At least you will gain:beerdrink:

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
To all the guys, TQ gets you off the line after that its all HP baby.... give me a car with 500hp and 300TQ and youll see some crazy traps... also the higher the TQ the harder to control the car out of a launch it becomes.... so what if you get a few feet on me in the beginning because halfway down youll be in my rear view mirror

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
To all the guys, TQ gets you off the line after that its all HP baby.... give me a car with 500hp and 300TQ and youll see some crazy traps... also the higher the TQ the harder to control the car out of a launch it becomes.... so what if you get a few feet on me in the beginning because halfway down youll be in my rear view mirror

You're not really sure how this works, are you?

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score

Thats an extreeeemley simplified way of looking at it, and largely innacurate.
Some of the easiest and most consistent cars to drive at the track are low reving, high torque motors, give them tire and proper gearing and you can chirp and go consistently on every launch.

Also, torque and horsepower are the based off of each other, you cant have one without the other. If you took thise engine and totally redesigned it so that it was making peak torque at 2k rpm, it would be making roughly the same peak torque, just with a lot less power, and it would be a loooot slower.

ViciousJay

forum member
Reaction score
Thats an extreeeemley simplified way of looking at it, and largely innacurate.
Some of the easiest and most consistent cars to drive at the track are low reving, high torque motors, give them tire and proper gearing and you can chirp and go consistently on every launch.

Also, torque and horsepower are the based off of each other, you cant have one without the other. If you took thise engine and totally redesigned it so that it was making peak torque at 2k rpm, it would be making roughly the same peak torque, just with a lot less power, and it would be a loooot slower.

yea let go back to 03/04 with the cobra guys, launch those cars werent easy formt he get go and hten we threw REAL POWER at them and it made it even harder. as ive stated to all the crybabies, whether you wan tot admit it or not TQ get you off the line and HP makes you finish past the line

You're not really sure how this works, are you?
oh i do, i hope those arent the only fast cars youve owned in your sig, i just made a very bland statement, obviously you dont understand how racing works

Last edited by a moderator:

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
oh i do, i hope those arent the only fast cars youve owned in your sig, i just made a very bland statement, obviously you dont understand how racing works

Yes, those are the ones that I have personally owned.

I've helped build faster and I've been involved in racing for 22 years and working on cars in general for 30 years.

If your post is your understanding of it, I feel pretty confident in what I know.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
yea let go back to 03/04 with the cobra guys, launch those cars werent easy formt he get go and hten we threw REAL POWER at them and it made it even harder. as ive stated to all the crybabies, whether you wan tot admit it or not TQ get you off the line and HP makes you finish past the line

Im sorry, but I have no idea what you are saying...

Whocares05050

forum member
Reaction score

The last three post you have made make absoultley no sense in real world racing. HP & TQ go hand in hand. Im really sorry if you dont understand that much. Getting off the line is everything in racing.

Haha. What are you driving? A turbo honda civic?

These 5.0'a make almost 400 rwtq with a few bolt ons and a tune and about 430 rwhp....

You are living in a dream world, or are just use to driving slow cars. TQ=HP. If you're a good driver no matter the power, you should be able to have "crazy" traps no matter what. You think 500hp/300tq is going to give you ''crazy traps''? I just saw a 200+ mph trap at the track last friday. you wont hit those trap times...anything under 150mph trap speed is pretty normal to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Haha. What are you driving? A turbo honda civic?

These 5.0'a make almost 400 rwtq with a few bolt ons and a tune and about 430 rwhp....

You are living in a dream world, or are just use to driving slow cars. TQ=HP. If you're a good driver no matter the power, you should be able to have "crazy" traps no matter what. You think 500hp/300tq is going to give you ''crazy traps''? I just saw a 200+ mph trap at the track last friday. you wont hit those trap times...anything under 150mph trap speed is pretty normal to me.

That's exactly what I was thinking. LOL! I can't recall any V8 Mustangs that have such a huge disparity between HP and TQ. But then, you were just trying to "educate" people with a "for instance" weren't you ViciousJay?

I smell that filthy little animal known as a troll.

Meister

forum member
Reaction score
In the first graph, on the red run (#2) you can see the dip in HP/TQ which is most likely the knock sensors pulling out timing. Surprising this even happened on a dynojet.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I am not so sure of that. Without data-logging it is just speculation.

Next dyno will be with Boss intake.

Back