Belt slippage, what to do next???

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
Built 4.6 3v motor, D1sc, 8 rib 3.4 pulley. Gets up tp 6200 rpms and the belt starts slipping. Anyone else been down this road and what did you do? Will likely be switching to a 3.8 pulley for now and then later when money becomes available go to a 12 rib setup.

Also what's the hp limit on the stock manifold and TB? I had the FRPP manifold and L&M TB but they were leaking under boost and went back ti the stock setup. For a few pulls on the dyno they held at 650 rwhp but my question is how long and is there more?

Thanks.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Examine your tensioner and see where it sits in the range of travel. You need to size your pulleys so the tensioner is near the center of its travel range when at rest. You can play with idler pulley sizes where possible in order to create or remove slack in the system. If you dropped from a 3.8 to a 3.4 blower pulley then you need to take up that slack somewhere else.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did u try Shorter belt?

+1 to Skwerl /\ bigger idler pulley

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
Need to look where the tensioner is set at. We did get a shorter gator belt and tightened the tensioner bolt to where its almost bending. Its as tight as we can get it.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
OR could you look into crank pulley overdrive options? Go with say a 5% or 10% crank overdrive? This would allow you to run a larger pulley on top for more belt contact as well having more belt contact on a larger crank overdrive pulley, while keeping your boost near the place you wish to be. You may wish to look into that option if it could apply in this scenario.

I am assuming that you have already upgraded your belt tensioner to something heavier so I will not be redundant in mentioning that.

Just brain storming. Maybe this will jog a Procharger experts thinking process. Good luck.

Doesn't procharger also offer a direct (aka dedicated) belt drive option as well?

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ emailed you guys after reading the article. Well written and holds a lot if water from a common sense factor. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where you are coming from once you introduce the concern you are trying to minimize. Thanks for another well written article.

46addict

Reaction score
Also what's the hp limit on the stock manifold and TB? I had the FRPP manifold and L&M TB but they were leaking under boost and went back ti the stock setup. For a few pulls on the dyno they held at 650 rwhp but my question is how long and is there more?

Thanks.
From the threads I've read here you will reach the limits of 93 octane before the stock intake manifold becomes a problem. What are you using for fuel?

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
Should have bought the 12 rib set up I had for sale.

lol yea I know.

From the threads I've read here you will reach the limits of 93 octane before the stock intake manifold becomes a problem. What are you using for fuel?

Made 651 rwhp at 6200 rpms on pump gas. Boost lines are wavy so now we will try a 3.7 pully and 100 octane. Gonna also look into making a bracket for the idler to get more belt on the pully.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Prochargers need the belt tensioner cranked down hard, as far as you can get it. It's a common issue even with the separate 8 rib drive.

Edit: My D1SC required a lot of tension to get 19psi. If you can find a Reichard Racing slotted pulley it will help a lot.

Last edited:

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
Prochargers need the belt tensioner cranked down hard, as far as you can get it. It's a common issue even with the separate 8 rib drive.

Edit: My D1SC required a lot of tension to get 19psi. If you can find a Reichard Racing slotted pulley it will help a lot.

Thanks. Yea we have it as tight as can be to no avail. Will look into that route also.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I have a D1 on our F150 4wd truck, and it's only 6 rib. I actually added an idler right after the blower to wrap the belt around the blower pulley alot more than the way it came, and it worked good but had to go with a longer belt. I also added a Reichard pulley that has notches in it like someone above stated and that helped a bit too.

Last edited:

jjjferro

forum member
Reaction score
I have a D1 on our F150 4wd truck, and it's only 6 rib. I actually added an idler right after the blower to wrap the belt around the blower pulley alot more than the way it came, and it worked good but had to go with a longer belt. I also added a Reichard pulley that has notches in it like someone above stated and that helped a bit too.

Can you provide a pic? Would love to see how you routed it.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Can you provide a pic? Would love to see how you routed it.
It's on a completely different kit for our 2001 4wd F150, it may be not be relavent at all for a mustang, but I might be able to get one this next weekend

46addict

Reaction score
So OP, did you ever find a solution for this? If you ended up buying the Reichard pulley how did that work out for you? A google search shows results for PD blower cars. Would I have to call RR and special order one for a Procharger setup?

Also will I need a whole new pulley set or does the blower pulley alone take care of the slip?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back