Bench bleeding clutch master cylinder

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I decided to go ahead and replace my clutch master cylinder since it has around 100K on it and I have the system apart anyway.

What is the best way to bench bleed the clutch MC (since it has no reservoir of its own), and then after it's installed do you have to bleed the entire system, brakes and all?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
You don’t have to bench bleed it. You just have to install it, add some brake fluid and pump your clutch pedal until its firm, no pun intended lol. You don’t have to touch the brakes. The good thing about the clutch master cylinders in these cars it that they are self bleeding, pumping the pedal is all you need to do to bleed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
It probably wasn't necessary but the last time I replaced the clutch master cylinder I decided to run plastic tubing to feed the master cylinder with a small funnel attached to it and attached my braided clutch line to the master cylinder. Then I hung the whole thing vertically using a string attached to the funnel. Poured the brake fluid into the funnel and pumped the master cylinder by hand and slowly worked all of the air bubbles up to the top and out of the funnel. (With the clear plastic tubing feeding the master cylinder you can see the air bubbles escape.) When I was satisfied I left the clutch braided line attached to the master cylinder then capped both ends and installed it in the car. I tried this method after stumbling across a youtube video of it.

(HINT - air bubbles travel faster and better in a straight line vertically up instead of twisting and turning thru tubing when installed in the car.)

It wasn't hard and it worked great, but it probably wasn't necessary. If you just install it in the car and pump the clutch pedal you will work all of the air out, but it just takes longer. I've also attached a hand vacuum pump to the master cylinder reservoir to help suck the air bubbles out as well. That works pretty good too.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OK. I searched on google and found posts here and on other sites where people were saying you needed to bleed all the brakes and everything else. I'd like to do the vacuum pump if I can find one to rent at one of the local auto parts stores.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
You can buy the mighty vac hand vacuum pump from harbor freight for probably about $20 bucks. Then buy an old fashioned rubber sink stopper from lowes for about $1.50. Grab one about the same diameter as your master cylinder opening. About 1 1/2 inches I think. Punch a small hole in the sink stopper and attach the vacuum pump to it. Press it in the master cylinder reservoir and pump/hold about 20 lbs of pressure and hold for about 30 seconds. Then get inside car and pump clutch pedal a few times. Repeat as necessary to get all air bubbles out.

Last edited:

GlassTop09

Reaction score
So I decided to go ahead and replace my clutch master cylinder since it has around 100K on it and I have the system apart anyway.

What is the best way to bench bleed the clutch MC (since it has no reservoir of its own), and then after it's installed do you have to bleed the entire system, brakes and all?
Hi ghunt81,

Just curious....which clutch master cylinder did you get? The OEM replacement unit or the 1 for a '13-'14 GT500?
If the latter do you have the FoMoCo part # for it? Asking due to me hearing that this unit @ the 13-14 GT500 is the 1 to get but I can't find a FoMoCo part number that is different from the OEM replacement for any 05-14 GT\GT500.....

I bought an aftermarket performance version (PowerTorque brand HP all metal construction clutch master cylinder....sold thru O'Reileys Auto Parts....that is built to the std OEM 05-14 Ford #7A543 specs) to replace mine last year (was leaking thru the rear past the rod) & I know that LMR sells an all metal version of this as well (Centric brand) but I keep hearing that the 1 for a 13-14 GT500 is different from the OEM units (assuming it has a larger OD plunger to increase TOB stroke length w\o increasing pedal swing length) but I can't find any different part numbers to show this on www.Ford.Parts.com so was curious if you have bought 1........

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just got a Luk OEM replacement. I had read about the metal GT500 ones but wasn't sure where to find them, and I've had no issues with the OEM one anyway. I did buy one of the aluminum pedal-end upgrades off ebay to put on the clutch master before it goes in though.

bl817

Reaction score
I've been looking at upgrading to the GT500 metal clutch master cylinder. part # I found for it is 4R3Z-7A543-AA. that part# until recently only came up as the GT500 MC, I just searched that # again and the first one that comes up is for a V6. Tasca has part # DR3Z-7A543-A for 14' GT500 and from the looks of it, the stock photo shows a plastic MC. Summit racing has the part as PFT-800066 and is $71 bucks. That is the aluminum housing MC. if you search it up on summits site and see just BMW applications, keep scrolling, the list moves to S197 mustangs V6, V8 to the GT500. Ghunt, how much of a PITA was it to get the old one out and new one in? ive watched the vids and most say its easiest to remove pedal assembly. im sure its not that big of deal. I would love to add a remote clutch reservoir at the same time.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have not removed the old one yet or even received the new one. I did look up under the dash and it looks like just 2 bolts holding in the MC, but of course it's very tight.

I have to pull out my driver's seat at some point anyway to replace the lower cushion, so I might go ahead and remove it to give some better access under the dash.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
ah gotcha, think im gonna pull the trigger on the one from summit. found this thread from this forum when I was doing research.

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/13-14-gt-500-clutch-master-cylinder-install.130253/
Thanks for posting this & the part #'s in the earlier posting!
Now I can see why they work better than the OEM plastic units....they do move more fluid volume within the same stroke length as evident by where the reservoir line attaches to the MC vs the OEM unit (also most likely has a slightly larger OD plunger internal which will achieve the same thing).

I'm gonna get 1 of those coming now to replace my existing PowerTorque MC as it is metal construction but is designed to the OEM specs & not to this DR3V-7A543-AA (the part# off the unit in picture).

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guess I should have asked about this before I ordered...oh well.

Got the Luk MC today, it's made in Germany and looks pretty good so I think it will be fine. I don't know how good that Perfection aluminum one is but I've seen it for less than I paid for this Luk one, go figure.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So does anyone know how you install the aluminum rod end upgrade? Mine came with no instructions and I can't seem to find anything online. Not sure how you remove the original one on the clutch MC, do you have to pull it off or cut it off?

bl817

Reaction score
IIRC, you have to cut it off, there is a knurled end its fitted to, not 100% but 95% sure. the good thing about the aluminum rod end is you can adjust it a bit to get the release of the clutch where you want it.

bl817

Reaction score
JeremyH, not sure when you took that pic of the part or when you ordered it. I googled the part# and nothing came back. went to fordpartsgiant web site and searched the part# and says discontinued for the 5.8 engine car but has the one for the 5.0 engine car. not sure if its a metal casting or plastic. I just ordered the one off summit racing and its back ordered until 3/30. will be a nice surprise as im sure ill forget I ordered it by then.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
For what its worth I bought a genuine 13-14 gt500 clutch mc from ebay for a good price, though I don’t remember exactly how much.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
JeremyH, not sure when you took that pic of the part or when you ordered it. I googled the part# and nothing came back. went to fordpartsgiant web site and searched the part# and says discontinued for the 5.8 engine car but has the one for the 5.0 engine car. not sure if its a metal casting or plastic. I just ordered the one off summit racing and its back ordered until 3/30. will be a nice surprise as im sure ill forget I ordered it by then.

It was awhile ago, old pic. Looks like number slightly updated. Here ya go.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...yMDE0JnQ9c2hlbGJ5LWd0NTAwJmU9NS04bC12OC1nYXM=

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Thanks for the link! Will use as a backup...………...

For what its worth I bought a genuine 13-14 gt500 clutch mc from ebay for a good price, though I don’t remember exactly how much.

Yeah I typed in the part# I got off the 1 in the picture on eBay & got only 1 hit.....to Gaudin Ford. They didn't post a picture of it but the site shows only the 13-14 GT500 as compatible so I contacted them & asked for confirmation of part & sent them a copy of the actual picture w\ the FoMoCo part# visible on the part. Waiting on response. This 1 was listed for $91.xx but only had 1 left in stock. Saw another Ford dealer's eBay store listing for the same part#, showed no picture as well so I contacted them for the same info & sent the same picture so waiting on response w\ them too. This store lists it for $138.xx so start to expect the prices to climb as inventory drops.

Looks like these are getting scarce out there as I went to 6 more Ford dealer's eBay stores to check for availability & all 6 came back negative so if you want 1 of these get them while the getting's good!

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Alright I got 1 on the way!

Went w\ Tasca Ford using the link that JeremyH provided as they clearly show the newer part #DR3Z-7A543-A is the same part as part #DR3Z-7A543-AA & was 1 of the best on price that I found as well. Thanks again for posting the link, JeremyH!

I never got any feedback from GaudinAutoParts eBay store (....in their defense they stated in description that they only had 1 left in inventory so it could have sold already so no reason to respond...their price was in line w\ Tasca's but would've been nice to have gotten a response stating that they were out) & the other eBay store (Euro Auto Solutions) kinda gave a half-hearted response even though I sent them the picture of this MC w\ the part# clearly displayed on it to help w\ verification as they didn't list a picture of the product...so I walked (their asking price was $138.95 + tax so it wasn't too hard to walk anyway when I knew there was 1 potentially available for less).

Used PayPal so all the shipping info would be provided up front as well. Looks like it'll be shipped USPS so I'll assume a delivery time of the end of this week.

Gonna be looking forward to getting this puppy installed to see how she performs! Really love the fact that it's a genuine FoMoCo all aluminum part....didn't think Ford made 1 out of metal as all I saw listed on Ford.Parts.com were the plastic ones...even for the 13-14 GT500 as the only part # shown on Ford.Parts.com was the 7A543 suffix w\ the same picture drawing so was surprised when ghunt said that this part was metal....and got very excited when I saw the picture of the actual part so I had to snag 1 while the getting was good as these S197's are getting close to the Ford limit of 10 yrs parts inventory post manufacture (to cover any warranty repairs then % based on the number of sold units....mine is already there) & it gets worse for any special limited run vehicles such as this 13-14 GT500 (or my '09 Glass Roof Edition if looking for parts for the factory glass roof like the sunshade assembly as Ford.Parts.com shows it as discontinued & no aftermarket replicas exist but I was blessed to find a NIB genuine FoMoCo color matching replacement assembly on eBay after a yr of searching & am already having to wait on delivery of my FoMoCo EVAP replacement system that was ordered on 2-6-20, now due to lack of availability....back ordered).

Sorry for rambling & hijacking...…. Still am interested as to how the clutch operation came out w\ just 1 3\8" shim installed to bring the TOB preload to 5\8".....

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back