Bench bleeding clutch master cylinder

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Alright I got 1 on the way!

Went w\ Tasca Ford using the link that JeremyH provided as they clearly show the newer part #DR3Z-7A543-A is the same part as part #DR3Z-7A543-AA & was 1 of the best on price that I found as well. Thanks again for posting the link, JeremyH!

I never got any feedback from GaudinAutoParts eBay store (....in their defense they stated in description that they only had 1 left in inventory so it could have sold already so no reason to respond...their price was in line w\ Tasca's but would've been nice to have gotten a response stating that they were out) & the other eBay store (Euro Auto Solutions) kinda gave a half-hearted response even though I sent them the picture of this MC w\ the part# clearly displayed on it to help w\ verification as they didn't list a picture of the product...so I walked (their asking price was $138.95 + tax so it wasn't too hard to walk anyway when I knew there was 1 potentially available for less).

Used PayPal so all the shipping info would be provided up front as well. Looks like it'll be shipped USPS so I'll assume a delivery time of the end of this week.

Gonna be looking forward to getting this puppy installed to see how she performs! Really love the fact that it's a genuine FoMoCo all aluminum part....didn't think Ford made 1 out of metal as all I saw listed on Ford.Parts.com were the plastic ones...even for the 13-14 GT500 as the only part # shown on Ford.Parts.com was the 7A543 suffix w\ the same picture drawing so was surprised when ghunt said that this part was metal....and got very excited when I saw the picture of the actual part so I had to snag 1 while the getting was good as these S197's are getting close to the Ford limit of 10 yrs parts inventory post manufacture (to cover any warranty repairs then % based on the number of sold units....mine is already there) & it gets worse for any special limited run vehicles such as this 13-14 GT500 (or my '09 Glass Roof Edition if looking for parts for the factory glass roof like the sunshade assembly as Ford.Parts.com shows it as discontinued & no aftermarket replicas exist but I was blessed to find a NIB genuine FoMoCo color matching replacement assembly on eBay after a yr of searching & am already having to wait on delivery of my FoMoCo EVAP replacement system that was ordered on 2-6-20, now due to lack of availability....back ordered).

Sorry for rambling & hijacking...…. Still am interested as to how the clutch operation came out w\ just 1 3\8" shim installed to bring the TOB preload to 5\8".....

The picture that comes up on Tasca looks plastic to me, am I missing something?
Andrew, "Raredesign " bought the 13/14 GT500 unit and the billet end separately. He had such a hard time removing the original plastic end because it was on so well, that he ended up purchasing a second 13/14 unit and decided against the billet end replacement.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I bench bled mine, with this reservoir.

GM OEM RESERVOIR 92065790

divorced from the brake one...

I have 13/14 master also.

Hardly had to pump at all. Did not use my vac pump to bleed the system.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Andrew, "Raredesign " bought the 13/14 GT500 unit and the billet end separately. He had such a hard time removing the original plastic end because it was on so well, that he ended up purchasing a second 13/14 unit and decided against the billet end replacement.
There are 3 visual design features that distinguish the metal 13-14 GT500 MC from the OEM plastic versions:
1.) The 2 mounting holes. All plastic versions have a roll pin insert installed in the 2 mounting holes to prevent damage to housing from overtorquing bolts. If you don't see these roll pin inserts at the 2 mounting holes it is due to the body being made of metal (aluminum in this case....all cast aluminum isn't shiny & bright). If you look at the pictures of this MC thru the 2 links provided you'll see what I'm talking bout.....
2.) The reservoir fluid hose attachment point. All the plastic OEM units have this port located in the center of the body between the 2 mounting holes whereas the 13-14 GT500 MC has this port attaching closer to the mounting hole closest to the pedal connecting shaft....this allows more fluid movement (displacement) per the same stroke length to move the TOB\slave cylinder further (approx. 3\16"-1\4" further travel than the plastic OEM MC).
3.) The actual FoMoCo part # is cast into the metal side of MC body of the 13-14 GT500 MC, the plastic OEM's do not have this.

I bench bled mine, with this reservoir.

GM OEM RESERVOIR 92065790

divorced from the brake one...

I have 13/14 master also.

Hardly had to pump at all. Did not use my vac pump to bleed the system.
What store did you get this reservoir 92065790 from? Where did you mount it on your car? Does it come w\ a mounting bracket?
Am also interested as I would also like to divorce my clutch fluid from the brake MC reservoir as well (then swap out the manual brake MC reservoir for the auto version).

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So FWIW it looks like the entire pedal assembly is going to have to come out to replace the master. The rearmost bolt on the clutch MC (closest to the firewall) is completely hidden behind some foam sound insulation or something. Yay

bl817

Reaction score
goddamn it, I was gonna wait to order one from the ford link mentioned above but seems like this is a hot issue all of a sudden and don't want to be left without this amazing part!! that and the fact that summit has a month wait... you bastards!!!! JK

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Your confusing body with eyelet. Gt plastic body, gt500 metal body that is one of main upgrades. Both have plastic eyelets, albeit the gt500 one appears to be more robust.

The metal eyelit is a band aid for the Gt mc. The gt mc is weaker and suffers from body flex and rod distortion which leads do the eyelit failure over time as it takes more pedal force.

The gt500 mc with larger displacement and metal body does not have this issue. So no metal eyelet is needed.

To summarise, metal eyelet is a solution to a symptom of the poorly designed gt mc.

Gt500 mc fixes the root problem with a better engineered mc.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I pulled out the pedal assembly today. Not incredibly difficult, I'd say it took about an hour start to finish including swapping out the clutch MC, but it was physically painful to lay on my back and work up under the dash (there's a raised ridge on the floor that the front of the seat sits on and it digs into your back really bad)

Apparently you DON'T have to pull out the pedal assembly to replace the clutch MC. For some reason the front bolt on the MC has a nut on it, but the rear bolt has a threaded insert...who knows. Anyway, for anyone interested this is how it's mounted. The bolts are allen head, 5mm and the nut on the front bolt is a 10mm. The rear bolt can be removed with the assembly in the car but you would be working totally blind on it.
bs917K3.jpg

x4WuUiJ.jpg

Brick

forum member
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's related...

I'm installing the 13/14 GT500 master cylinder with 05-09 slave, and 6932-07 McLeod RXT.

Since the 13/14 GT500 master is a larger bore that moves more fluid, and supposedly extends the slave an extra 1/4"... should there be more slave preload to avoid over extending the slave?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's related...

I'm installing the 13/14 GT500 master cylinder with 05-09 slave, and 6932-07 McLeod RXT.

Since the 13/14 GT500 master is a larger bore that moves more fluid, and supposedly extends the slave an extra 1/4"... should there be more slave preload to avoid over extending the slave?

I have the exact same setup. RXT and OEM slave. All I did was swap in the 13/14 gt500 mc and bleed nothing else needed and zero issues.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
FYI...………...

Got an email from Tasca Ford this morning stating that the order I sent in for this 13-14 GT500 MC part# DR3V-7A543-A has been placed on special order status so will be delayed for approx another 3-5 days or more before being able to fill my order & ship it out.

Not an issue for me as I am fully prepared to wait it out if this did happen as I knew these 13-14 GT500's have been out of production for >5 yrs, were a limited run so not a lot were produced & all of them are past the manuf warranty period so Ford part inventories for this particular part are gonna start drying up...………...

Why I ordered 1 as soon as I saw the opportunity was still there...……………..

We'll see....................

34946-d0006e6d55ff12dec09cae9bf47119cf.jpg

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
FYI...………...

Got an email from Tasca Ford this morning stating that the order I sent in for this 13-14 GT500 MC part# DR3V-7A543-A has been placed on special order status so will be delayed for approx another 3-5 days or more before being able to fill my order & ship it out.

Not an issue for me as I am fully prepared to wait it out if this did happen as I knew these 13-14 GT500's have been out of production for >5 yrs, were a limited run so not a lot were produced & all of them are past the manuf warranty period so Ford part inventories for this particular part are gonna start drying up...………...

Why I ordered 1 as soon as I saw the opportunity was still there...……………..

We'll see....................

View attachment 71860

Was going to wait, but I'm going to order mine now!

bl817

Reaction score
i got the same email about having to special order the part.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Update:
Got email from Tasca yesterday that unit has been shipped so it's coming now...………….

PS--My local Ford dealership don't keep these in stock due to it being a special item & Tasca's online store price is cheaper than the book price off Ford.com (usually what the dealerships use) so depending on the part being looked at it might be cheaper to get it thru a dealership's online\eBay store than at the dealership itself (don't mark up the price to cover inventory space costs due to the part being shipped directly from the regional warehouse). Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

This will become more of a reality w\ special SKU's that Ford has discontinued.... My dealership informed me that Ford will usually start discontinuing certain parts after 10 yrs so if you have a special vehicle (such as my Glass Roof Edition Stang) or looking for a special part SKU keep this in mind.

Example: I went thru this 1st hand w\ my '09 Glass Roof's sunshade. When I bought the car in 10-17 this was broken. I went to my local dealership to get a replacement...they showed it in Ford's inventory at the time for $897.95 but had to order it so I waited on getting it. When I went back to get it 10 months later it had been discontinued. I searched for almost 1 yr before running into a few Ford dealerships on the West Coast (Fontana, CA to be exact) that had them available thru their online eBay stores but the inventories were very small thus were almost gone but I got 1 thru Sunshine Ford's eBay store & got it for $630.95 instead of the $897.95 quoted by my local dealership. These parts cannot be found anywhere else except thru Ford as no aftermarket replicas exist & they have stopped production of them. My wife's '09 Lincoln MKS is another example I can give as certain parts for it has also been discontinued & no aftermarket replica parts exist so the only other source is the junkyard but these cars are scarce even in the junkyard as most are salvaged (ours is a salvage rebuilt vehicle) due to their resale value.

These 13-14 GT500 clutch MC's will be going the same way soon in due time as aftermarket metal replicas of the OEM clutch MC (the plastic unit) exist already unless Ford allows this special SKU to be reproduced by the aftermarket....which to date isn't the case.

FYI......

Last edited:

bl817

Reaction score
got mine from Tasca yesterday, now to get off my ass and install it. PITA

bl817

Reaction score
since its been 2 weeks, what are your thoughts on the upgrade?

GlassTop09

Reaction score
since its been 2 weeks, what are your thoughts on the upgrade?
If this is for me (sorry for the delay in responding) I haven't installed it yet due to having to take care of other issues (hot water heater went out so had to replace it, got my Stang retuned after making several repairs...check out here
https://www.s197forum.com/threads/lunati-voodoo-21270700-camshafts.136257/ page 4 on...before the dyno shop got closed down due to COVID-19, needing to pick up a vacuum pump\stopper setup to do the bleedout after install so will need to make a trip to HF & weather not cooperating as I will have to do this work outside....allergy season not helping it either).

I did move the seat back fully to see if I can do this w\o having to remove it AND get to all under the dash....verified I can get under there w\o too much difficulty & not have to be put in traction afterwards so I will do this myself. After looking at it all I will definitely pull the pedal assembly out of the car as it is far & away the easiest method to change out the clutch master cylinder....period.

I know I can do the bleedout w\o a vacuum pump but if I'm gonna go this far might as well get the proper tool to speed it up.
The weather looks to be good this weekend so I'll be looking to do this work soon....shouldn't take more than 3-4 hrs tops even as slow as I am.

The biggest issue for me is gonna be getting my fat hands\arms in there to disconnect\reattach the clutch line from\to the clutch master cylinder......

Once it's done & tested out I'll post on the results..............

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back