"BOSS 227"....?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was being a bit sarcastic.

My idea could easily be a new class in any of the current sanctioning bodies. There are several cars in the class at the moment. We have the Mustang, Nissan 370Z, Camaro, Challenger, Genisis Coupe, maybe others. This is off the top of my head.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
It will never happen it will cost Ford way too much to make a car that will barely(if even) beat a stock 5.0.

most likely scenario is an ecoboost'd v6. a SHO mustang. I think that would both be fast, fun and because of the twin turbo setup it will have plenty torque...

but its still a v6, motherfuckers.
so according to the interwebs you'd have to have a massive knob in order to drive one of them around with dignity. as it goes.

topbliss

Reaction score
It will never happen it will cost Ford way too much to make a car that will barely(if even) beat a stock 5.0.

most likely scenario is an ecoboost'd v6. a SHO mustang. I think that would both be fast, fun and because of the twin turbo setup it will have plenty torque...

I agree. Why on earth would anyone buy a warmed over v6, for the same cost a 5.0?? No one would. Ford knows this

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
I agree. Why on earth would anyone buy a warmed over v6, for the same cost a 5.0?? No one would. Ford knows this

The 5.0 is just too far ahead of the game for a v6 to compete with.

the BOSS 302 has heritage and huge marketing value, bringing out a BOSS 227 will just be a waste of time and money with little to no returns.

they might get an article in MMFF lol

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
but its still a v6, motherfuckers.
so according to the interwebs you'd have to have a massive knob in order to drive one of them around with dignity. as it goes.

A perfect example of the V8 snob attitude I alluded to earlier in the thread.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
A perfect example of the V8 snob attitude I alluded to earlier in the thread.

you don't pick up the sarcasm do you?

I used to have a v6, have a v8 now and will never have a v6 again. doesnt mean you can't have a v6, though.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you don't pick up the sarcasm do you?

I used to have a v6, have a v8 now and will never have a v6 again. doesnt mean you can't have a v6, though.

It was a general observation. Not directed at you specifically.

I'm a V8 guy. From the day I got my license I've been all about V8's. And I was a V8 snob for many, many years.

This new V6 however is a real performance engine in the V6 class. I see a way that FOrd can further grow the Mustang faithful with in the segment of the population that can only afford the V6. Growing this segment is good for us, because it spreads costs out and keeps the V8 cars more affordable.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
the v6's saved the mustang. It literally pays for the GT.

I am very avid of v6 performance engines too, i just dont think they have place in a v8 muscle world. In a 370z? sure. BMW 335? yup. all good cars. Not for a stang tho.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The muscle car world is defined by the V8 engine. I think everyone can agree on that. A Mustang GT is a muslce car. A 370Z is not a muscle car, it's a sports car. A Mustang with a V6 is still a sports car.

10-15 years ago the sport compact car market was passed off as blah by the muscle car guys. But the manufacturers sell a hell of a lot of sport compacts. I think there is a smaller niche market that the V6 Mustang can crack, juts like the Focus cracked the sport compact market back in 2000. It's a small market but those guys spend a lot of money.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would buy an ecoboost mustang, it would be like a modern SVO.

I'd buy a F150 spec 3.5 Ecoboost Mustang in a flash if it was priced between the base V6 and the 5.0 GT.

365 hp and 420 ft-lbs with 90% of that available from 1700-5000 rpm. That's 378 ft-lbs or more across that entire range. I've heard tell of the Ecoboost 3.5 being able to make and easy 450-500 hp.

Very respectable hp and a Great Plains flat torque curve? What's not to love? Ohh and it would probably knock down over 30 mpg highway.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Why should that number matter if the car is enjoyable to drive?

You could replace that '227' with any displacement number you care to come up with and that sort of conversation starter still wouldn't be anything I'd ever say.

Norm

That's the point as long as it is fun to drive than that's what matters. Would i take a terlingua? Hell yeah 375hp V6 with a nicely tuned suspension would be tuns of fun to play around with especially since it has a lot of weight off the nose of the car. I get that Mustangs are a performance car and are dominated by V8s but just because a car doesn't have a V8 doesnt mean its not worthy. There never will be a Boss 227 or whatever becuase it doesn't make sense for Ford to spend the money on a car that is going to have a seriously limited market but it would be kinda cool for such a car to exist.

With a few exceptions I don't consider the Mustangs to be a muscle car which would be the 428 cars and the boss 429 and the GT500 outside of that they have been pony cars i guess for lack of a better term.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doing a "Tuner Spec" n/a V6, while there would be a market for it the costs outsize the market it would fit. As has been said, a turbo v6 would have appeal beyond just the college "Super Street" niche.

Ive wanted Ford to have a mid level "SVO" or "LX 5.0" style option for the Mustang since they killed the originals.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Take the base V6, put the F-150 3.5 Ecoboost in it and call it the "Mustang LX". Me likes.

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
I'm down for a Ecoboost Mustang. However, I think FoMoCo wants the Focus ST to be the "base" performance car and the Mustang (and its special models) to be the flagship. I don't see a Ecoboost being put in a Mustang in the near future because of the Focus ST.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I don't care what beats my car on the track or strip. I just want it to sound like a heavy V8 and put a smile on my face. Both of which my Bullitt already does.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Take the base V6, put the F-150 3.5 Ecoboost in it and call it the "Mustang LX". Me likes.

I'm down for a Ecoboost Mustang. However, I think FoMoCo wants the Focus ST to be the "base" performance car and the Mustang (and its special models) to be the flagship. I don't see a Ecoboost being put in a Mustang in the near future because of the Focus ST.

Its more cars to sell. They should do it, theyre in the business to make money. Make it limited to 5000, maybe fewer. 7500 max. Then they can charge even more.

A "Mustang LX" isnt about "entry level" into the "World of Ford Performance" its about giving people who WANT a Mustang an option. Better mileage, less insurance, less up front cost. For those who are ready to TRADE IN their Focus STs.

Or people who have a GT or better but want a more practical Mustang for a DD thats NOT a pussy, base V6.

Have a GT suspended "LX" that I insist is Taurus Ecoboosted unless Im missing something with the truck engines, and an "LX Type R" or "LX RS" that has ALL the Laguna Seca suspension pieces. Hows THAT for mouth watering?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Calling the base Mustang a "pussy, base V6" is a bit of misnomer as it performance outpaces or matches the vaunted 5.0 LX on all fronts from the heyday of the Fox-body. The new V6 runs the same kind of stock times, out stops, out handles, gets better mpg's, is safer in an accident, is made way better and is probably less to insure.

Being a "performance car" is a relative term.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
If they could build a V6 platform that was CHEAPER than a 5.0, and made it a 'boss' or some sort of special variant; I don't think it would be a bad idea to toss around.

Personally, I think best odds are to promote the car as a Boss without the 444horsepower. Kinda like how Chevy boasts the Grand Sport as a Z06 without the LS7. Thinking out loud I guess, but I see the point here, definately not a HORRIBLE idea, would still be a tough sale regardless with the price of a base 5.0

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back