Broke trans again anyone want a car ?

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am still on a completely stock auto, have never even called Tony's, so take this for what it's worth...

I just find it hard to believe it's the tranny's fault. All three times. People swear by Tony's transmissions, so there has to be a reason for that. This board, as well as being an awesome tech heaven, will call out a poor vendor in a heartbeat. If a place gets Kudo's on here, by a number of members, that's pretty much a dead giveaway that they are top notch.

There has got to be a reason, and I doubt its the tranny's fault.

I said all that to say this.....I would hate to see you put in #4 and have this all happen again.

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
I am still on a completely stock auto, have never even called Tony's, so take this for what it's worth...

I just find it hard to believe it's the tranny's fault. All three times. People swear by Tony's transmissions, so there has to be a reason for that. This board, as well as being an awesome tech heaven, will call out a poor vendor in a heartbeat. If a place gets Kudo's on here, by a number of members, that's pretty much a dead giveaway that they are top notch.

There has got to be a reason, and I doubt its the tranny's fault.

I said all that to say this.....I would hate to see you put in #4 and have this all happen again.

Who ever said I blamed Tony? I think your jumping to conclusions if I thought it was Tony's fault I would have never sent the tranny back to him a second time. My problem is TCI offers a warranty and I like that. I pay out the ass shipping to him and I have to wait a week each way just to far.

I already know something else is causing the problem and like I stated in the thread WHAT IS IT!! :) I'm guessing UCA or driveshaft but no one knows. When I do a new tranny I will also do a one piece driveshaft and cross my fingers...

That is if I don't kill myself first trying to fix the car.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you re on the right track looking into the UCA and driveshaft.

Mainly the UCA IMO...:beerdrink:

To answer your question - absolutely something causing the shaft to snap would smoke all the internals as well.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well... I'm going to give it a helluva shot when I get my car back. A few days ago, Adam and I decided to make another "little" change to my car. :whistling:

:evillaugh:

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didnt take the time to read 3 pages but did anyone ask about your pinion angle??

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ummm, nm, I didnt think you were blaming Tony's. I said it's not the tranny's fault.

You were talking about going with TCI for #4, and didnt think you should do that until the REAL issue was found and fixed.

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
I didnt take the time to read 3 pages but did anyone ask about your pinion angle??

No!

I checked it today and the car isn't 100% level I have to measure the tires but it looks like -1. I know it could be better but doesn't appear to be MAJORLY off.

I have not much vibration at 100+ so I never botherd to check it.

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
DSC02220.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

DSC02222.jpg

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
Shaft looks OK...

Sure does!! I pulled the shaft out and looked at it doesn't look like anything is wrong you can spin the hub and the shaft moves hopefully it's something simple like Tony suggested and just a band or something... Still concerns me that something went wrong.

Is everyone running a deep trans pan that uses Tony's trannys? I'm wondering if the car jumped back on the pull and didn't have fluid for a second or something like that...

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Sure does!! I pulled the shaft out and looked at it doesn't look like anything is wrong you can spin the hub and the shaft moves hopefully it's something simple like Tony suggested and just a band or something... Still concerns me that something went wrong.

Is everyone running a deep trans pan that uses Tony's trannys? I'm wondering if the car jumped back on the pull and didn't have fluid for a second or something like that...
I am running a deep pan , but I dont see how that would be an issue on the dyno . I am very interested to see what happened though.

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
I am running a deep pan , but I dont see how that would be an issue on the dyno . I am very interested to see what happened though.

When I spoke to Tony today he stated a dyno is one of the worst things you can do to these tranny's besides a 20+ roll then going WOT. He also stated he has seen 4 transmissions go on the dyno, and the best thing you can do is from a deadstop at the track.. go figure.

KIM_05_GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I spoke to Tony today he stated a dyno is one of the worst things you can do to these tranny's besides a 20+ roll then going WOT. He also stated he has seen 4 transmissions go on the dyno, and the best thing you can do is from a deadstop at the track.. go figure.
So is tony going to be fixing it? or sending you some money?

sevenleaf

forum member
Reaction score
So is tony going to be fixing it? or sending you some money?

Since the input shaft is not broken I will be sending the tranny to Tony and let him figure out what went wrong and fix it. I know Tony stated after the second time the tranny broke he would make some changes to the transmission to make sure the same thing wasn't going to happen. Which in this case seems right since the input shaft didn't break.

Lime1Gt

Reaction score
might be the torque convertor acts as a damper as all the internal parts wind up when taking off from a dead stop, whereas when rolling and then hitting wot all the drive-train parts are shock loaded from a snap effect.

Androdz

Banned
Reaction score
My bad I forgot it was a 555rs but either way a launch with an auto. Most dynos don't have load so they are just free spinning the drums, yes they do weight a lot but they put in less load than actually driving the car on the street. I was looking for a tech answer if I wanted a no idea answer I could had sent you a pm.

Andrew

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back