Cams and rwhp

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
KungFu I was thinking about doing adding the long-tubes with FFRP cams as well and had pretty much the same question. It does seem like cams can give you snywhere from 25-30 rwhp (FFRP) to 40 rwhp on a stage 2? So basically it varies by about 10-15 from the lopiest to the more performance oriented cams that require springs or other additional parts?

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's more like 20-25rwhp from FRPP Hot Rod cams and 25-30rwhp from Comp Stage 2 NSR cams.

Stage 2 SPR cams(which require upgraded valve springs/retainers/phaser limiters or lockouts) make 35-40rwhp by the way.

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
Little late to the thread but i made 348 with mods below

Comp NSR cams
JLT II
OBX longtubes
Bama 93 tune
UDPs
delete plates
aluminum DS
4.10s

Best ET so far was 12.30 in my heavy convertible in hot summer weather.​

GQ4Life

forum member
Reaction score
wish people give trap speed.. trap speed show HP.. ETs vary so much with traction (slicks, drag radials, street radials), and driver skill

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
I have the stage II 127200

Trap speed car vary just as much as ET, especially when taking 60 foot into consideration. When i went 12.30 it was with a 110 mph 1.69 70 foot

radmustangs

forum member
Reaction score
wish people give trap speed.. trap speed show HP.. ETs vary so much with traction (slicks, drag radials, street radials), and driver skill

Comp stage II NSR cams 127200
Kooks long tube catted x pipe
steeda under drive pulleys
steeda race delete plates
steeda CAI
4.10s
Hurst Short Throw shifter
FRPP lowering springs
Stock 17 inch bullits with 275/40/17 MT ET street radials
Stock rear suspension
Stock front suspension
Stock driveshaft
Stock Clutch

12.6xs @ 111 and 112 with 1.9X60s all summer long. Once i installed a spydershaft and some lower control arms i was able to get some 12.5xs with some 1.8X 60s by then it was august.

Here are some videos.

http://www.radmustangs.com/RadMustang-Videos_ep_32.html

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Current Mods -
JLT II CAI (BamaChips 93 Tune)
Steeda UDP's
Steeda CMDP
JBA Long Tube Headers
JBA Catted X-pipe
FRPP GTA Mufflers
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Spyder Aluminum DriveShaft
TCI Super Street Fighter 3500 Converter
CHE Lower Control Arm
Steeda Adj UCA
LPW Differential Cover Girdle
Eaton TrueTrac Locker
275/50x17 M&H Drag Radials

Before Comp Cams 12.299 @ 110.06 MPH

I added Comp Cams 127200 NSR a few weeks ago, when I get my transmission replaced I will hope for better times.

Last edited:

radmustangs

forum member
Reaction score
Nice times you will see some 11s with the nsr cams. Ill say congrats in advance. I wished I had kept the NSR cams sometimes just so i could run 11s with them :thumb2:

radmustangs

forum member
Reaction score
I was getting ported heads and couldnt see not putting bigger cams on them. I wanted to break 400rwhp n/a but streetable. So i figured I had to go with SPR stage II cams.

I really like the NSR stage II cams though. Great cam in a lot of ways. Great bang for your buck on this car. Its like a 30hp bolt on, no tuning needed, anyone could do the install. I never got a tune with them. I wanted to see someone break 11s with that cam. I know that I could have if i kept going.

Here is my before and after dyno. Before is the mods listed above with the NSR stage II cams on stock heads, after is livernois stage II heads and Comp 127500 cams.

sprheadsdyno.jpg

Last edited:

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
Ill be sure to post when i break my 11s with the NSR in my vert with bone stock suspension. Just need some nice weather

TorchedGT

Mustang Operator
Reaction score
i plan on doing similar mods to mine soon as the cash flow comes back.. jba long tubes, x pipe, hotrod cams, and a set of gears..

Blackburn

forum member
Reaction score
Shady,

DO you have a video somewhere of your car.... ?

I would like to hear how your setup sound

You have exactly the kind of setup that i want.

Thanks

Martin

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On a 40-43lb fuel pressure sytem. Naturaly aspirated (.5 bsfc).
The stock 24lb injectors are good for around 385 fly hp at a 100% duty cycle. Which is around 335-345rwhp based on drivetrain losses. Which is really maxing out your injectors!
On a stock GT with 300 fly hp the 24lb injectors are at
about 75% max duty cycle. Which is safe for the engine and your injectors.
So you heads/cams, n/a guys going for 330-360rwhp. to keep a safe duty cycle go with the 30lbers and call it a day. They are good for that 385 fly hp at only 75-80% duty cycle.
And for those going for 360-400rwhp n/a, get the 39lbers. They are good for 420-430rwhp at 80% duty cycle. Which will be plenty for a n/a monster.

KITT

Sell it!
Reaction score
On a 40-43lb fuel pressure sytem. Naturaly aspirated (.5 bsfc).
The stock 24lb injectors are good for around 385 fly hp at a 100% duty cycle. Which is around 335-345rwhp based on drivetrain losses. Which is really maxing out your injectors!
On a stock GT with 300 fly hp the 24lb injectors are at
about 75% max duty cycle. Which is safe for the engine and your injectors.
So you heads/cams, n/a guys going for 330-360rwhp. to keep a safe duty cycle go with the 30lbers and call it a day. They are good for that 385 fly hp at only 75-80% duty cycle.
And for those going for 360-400rwhp n/a, get the 39lbers. They are good for 420-430rwhp at 80% duty cycle. Which will be plenty for a n/a monster.

Hey man im not doubting your knowledge nor am I trying to be an ass but im putting down 425rwhp on stock inj and stock pump with no problems or A/F problems! Maybe ive been lucky. Getting ready to do head and cams and 39lbers and gt500 pump!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah you are def maxing out your stock injectors!! Definetly at those upper rpms. Im guessing your running a shot or forced induction with that power, which changes the ideal air fuel and bsfc for the formula. Regardless you are not only are maxing the injectors flow rate, the pulse width is probably so great at that rpm and power u are in a danger of running out of fuel and fryin those injectors. Im sure it can handle it every once in awhile but its still borrowed time. Be careful!

Last edited:

KITT

Sell it!
Reaction score
Yeah you are def maxing out your stock injectors!! Definetly at those upper rpms. Im guessing your running a shot or forced induction with that power, which changes the ideal air fuel and bsfc for the formula. Regardless you are not only are maxing the injectors flow rate, the pulse width is probably so great at that rpm and power u are in a danger of running out of fuel and fryin those injectors. Im sure it can handle it every once in awhile but its still borrowed time. Be careful!

Appreciate the info. I am running a 100 dry shot! Wideband says Im ok for the last 10K miles. Formulas are ok but not always accurate. Any S197 with a 100 or 150 shot is on borrowed time then. S197s are everywhere with CAI and 100 or 150 shots running on stock pump and injectors and even stock plugs till the 150 pills. I have several MMFF and 5.0 Magazines where they have tested N2O kits on stock cars making 400rwhp + and they swear by it! My friend has an 05 with 89K on it and its been at 430rwhp since it had 5500 miles on it and still going strong! With the heads and cams my tuner said bring inj. and pump or stay home. LMAO!

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
Can you expect any significant gains (~25hp) using a set of any of the above cams with stock heads and oem exhaust manifolds/cats?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back