Can U school me on tires?

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
If it weren't so entertaining I would say shut the heck up to y'all.

But there is something so amusing about watching multiple know-it-alls pontificate about how they are the chosen ones and knowledge will surely perish from the earth when they are gone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cute comment, but for the record, I am not here for your amusement. I mostly only state facts and I am always able to support my statements with a barrage of supporting documentation. [disclaimer] I have not come to this forum with bad intentions, but I did enter wielding an assclown extinguisher. [/disclaimer] Now I don't claim to be Chuck Norris, or Godzilla. But if they had sex and were somehow how able to make a baby....I would kick that baby's ass.

Last edited:

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Cute comment, but for the record, I am not here for your amusement. I mostly only state facts and I am always able to support my statements with a barrage of supporting documentation. [disclaimer] I have not come to this forum with bad intentions, but I did enter yielding an assclown extinguisher. [/disclaimer] Now I don't claim to be Chuck Norris, or Godzilla. But if they had sex and were somehow how able to make a baby....I would kick that baby's ass.

"oooo SNAP dragon!!"

ruffler-dragon-automaton.jpg

^^ not sure what this is but it was the closes thing I could find to what I said...:beer:

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I did not single you out personally, it was in fact a running diatribe by several persons who are obviously very argumentative.
I will concede that you presented very well founded arguments and pointed out discrepancies in other's opinions/arguments.
That being said, it was entertaining and bordering on the ridiculous for adults to get that wrought up over a simple tire question, and differing points of view. Actually, I did learn much about tire aspect ratios, and for that I thank you.
I too, come to this forum and bear no ill will towards anyone, but amusement is found where it is found...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ingwe

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Reaction score
Couldn't be arsed reading through all the bullshit so not sure if this point was already made but there's a difference between manufacturers as well.

For example I run a 305 Nitto NT555R on my 10.5 inch rims and they fit almost the same as a 315 Toyo Proxes TQ with almost exactly the same amount of sidewall bulge/stretch as the Nittos yet in theory they're supposed to be a fair bit wider. Given my rims are only 18s but i expect the same to hold true for 20s between manufacturers.

There are so many threads in this forum as well as others I reckon you could find pictures of almost any tyre combo to see what they look like to get a more accurate feel.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
I did not single you out personally, it was in fact a running diatribe by several persons who are obviously very argumentative.
I will concede that you presented very well founded arguments and pointed out discrepancies in other's opinions/arguments.
That being said, it was entertaining and bordering on the ridiculous for adults to get that wrought up over a simple tire question, and differing points of view. Actually, I did learn much about tire aspect ratios, and for that I thank you.
I too, come to this forum and bear no ill will towards anyone, but amusement is found where it is found...
It's all good, I was mostly just goofing around with my last comment. But thanks for the words and glad the info was helpful :beer:

Couldn't be arsed reading through all the bullshit so not sure if this point was already made but there's a difference between manufacturers as well.

For example I run a 305 Nitto NT555R on my 10.5 inch rims and they fit almost the same as a 315 Toyo Proxes TQ with almost exactly the same amount of sidewall bulge/stretch as the Nittos yet in theory they're supposed to be a fair bit wider. Given my rims are only 18s but i expect the same to hold true for 20s between manufacturers.

There are so many threads in this forum as well as others I reckon you could find pictures of almost any tyre combo to see what they look like to get a more accurate feel.

Good point and very true, they are just like clothes or shoes with how the sizing varies from one Manufacturer to the next. However, I am surprised your 315 Toyo's were the same as the 305 Nitto's, because Nitto's have always had the reputation of running small. Maybe Nitto's are different now and/or Toyo's just run really small. Interesting.

musshoss

forum member
Reaction score
discount tire, ebay....is the place to get em. thats where i got my 255-35-20 and 285-30-20 NITTO INVOS at. which match up pretty nice in my opinion

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
discount tire, ebay....is the place to get em. thats where i got my 255-35-20 and 285-30-20 NITTO INVOS at. which match up pretty nice in my opinion

Yeah discount tire is very good about matching/beating any legit price you find. That's where I would have ordered if they had the tires I wanted in stock.

Regarding your tire sizes, doesn't it bother you having such a small sidewall on the rear? I just don't think rubber band tires work on a mustang, especially on the rear. Better sizes are 275/35 and 245/40 IMO and matchup even closer.

2011BaseGT

forum member
Reaction score
here's 46Tbird and I racing. Listen to my lack of traction in every gear with 285/30's. I still cut a 1.88 60 ft, but 30's leave no sidewall to deal with the tire shock in each gear.

Our run is at 10:40 of this video.
http://youtu.be/73kM-sFFM60

Definitely need some sidewall if you don't want to loose 2-3 tenths at the track. My car ran a 12.298 on stock pirelli's and 7.9 eighth, but ever since going with 285/30's I've killed my track time. I knew it would and opted for looks over ET and wanted to run what I drove in on. Next time, I'm doing 305/30's Nitto DR's like 46Tbird since that size seems to fill the wheel well perfectly.

46tbird ran a 8.05 and I ran a 8.08. btw his car is bone stock except for the 305 drag radials.

Last edited:

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
here's 46Tbird and I racing. Listen to my lack of traction in every gear with 285/30's. I still cut a 1.88 60 ft, but 30's leave no sidewall to deal with the tire shock in each gear.

Our run is at 10:40 of this video.
http://youtu.be/73kM-sFFM60

Definitely need some sidewall if you don't want to loose 2-3 tenths at the track. My car ran a 12.298 on stock pirelli's and 7.9 eighth, but ever since going with 285/30's I've killed my track time. I knew it would and opted for looks over ET and wanted to run what I drove in on. Next time, I'm doing 305/30's Nitto DR's like 46Tbird since that size seems to fill the wheel well perfectly.

46tbird ran a 8.05 and I ran a 8.08. btw his car is bone stock except for the 305 drag radials.

Thanks for the input and nice #'s by the way but these are for track use it would be for DD. I'll run DRs at the track.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
You opted for looks? to each their own but 275, 285 and even 295/30's look and are too darn skinny from the side. Look at Deez pic of the rear tire (or lack thereof). It looks borderline ridiculous. There's a reason Saleen, Roush, Shelby don't put rubber bands on these cars. As someone else pointed out Saleens use 275/40/20 rear on 20x10's. Just say no to rubber bands! They don't look good and certainly don't perform good. Doesn't matter if you don't use them at the track, you want no traction on the street too? Not to mention minimal impact protection from any nasties in the roads, and poor ride quality?

Last edited:

2011BaseGT

forum member
Reaction score
yeah, I agree 30's are too low pro for track, possible pot hole, and traction in general, but I think they look good. At least on black. As you said personal taste.

DSC_0259.jpg

Last edited:

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
yeah, I agree 30's are too low pro for track, possible pot hole, and traction in general, but I think they look good. At least on black. As you said personal taste.

What is your front tire size?

And yeah, traction isn't just about the track, it's important every where and can even become a safety issue on the street.

2011BaseGT

forum member
Reaction score
What is your front tire size?

And yeah, traction isn't just about the track, it's important every where and can even become a safety issue on the street.

Yeah, just to be clear, I'm never doing anything less than a 305/30 for all the reasons stated. My point is the 30's look good and don't look like rubber bands as many have stated.

I have 255/35's on the front. I only did the 285's on the back since Nitto doesn't make NT555's any larger. They have 305/20's in the DR which is what I'm going with next.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, just to be clear, I'm never doing anything less than a 305/30 for all the reasons stated. My point is the 30's look good and don't look like rubber bands as many have stated.

I have 255/35's on the front. I only did the 285's on the back since Nitto doesn't make NT555's any larger. They have 305/20's in the DR which is what I'm going with next.

Don't get me wrong, you have a gorgeous 5.0, love those wheels, and the tires look ok in that particular pic.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back