Can U school me on tires?

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I need mine to look a little meatter back there.

Then don't go with 30's. You need 35's. I'm telling you 275/35's are perfect on a 10" wide wheel and in my opinion JUST cross the barrier where it's not a rubber band anymore. Even if you go with a 295/30, that's still a tad rubber bandish sidewall wise.

275/35 diameter = 27.57, sidewall height 3.78 inches
295/30 diameter = 26.96, sidewall height 3.48 inches

And I personally wouldn't go any wider then a 295 on a 10" wheel.

For the record: 275/30/20 diameter = 26.49, sidewall height 3.24 inches.

Last edited:

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
275s are too small for a ten inch wheel period...no point in getting a ten inch wheel to put 275s on it. Got 295 or 305. Just remember the 30 or 35 sidewall is all relevant to the width of the tire.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
275s are too small for a ten inch wheel period...no point in getting a ten inch wheel to put 275s on it. Got 295 or 305. Just remember the 30 or 35 sidewall is all relevant to the width of the tire.
You are completely WRONG. 275 is the OPTIMUM width for a 10" wide wheel. And his problem is he needs more sidewall, not really more width.

Last edited:

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Matter of opinion...and because your so sure of yourself, checking most tire websites(depending on rim size of course) list a 9 or 9.5 inch rim as optimal for a 275. On a ten inch wheel they will almost always recommend a 295 or sometimes a 285.....especially with 20s.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Matter of opinion...and because your so sure of yourself, checking most tire websites(depending on rim size of course) list a 9 or 9.5 inch rim as optimal for a 275. On a ten inch wheel they will almost always recommend a 295 or sometimes a 285.....especially with 20s.

Sorry but you are wrong. In terms of handling & responsiveness, 275 is optimum, if not even smaller. 285 is fine too. 295 is out of the optimum range and so on. A lot of people preach bulge and putting biggest tires then can on a certain rim, but I am talking about OPTIMUM sizing. Look at all the sports cars in the world like Porsche, Ferrari, heck even Shelby/Ford etc and their rim and tire sizes

And for the record look at tirerack.com (the biggest source of info) and the RANGE they give for 275's is 9-11"....now what is OPTIMUM in that?? Kinda obvious, no? Same goes for 1010tires.com. Truly optimum is likely even less wide.

Here's one example: 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera: Wheels 18x10.5, tires 265/40/18

Last edited:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
You are completely WRONG. 275 is the OPTIMUM width for a 10" wide wheel. And his problem is he needs more sidewall, not really more width.

Sorry but you are wrong. In terms of handling & responsiveness, 275 is optimum, if not even smaller. 285 is fine too. 295 is out of the optimum range and so on. A lot of people preach bulge and putting biggest tires then can on a certain rim, but I am talking about OPTIMUM sizing. Look at all the sports cars in the world like Porsche, Ferrari, heck even Shelby/Ford etc and their rim and tire sizes

And for the record look at tirerack.com (the biggest source of info) and the RANGE they give for 275's is 9-11"....now what is OPTIMUM in that?? Kinda obvious, no? Same goes for 1010tires.com. Truly optimum is likely even less wide.

Here's one example: 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera: Wheels 18x10.5, tires 265/40/18

Dude, YOU are wrong. He wasn't talking about optimum compared to this or that car. He is talking for the 10" wide wheel. Check out Tirerack.com and look at the data for a specific tire. Some 275's have a recommended 9"-10" wheel size, but many do not.

It isn't about what's optimum for the car when you've changed over to 20" wheels. Or when going with a staggered set up. If you wanted optimum, you'd put the original size wheels back on the car and keep a squared setup with a tire properly sized for the width of the wheel.

As far as that Porsche goes, there are probably only one or two tires made specifically for that car by a specific manufacturer that will properly mount on those wheels.

@OP:

make sure you check the prices on Tirerack.com. Even though other sites have free tire shipping, each time I've needed tires, Tirerack was cheaper.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, YOU are wrong. He wasn't talking about optimum compared to this or that car. He is talking for the 10" wide wheel.
No Sh*t Einstein that's exactly what I am talking about. I'm only using other cars as examples

Check out Tirerack.com and look at the data for a specific tire. Some 275's have a recommended 9"-10" wheel size, but many do not.
In the tire sizes we are talking about here its a "range" of 9-11

It isn't about what's optimum for the car when you've changed over to 20" wheels. Or when going with a staggered set up. If you wanted optimum, you'd put the original size wheels back on the car and keep a squared setup with a tire properly sized for the width of the wheel.
he already has the 20's, I'm simply stating the best size for the rims he has. That other guy said 275's are too small for a 10 inch wide wheel and I am simply telling him that is false, its actually a perfect size for a 10 inch wide wheel, again, in the sizes we are talking about here and for a sports car, which I believe the newer generation mustangs to be.

As far as that Porsche goes, there are probably only one or two tires made specifically for that car by a specific manufacturer that will properly mount on those wheels.

LOL, wtf are you talking about!? yes, Porsche had a SPECIFIC tire and wheel for that car, and what did one of the leaders in the free world of sports car handling choose for their car?? a 265 tire for a 10.5 inch wide wheel. What does that tell you. You act as if they had no choice in the tire size. Are you F'ing kidding me??

Last edited:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
No Sh*t Einstein that's exactly what I am talking about. I'm only using other cars as examples

In the tire sizes we are talking about here its a "range" of 9-11

he already has the 20's, I'm simply stating the best size for the rims he has. That other guy said 275's are too small for a 10 inch wide wheel and I am simply telling him that is false, its actually a perfect size for a 10 inch wide wheel, again, in the sizes we are talking about here and for a sports car, which I believe the newer generation mustangs to be.

LOL, wtf are you talking about!? yes, Porsche had a SPECIFIC tire and wheel for that car, and what did one of the leaders in the free world of sports car handling choose for their car?? a 265 tire for a 10.5 inch wide wheel. What does that tell you. You act as if they had no choice in the tire size. Are you F'ing kidding me??

Dude, you're a fucking idiot.

The whole point that is TRYING to made here is to not make all encompassing statements when it comes to wheels and tires. Check the specs. Make sure the tire you want to buy is made to fit a given wheel size. Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that ALL 275 series tires are the exact same size.

As to my last comment, many high end car manufacturers have SPECIFIC sized ties with specific compounds made to order for their cars. If you weren't being so stupidly belligerent, you'd see the points being made.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, you're a fucking idiot.

The whole point that is TRYING to made here is to not make all encompassing statements when it comes to wheels and tires. Check the specs. Make sure the tire you want to buy is made to fit a given wheel size. Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that ALL 275 series tires are the exact same size.

As to my last comment, many high end car manufacturers have SPECIFIC sized ties with specific compounds made to order for their cars. If you weren't being so stupidly belligerent, you'd see the points being made.

You are the fucking idiot, "dude"!! I'm not making all encompassing statements. I was talking about tires in the OP's application specifically with my tire suggestion and later in the general range of sports car applications. I suggested a 275/35 and Mystick said a 275 is too small for a 10" wide wheel and I am saying that is false, simple as that!

With regards to your last comment, NO SHIT CAPTAIN OBVIOUS that manufacturers have specific setups with compounds and sizes etc etc!! My point is that if Porsche chooses to use a 265 tire on a 10.5 inch wheel, then Obviously Mystick's argument goes out the window. Or do you ass clowns know better then Porsche engineers?? Again, the whole point of what I am saying is that 275 is NOT too small for a 10" wide wheel, in the OP's application and any other sports car application,18-20 inch range.

Last edited:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
You are the fucking idiot, "dude"!! I'm not making all encompassing statements. I was talking about tires in the OP's application specifically with my tire suggestion and later in the general range of sports car applications. I suggested a 275/35 and Mystick said a 275 is too small for a 10" wide wheel and I am saying that is false, simple as that!

With regards to your last comment, NO SHIT CAPTAIN OBVIOUS that manufacturers have specific setups with compounds and sizes etc etc!! My point is that if Porsche chooses to use a 265 tire on a 10.5 inch wheel, then Obviously Mystick's argument goes out the window. Again, the whole point of what I am saying is that 275 is NOT too small for a 10" wide wheel, in the OP's application and any other sports car application. 18-20 inch range.

OK dickhead. All I was saying is based on TIRE specs, NOT ALL 275's will fit well on a 10" wide wheel. It MIGHT look a tad stretched. So check the specs via a good tire site.

Now, go fuck yourself.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Man kbreeze you have successfully fucked up two threads now in the wheel tire section. In this instance you are wrong....period....period. Go directly to the tire manufacturer websites man. So far all your posts in every thread your in is you stating your opinions beligerently, and then telling everyone they're idiots for disagreeing with you. Stick with your 275s.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
OK dickhead. All I was saying is based on TIRE specs, NOT ALL 275's will fit well on a 10" wide wheel. It MIGHT look a tad stretched. So check the specs via a good tire site.

Now, go fuck yourself.

Please shove your head up your ass, do not pass go, do not collect $200, and refrain from posting any further assborn banter on the internets so that your viral nonsensical taint shall remain quarantined.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Man kbreeze you have successfully fucked up two threads now in the wheel tire section. In this instance you are wrong....period....period. Go directly to the tire manufacturer websites man. So far all your posts in every thread your in is you stating your opinions beligerently, and then telling everyone they're idiots for disagreeing with you. Stick with your 275s.

No you are wrong, PERIOD. You said 275's are too small for a 10" wide wheel and that is in fact false. Call up and ask anyone with any clue about wheels and tires and they too will tell you that you are in fact wrong. And are you seriously suggesting the tire manufacturers will tell me that 275 is too small on a 10" rim? LMFAO...your ignorance knows no bounds.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Please shove your head up your ass, do not pass go, do not collect $200, and refrain from posting any further assborn banter on the internets so that your viral nonsensical taint shall remain quarantined.

Nah, that's OK. I don't want to suffer from the same malignancy that you so obviously have embraced.

orangensaft

People think its yellow
Reaction score
Tirerack lists most of the 275/35s as fitting 9-11" wheels and 275/30 fitting 9-10" wheels. I'm not agreeing that 275s are the best on 10" though.

IMO 295/30 would be best, simply because it would give the closest diameter front and rear and would have similar sidewall shape. 275/35 would be taller and have less bulge than the front which to me would look goofy.

Also, A pissing match with Tom = At least one really angry old guy.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I never said they were too small or wouldn't work....I said it was not optimal(best) in a 20 inch 10 inch wide wheel. You keep referring to 18s, when op is asking about 20s. But like every other thread you involve yourself with, you have completely made it about you. Rumor has it you wouldn't man up to the price of big boy tires so that's why you prefer 275s. lol(that in fact was a joke).

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Tirerack lists most of the 275/35s as fitting 9-11" wheels and 275/30 fitting 9-10" wheels. I'm not agreeing that 275s are the best on 10" though.

IMO 295/30 would be best, simply because it would give the closest diameter front and rear and would have similar sidewall shape. 275/35 would be taller and have less bulge than the front which to me would look goofy.

This was my exact point, BUT WATCH OUT CAUSE KBREEZE WILL DISAGREE......QUICK RUN AND HIDE, HE'S TAKING THE WHEEL AND TIRE SECTION BY STORM!!!!!

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score

He should go 275/35/20 rear and 245/40/20 front. Almost same exact sidewall height, both of which are just to the point of being non-rubber band and will also give good handling responsiveness.

Those are the sizes I have based on research, common sense and an educated decision. Are you saying my setup looks goofy?

2012GTnewwheels026.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back