Car Care Preparation for Winter

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Do you guys recommend any sort of waxes/sealant to prepare for the winter's harsh elements? I for one tend not to wash my car too often in the winter because it's too damn cold out!

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
I would definitely put a sealant on. A wax will be kind of pointless especially in the winter because they have the durability.

Sealant wise I would use sonax polymer net shield and get the quick detailer that matches, sonax brilliant shine detailer. The SPNS will last roughly 6 months and the BSN will keep it going long for when you do wash it.

I would also treat all your plastics, trims, and rubbers with a product to keep them moist and protected from the salts.

Another option is to seal or coat all your windows this it be good for year round but it will help you remove snow and help you see when your driving in rain.

mrperple

forum member
Reaction score
I second what blkvert said. Its what i do in the winter. I live in CT so yeah my winters can be harsh. If you want a cheaper option go with collinite 845. Works very well too.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Which type of sealant would you suggest to use on the windows?

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
You can do anything from four star ultimate, Powerlock, the new Duragloss coating, or even just for ease you can use brilliant shine detailer. Anything on your glass will be better then nothing. BSD lasts roughly 3 months alone on paint so it ll wear a little quick on your windshield do to your wipers but when you do wash your car just reapply.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Im a fan of Wolfgangs Deep Gloss 3.0 Sealant, or Meguiars #21 Synthetic (only used that a couple times).

Any sealant should be ok though, I just think the Deep Gloss has the best refraction of any of the sealants. You can always put a carnuba over the top if you'd like though.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Can I get away with applying the sealant by hand or is it best tos tick with some sort of buffer/polisher?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Does anyone use the CGs jet seal sealant? I'm also looking for something to protect my paint for the upcoming winter and I'm trying to order it all from one place.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
For the price there's actually better options out there...I'm not saying Jet Seal won't give you protection, it's just old news with the newer sealants and nano coatings that have hit the market.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
For the price there's actually better options out there...I'm not saying Jet Seal won't give you protection, it's just old news with the newer sealants and nano coatings that have hit the market.

Yeah, autogeek is also giving away a bottle of the Sonax QD as well with the sealant. I'm in need of a new claybar, do you think this is a good set up?

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-polymer-net-shield.html

Need a new drying towel as well

http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-drying-towel.html

http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-bonnets-blue.html

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-clay.html

Any benefit to throwing a coat of Lava over the Sonax?

I was thinking clay, 105/205, Sonax, Lava.

I also have some black light as well, but I would imagine the Sonax needs totally clean paint to bond to?

Last edited:

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
I've heard some good things on the sonax, for about $30 I'd try it...might even jump on this deal myself. Make sure that you're spraying the polymer net on an applicator and then applying to a small area as opposed to spraying directly on the paint. And I wouldn't do blacklight before the sonax. Probably no harm topping it with a wax but it's not a necessary thing.

28ONE

Reaction score
This is hands down the best drying towel ever, at least in my experience!

http://www.carpro-us.com/microfiber-madness-dry-me-crazy-25-x-17/

Yeah you definitely want your paint clean before applying Net Shield. Lava won't have much of a chance to sticking on Net Shield...

Here's another option I forgot about, this stuff is awesome:

http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/C-A-R-Bullet-Proof-Topper-334p6838.htm#.VCHjLJRdXwI

One thing to keep in mind, whether you apply a coating sealant or wax - the condition of your paint will determine the outcome - coating, sealants & waxes are just icing on the cake...

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
How much Sonax should I be using? I've never used a sealant and I'm generally not that conservative with my Lava or blacklight. Why does it matter if I apply it directly to the paint or an applicator first? Any reason why I couldn't spray it on a finishing pad and apply with my PC?

28ONE

Reaction score
How much Sonax should I be using? I've never used a sealant and I'm generally not that conservative with my Lava or blacklight. Why does it matter if I apply it directly to the paint or an applicator first? Any reason why I couldn't spray it on a finishing pad and apply with my PC?

Here an application video:

You cannot apply Sonax Net Shield by machine, its an aerosol and initially its very tacky...

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I supposed I'll order that stuff up tonight. I'm gonna give that towel in my cart a shot and see it works. Too bad they are charging $20 shipping on that crap from autogeek. I might have to do some shopping around. With the free QD though, I don't think I'll find it cheaper.

28ONE

Reaction score
I supposed I'll order that stuff up tonight. I'm gonna give that towel in my cart a shot and see it works. Too bad they are charging $20 shipping on that crap from autogeek. I might have to do some shopping around. With the free QD though, I don't think I'll find it cheaper.

Yeah AG is freakin ridiculous when it comes to shipping cost. I rarely buy anything from them. Detailer's Club membership from Autoality covers just about everything I need...seriously tho, get the Dry Me Crazy towel from CarPro $30 Shipped - it's well worth it!

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
SPNS is awesome. Beads and protects very well. It will also last. If you apply the way 28one posted it is.very easy just move fairly quickly. I know the guy that made the video he knows his stuff. Putting anything on top of SPNS is useless except for the complimenting QD. SpNS acts like a coating from the start so its very slick and.hydrophobic. I would order it from autoality or detailersdomain.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Ordered the Sonax, MF towel, bonnets, tuf shine, and a pinnacle clay kit for $105 shipped from Autogeek.

28ONE

Reaction score
Ordered the Sonax, MF towel, bonnets, tuf shine, and a pinnacle clay kit for $105 shipped from Autogeek.

Do you have a foam applicator like the one in the video? Also, did you order the Tuf Shine Kit that comes with the tire cleaner?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back