Car Care Preparation for Winter

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Do you have a foam applicator like the one in the video? Also, did you order the Tuf Shine Kit that comes with the tire cleaner?

I don't have an applicator like that. Something that I can pick up locally? Or I do have a hole crap load of these.

meguiars-foam-applicator-pad-lg.jpg

oops. I only ordered the clearcoat. Changing my order right now for the whole kit.

28ONE

Reaction score
oops. I only ordered the clearcoat. Changing my order right now for the whole kit.

I don't know how much previous product you have on on tires but I used 1 1/2 bottles of Tire Cleaner on mine, and they were new tires. If you have any APC, scrub your tires a couple time first then use the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner. You'll know they're clean when you start getting white bubbles after scrubbing...

28ONE

Reaction score
I don't have an applicator like that. Something that I can pick up locally? Or I do have a hole crap load of these.

meguiars-foam-applicator-pad-lg.jpg

That should work, you can also use a foam finishing pad

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I NEVER put any tire crap on my tires. I absolutely hate that wet tire look. Maybe once it a while I would throw a very tiny amount of trim dressing on them to get them looking black. I may not even apply it until I get new tires since mine are getting pretty old.

That should work, you can also use a foam finishing pad

I have a couple crimson lake country pads as well

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
That applicator will work like 28one said but make sure you use the foam side. The other applicator is just easier to use especially since its sticky/tacky in the beginning.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I might try to find something similar local. I don't feel like making myself look stupid on the phone twice in one hour.

Any tips on using a PC. I've had mine for about 2 years now, and it just doesn't seem to get the scratches out. Nothing deep at all, but no matter how many times I try it, I just can't get it. I put enough pressure on it to just start to slow it down, make several passes and work the product until it is dry. Using M105/205

Last edited:

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
I NEVER put any tire crap on my tires. I absolutely hate that wet tire look. Maybe once it a while I would throw a very tiny amount of trim dressing on them to get them looking black. I may not even apply it until I get new tires since mine are getting pretty old.

I have a couple crimson lake country pads as well

Tufshine leaves a matte finish, its more of a coating than a dressing. I stopped using dressings probably 4 years ago because they would always catch dust and make the tires brown eventually. The coatings are superior to gels and don't give you the krispy kreme look.

28ONE

Reaction score
I might try to find something similar local. I don't feel like making myself look stupid on the phone twice in one hour.

Any tips on using a PC. I've had mine for about 2 years now, and it just doesn't seem to get the scratches out. Nothing deep at all, but no matter how many times I try it, I just can't get it. I put enough pressure on it to just start to slow it down, make several passes and work the product until it is dry. Using M105/205

What pads are you using?

28ONE

Reaction score

Those are great pads, imo, the PC lacks power and that's why after I bought the PC and tried it out - I switched the the Flex. The PC can remove swirls, just takes longer. At a minimum you have to do at least 6-8 section passes with the cyan pad n M105. Personally I've switched to Menzerna FG400 and SF4000 - night & day difference. Also, are you cleaning your pads after each section?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
No, I didn't know it was necessary to clean them after each section. Maybe I'll pick up some menzerna in the spring. My 105 and 205 are starting to run low. I'm not crazy enough about my paint to pay $300+ for a flex though.

28ONE

Reaction score
No, I didn't know it was necessary to clean them after each section. Maybe I'll pick up some menzerna in the spring. My 105 and 205 are starting to run low. I'm not crazy enough about my paint to pay $300+ for a flex though.

I hear ya - another brand you may consider is HD Cut & HD Polish. Cheaper than Menzerna but still good stuff...

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I have 2 of each. I'm fairly new to using pads and a PC. I learned how to buff and polish on a rotary with a wool pad. To be honest, this stuff overwhelms be a bit and I kind of shut down haha.

28ONE

Reaction score
Really...I typically do at least a few panels with each pad before changing them out. How many pads do you keep on hand?

I generally use 6-10 pads when I work on my car but that's my OCD and I'm dealing with black paint lol. I don't like having to stop and clean pads haha

I have 2 of each. I'm fairly new to using pads and a PC. I learned how to buff and polish on a rotary with a wool pad. To be honest, this stuff overwhelms be a bit and I kind of shut down haha.

As I'm sure you already know, rotary is much faster. Same concept when it comes to section passes, just takes longer with the foam on DA...

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
How should I go about cleaning pads? Just leave the DA on an hold the pad to a towel to clean off the excess product and paint? I'm a casual detailer, I don't want or need to have $100+ in pads for my car.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I was looking at. Just wanted to see if you guys used the same or similar methods for doing so. Do you think its ok to use an old bath towel for that? I've got tons of them laying around.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back