Cat or not?

Joe2006

Reaction score
Hi. New here and new to Mustangs. I have a 2006 Mustang GT. I am fairly confident that the car has exhaust mods. From the front tire back, it is just pipe. By the front tire and angling upward is the large thing in the picture. Is this the catalytic converter? There is one each side. The front of the car is on the right in the first pic. Thanks.exhaust 1.jpg exhaust2.jpg exhaust2.jpg

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Yes those are your cats. 3V's have two, one for each cylinder. There should also be some O2 sensors bunged in there. As for the straight pipe, it is just pipes back until after the rear axel, then should be a muffler. Sounds like the PO did a straight pipe axle back setup. Hard to tell in your photos but is that an H or an X? It should be an H to be the factory catback. I'd get some mufflers back on there in the back.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Take a picture of the pipes under the rear bumper, someone here will probably recognize which system the car has. If it does have muffler deletes and if you don't like it, you can probably find a stock system on a local online classified site for beer money.
I'd offer up my stock axle back system for cheap but since I live in Canada, the cost to ship it there would probably not be worth it.
There are plenty of aftermarket options as well that sound great and are much easier to live with than muffler deletes.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in SoCal and still have my stock axle backs. If you catch me on the right day when I'm trying to de-clutter and not make my garage look like I'm a hoarder, I would probably give them away for free.

I would also probably require you to haul away my stock panhard bar and control arms as well. They have been off the car for over 10 years so it's safe to assume they aint never goin back on.

Joe2006

Reaction score
Anyone close to northern Minnesota? I know, not exactly Mustang country! I just saw pipes around the rear axle.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
OP; What's the plan...you looking to go back to stock, or modify f/ more or less sound?

Joe2006

Reaction score
I think I will install mufflers in the spring. One thing I don't get: the current pipe behind the axle is hanging by one hanger, but the mufflers I see on American muscle website have two hangers on them. I have not done alot of searching for mufflers at this point, so I don't know if the $500 they want is a good price or not. I think I would prefer a close to stock sound. Any thoughts?

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I think I will install mufflers in the spring. One thing I don't get: the current pipe behind the axle is hanging by one hanger, but the mufflers I see on American muscle website have two hangers on them. I have not done alot of searching for mufflers at this point, so I don't know if the $500 they want is a good price or not. I think I would prefer a close to stock sound. Any thoughts?

I have a set of stock mufflers off my 05 that have very few miles on them. Would sell them pretty cheap, maybe $120 + shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
If that's the case, search CraigsList, or Facebook Marketplace as there are more owners doing the opposite (fm stock to open/louder). If you wait long enough, there's bound to be a set soon & then you can get a local exhaust shop to install & add 2nd hangar(s)...yes, there should be two per muffler.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I managed to find a set of mufflers from a Shelby GT for $100, prior to that I had MACs that I found for $50, if you look around you can find some good deals. If you’re actually missing the hangers for the mufflers I would hit up a local junkyard and snag some off a wrecked car.

Joe2006

Reaction score
Thanks! Are the Shelby GT mufflers louder than the regular GT? Am I right in assuming year is not important as long as they come from a S197?

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
05-09 are the same so if it is from any of those years, all good. If it is for a 2010+, it is not a direct bolt-on.
As to whether or not the shelby GT had different mufflers, I am not sure. Someone here will probably know.

Reaction score
I believe the shelby GT came with the GTA muffler, slightly louder then stock. Bullitts had the GTB muffler. Both are good mufflers for someone wanting a mild exhaust with no drone

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I believe the shelby GT came with the GTA muffler, slightly louder then stock. Bullitts had the GTB muffler. Both are good mufflers for someone wanting a mild exhaust with no drone

You are correct sir. The only problem is that you can't find them brand new so you'd have to scour the ads for hard to find used units.
The Borla Tourings are a little louder than stock but with no drone, making them a good alternative if you can't get a deal on a pair of GTAs or GTBs.

Joe2006

Reaction score
I have a set of stock mufflers off my 05 that have very few miles on them. Would sell them pretty cheap, maybe $120 + shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was wondering if mufflers that old would have rusted out on the inside?

Joe2006

Reaction score
You are correct sir. The only problem is that you can't find them brand new so you'd have to scour the ads for hard to find used units.
The Borla Tourings are a little louder than stock but with no drone, making them a good alternative if you can't get a deal on a pair of GTAs or GTBs.

Thanks for info on Borla Tourings. It sounds like they are what I am looking for in a muffler. Do they offer much HP gain over stock?

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
None of the aftermarket mufflers make any gains on a near stock 05-10 car. Ford actually put a decent flowing exhaust system from the factory.
The sound is worth it.

As for whether stock mufflers have rusted out, this depends on the climate. I'm in a dry area and still have the stock muffler on my 2002 focus and no issues with rust.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
None of the aftermarket axle-backs are going to add any HP over stock. The only reasons for replacing the stockers are for the sound and for the nice chrome tailpipes.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back