Clutch master cylinder

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone remember my never ending shifting issues? Well I think I found the culprit. I almost never drive the car since I bought my crown vic for the police academy as its easier to drive long distances and actually better on gas... so today I was looking for spots to mount led's for footwell lights and noticed the clutch pedal switch was wet. There was something leaking on it from the clutch master cylinder. Great. I wiped it up and it didnt smell like anything but Im going to ass-ume it was brake fluid. Now Im in the market for a new master cylinder and a fluid resivoir relocation. Is there a good company that makes a metal master cylinder? Id like to get a 13 gt500 master cylinder but its not easy to find one, and really is it worth the extra cost?

Also has anyone here done a clutch resivoir relocation? I saw a thread where someone used one out of a gto I think. How did you mount it? Thanks for the help guys.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
2013 GT500 clutch master cylinder is FoMoCo part # DR3Z-7A543-A. There is one on ebay for $89.98 with free shipping. I did this mod, in addition to a McLeod clutch line and fresh Pennzoil syncromesh in the 3650. Made a huge improvement in high rpm shifting and the dreaded third gear lockout issue.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I bought it anyway. I see some billet eyelets on ebay for like 40 bucks. I might grab one so it doesnt break. Thanks.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Bumped my 2013 GT500 clutch master cylinder install thread over in the tech forum. Some pics/tips that might help you out.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks man I appreciate it. I hope installing this will help out my weird lockout issues as well. Fingers crossed!

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Reviving this old thread... how did the master cylinder work out? Any problems in the last year?

-as far as the metal eyelet goes, my shop pointed me to this one

http://www.rjmperformance.com/05-14-mustang-gtgt500.html

It's expensive, but fully adjustable. I'm trying to find more info on it to see if it's worth the extra $$$. With an all metal construction, it's gotta be damn near bulletproof.

Onelildude

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed the GT500 piece but haven't driven the car yet. I highly recommend removing the entire pedal assembly because it makes the job 100000% easier. Once I drive my car i'll let you know how it is

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I had the '13 GT500 MC in my '08 for about 2-3 years before I sold it last year. It was an immediate improvement over the stock GT, IMO. The larger bore gives the slave more authority over the pressure plate. I was using an Exedy Mach 400 clutch/pp, OEM (doorman) slave. The clutch/pp/slave already had about 25k-30k/mi on them when I did the MC upgrade. I also put a JPC stainless braided hydraulic line in place of the OE line (because, why not). Never had a clutch related issue after the MC went in. It did raise the engagement point on the peddle a bit. Previously, the engagement point was closer to the floor. After, the engagement point was about halfway or so. I could actually hammer gears with about 1/2 clutch pedal, which was nice in its own right. Took a bit of getting used to, but quickly became preferred. Since then, every manual I drive I tend to grind gears every once in a while trying to hit gears at 1/2 pedal, LOL.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed the GT500 piece but haven't driven the car yet. I highly recommend removing the entire pedal assembly because it makes the job 100000% easier. Once I drive my car i'll let you know how it is
Ok let me know how it goes

I had the '13 GT500 MC in my '08 for about 2-3 years before I sold it last year. It was an immediate improvement over the stock GT, IMO. The larger bore gives the slave more authority over the pressure plate. I was using an Exedy Mach 400 clutch/pp, OEM (doorman) slave. The clutch/pp/slave already had about 25k-30k/mi on them when I did the MC upgrade. I also put a JPC stainless braided hydraulic line in place of the OE line (because, why not). Never had a clutch related issue after the MC went in. It did raise the engagement point on the peddle a bit. Previously, the engagement point was closer to the floor. After, the engagement point was about halfway or so. I could actually hammer gears with about 1/2 clutch pedal, which was nice in its own right. Took a bit of getting used to, but quickly became preferred. Since then, every manual I drive I tend to grind gears every once in a while trying to hit gears at 1/2 pedal, LOL.

Make me think... when i had my stock clutch the engagement point would be about halfway, but with the McLeod it's about a 3rd up. Very well could be it's not fully disengaging. I ordered the RJM MC, should be here by the end of next week.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok let me know how it goes

Make me think... when i had my stock clutch the engagement point would be about halfway, but with the McLeod it's about a 3rd up. Very well could be it's not fully disengaging. I ordered the RJM MC, should be here by the end of next week.
I remember my stock clutch being towards the bottom 1/3 for engagement. Even more so when I swapped to a centerforce DF. Had horrible gear grinding and lockout issues. Got better when I went to Exedy but about the same as stock. Totally improved with the GT500 MC and stainless line.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back