Clutch problems

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
If you measure it, and use the work sheet you will see if you need a spacer or not. As you have all ready read some guys had miss matched clutch/ FW, some had floater problems and needed a shim on the plate. Some like me needed a shim behind the TOB due to the design of the PP fingers. There is not 1 answer that fixes all, you got to look over your setup and measure.

Last edited:

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Quick question someone might be able to answer. Which tob do I need to install the Cobra Jet tr6060? It has an sfi 6.1 spec sticker punched out Jan 08. After reading this thread I am all lost and confused. I have old trans out so bring on the questions or answers.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Just a quick update on my situation...

I had to drop my transmission, ship the whole flywheel and clutch assembly to McLeod, seems like my issue was the floater plate; my flywheel clutch disc never made contact...
So mismatched components...?

Upgrading to the RXT with McLeod flywheel...that way I know everything will be matched and spec-ed perfectly when it leaves their hands.

Lesson learned, if you are buying a new clutch assembly, don't mix and match...

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone tested the new 2010 GT500 (shorter) slave cylinder with a McLeod RST/RXT?

I am waiting for my brand new RXT w/McLeod flywheel (failed RST warranty repair) and I was pondering if I could use the shorter style slave cylinder to shift the clutch engagement point from the top of the pedal to the middle where it should be.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Maybe I'm just better off using RAMs adjustment valve on the MC-Slave hose instead...

gil_t2

Reaction score
That TOB is designed for the 2010 Ford Clutch unit. I think 19cobra93 posted photos of the old and new style Ford gt500 clutch units. I know if you install the new ford clutch in the older gt500's you must switch to the 2010 TOB.

See post #203

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that... The 05-09 slave cylinder has too much throw for the McLeod twin disk clutch setup; placing the clutch engagement really high on the clutch pedal.

Hence, I was wondering if the shorter style slave cylinder from the 2010 GT500 would work in this case...moving the engagement point closer towards the middle of the clutch pedal travel.

gil_t2

Reaction score
I don't think that is a problem. I know guys that used a 1/8" spacer because the release point was to close to the floor. But all you need to do is measure it for the preload. the work sheet is on this thread around page 7. I use this work sheet every time i install a clutch and never had a problem, or complaint. On mine with no spacer the release was low for my liking, and with 1/8" spacer a little high. So i went high, but next time i pull it out, i will get some 1/16" and 1/32' spacers first

PS the 2010 TOB is way to short i think

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have a McLeod clutch? Your engagement is close to the floor? Really?
I with my original clutch was high almost on the top.

Wonder where it will be this time...

So you think the 2010 GT500 Slave would be too short...?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tested the new 2010 GT500 (shorter) slave cylinder with a McLeod RST/RXT?

I am waiting for my brand new RXT w/McLeod flywheel (failed RST warranty repair) and I was pondering if I could use the shorter style slave cylinder to shift the clutch engagement point from the top of the pedal to the middle where it should be.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Maybe I'm just better off using RAMs adjustment valve on the MC-Slave hose instead...

Yes, it is way way way too short. It wont even touch the pressure plate with the clutch to the floor.

Yeah, I saw that... The 05-09 slave cylinder has too much throw for the McLeod twin disk clutch setup; placing the clutch engagement really high on the clutch pedal.

Hence, I was wondering if the shorter style slave cylinder from the 2010 GT500 would work in this case...moving the engagement point closer towards the middle of the clutch pedal travel.

Incorrect.

With my RST for the 3650 engagement was high when first installed, then after a couple weeks and some miles after it was good and broken in, engagement was perfect about halfway where it stayed and clutch performed flawlessly.

Last edited:

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update on my situation...

I had to drop my transmission, ship the whole flywheel and clutch assembly to McLeod, seems like my issue was the floater plate; my flywheel clutch disc never made contact...
So mismatched components...?

Upgrading to the RXT with McLeod flywheel...that way I know everything will be matched and spec-ed perfectly when it leaves their hands.

Lesson learned, if you are buying a new clutch assembly, don't mix and match...

RAM steel flywheel, RAM Powergrip HD pressure plate, RAM 310 clutch, oem TOB using RAM spacer included in kit.

I spent 1000's finding single clutch combo for TR6060 years ego.
IT JUST PLAIN WORKS... Drove to and from Lake Charles, La-Rockingham, NC, and back... with 4.56's ;).

THIS CLUTCH COMBO JUST PLAIN WORKS

PM me if more info. I even cut a hole in the bottom vent of TR6060 case making sure all tolerances were RIGHT... and they were... right out of the box. Ive been running the same combo (you can upgrade clutch material, just keep tolerances the same (call RAM to be sure)... and all is perfect.

:beer:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Incorrect.

With my RST for the 3650 engagement was high when first installed, then after a couple weeks and some miles after it was good and broken in, engagement was perfect about halfway where it stayed and clutch performed flawlessly.

Really!!?? Awesome!!!
My previous RST disengagement/engagement point was top of the clutch pedal since day one and stayed there.
This is good news...hopefully I get the same results.

Thanks!!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have heard similiar things for others with the rst, it took alot longer to break in then any clutch I have had before, but I guess it makes sense since its 2 discs so less wear/longer break in. And the pedal leveled out nicely.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I have heard similiar things for others with the rst, it took alot longer to break in then any clutch I have had before, but I guess it makes sense since its 2 discs so less wear/longer break in. And the pedal leveled out nicely.

What clutch do you have now? What does your setup consist of; flywheel, shims, slave, MC, hose, etc...?

My previous RST failed...sort of. The flywheel side clutch disk never touched the flywheel and floating plate. So when the clutch assembly overheated, the disk warped and did not disengage... Maybe the floating plate was machined too thick?

Just adding this data to the thread in case it comes in handy for someone.
I would have never known this unless I dropped the transmission. I was ready to replace MC, slave, hose, etc.... It was the clutch assembly all along.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have an ACT clutch/flywheel setup now. It seems the issues are indeed with floater specs/clearance for the rst/rxt's.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score

What happened if the clutch performed flawlessly?

Just read the first page again...how long did it take for the problem to appear?
I guess it worked flawlessly until it started acting up?

I had the same setup as you; Fidanza aluminum flywheel and RST setup...
My replacement unit is a RXT with McLeod unit...built and inspected by McLeod (Lee) to make sure all the tolerances are within specs.
I'm hoping my issues are done and this unit will be flawless for years to come!!

Like I said, my RST from day one was working as a single disk unit!!

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What happened if the clutch performed flawlessly?

I had the 10 spline RST for my 3650 zero issues.

I have the 6060 now. The new 26spline RST is what I had issues with it not disengaging properly. Swapped in the act and it works so its staying in. ($1200 setup)...

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I had the 10 spline RST for my 3650 zero issues.

I have the 6060 now. The new 26spline RST is what I had issues with it not disengaging properly. Swapped in the act and it works so its staying in. ($1200 setup)...

I'm thinking McLeod had a bad run of floating plates!!!

Thanks so much for all your research!! This is "The McLeod RST FAILED" thread!!!:thumb2::thumb:

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back