Code P0358 IG COL PR SEC CR ER x2

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Had this code this morning on the way home. I had this same code a few days ago, both times cleared and things were ok.

Now... what the HECK does it mean? Do I need to check my plugs or something?

I'm pretty clueless here...

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Ignition coil #8

I would swap #8 coil with another (#7 for example) and see if you get a P0357 code - Ignition coil G (#7)

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok. I'm a newb at this stuff, how are the coils lettered? (besides A-H)?

What does this mean? That the coil is failing?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
someone else needs to confirm this but I believe the coils correspond with cylinders. For example #1 -#4 would be passenger's side front to rear. #5 -#8 would be the driver's side front to rear.

So the H or #8 coil would be the driver's side rear.

To confirm the coil is failing I would swap #7 & #8 coils. See if it throws a P0357 code. If it does the coil is your problem.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Alright.

How hard is it to swap the coils? Suppose I have a failing coil, is it worth my time to replace them all with aftermarket parts? Do I need a new tune if I do so?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Coils are very easy to swap - about a 2 minute job each. I wouldn't buy a complete set - about $50 each. Just do a little troubleshooting and replace only the bad coil.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are the one's on our cars fairly Ford common?

Getting Ford parts over here is not impossible, as they have Ford dealerships, but if it is an odd part # I might have to order it from the States.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I would have to order it from the states (they don't sell anything with those engines here).

Sorry to be buggin, I'm at work for another 5 hours... but then I am off tille Saturday morning after that!

No reason to upgrade to aftermarket coils then? I think I read (somewhere) that they didn't give a bunch of gains...

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I upgraded to Granatelli coils and swapped back to the stock coils. Just confirm which coil is bad and replace that one coil.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Off to home I go, after I get a nap, I will swap coils, thanks!

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do they require any modifications to the tune? Cus thats pretty much out for me... hard enough finding a tuner in the US...

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To confirm the coil is failing I would swap #7 & #8 coils. See if it throws a P0357 code. If it does the coil is your problem.

Well, swapped coils (driver's side, closest two to the firewall) and I got the same code. So assuming those are the right ones, it isn't the coil.

So, now what?

This damed BMW couldn't get here sooner... they are calling for snow this week, the coil isn't the problem, AND I noticed the differential is leaking slightly from the shaft seal when I had it in the air to change the oil...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back