Code P0358 IG COL PR SEC CR ER x2

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, swapped coils (driver's side, closest two to the firewall) and I got the same code. So assuming those are the right ones, it isn't the coil.

So, now what?

This damed BMW couldn't get here sooner... they are calling for snow this week, the coil isn't the problem, AND I noticed the differential is leaking slightly from the shaft seal when I had it in the air to change the oil...
If you still got the same code - it would indicate that it isn't the coil but rather the wiring or I suppose the plug...

If I recall correctly, this code means that it did not get a diagnostic/alive response from the coil rather than a mis-fire detection. So, a shorted wire to the coil would be a good thing to look for (worn/exposed wire).

Also pull and inspect the plug - I am not sure what all is covered by the diag pulse, but it is conceivable that a poor ground with the plug could cause this as well. If you can't see anything with the plug itself, swap them as well...

If that fails - they start looking for damage to the wire loom...

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, swapped coils (driver's side, closest two to the firewall) and I got the same code. So assuming those are the right ones, it isn't the coil.

So, now what?

This damed BMW couldn't get here sooner... they are calling for snow this week, the coil isn't the problem, AND I noticed the differential is leaking slightly from the shaft seal when I had it in the air to change the oil...
I would then pull the spark plugs on the affected cylinder and swap it with another cylinder.
The firing order is passenger side front to back 1-4 and drivers side front to back 5-8 so it appears that you swapped the correct coil.
How long does it take to get a BMW in Germany?

07SHELBY GT

Wiring or PCM issue.Now the fun begins.Check the wiring for any neked spots or shorts between wires as far from the coil as possible,Starting at the coil obviously.Get a wiring diagram if possible.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will get in and around the wires probably tommorrow... too dark right now, and I would rather have a few beers and watch football...

Thanks yall

How long does it take to get a BMW in Germany?

Ordered it late september, I pick it up monday afternoon... just in time, since it has already snowed once, and I have Pilotsport PS2s on the Stang...

Back