Codes PO345 & 349 - low engine noise?

Glenn Ford

Reaction score
My son's 2012 GT threw the codes PO345 & 349 - camshaft position sensor - this week - two quarts low on oil. He said the engine noise sounded like bike spokes that are broken. After he put the oil in the engine noise was very low. He drove it to the Ford dealer for work. GT has 190,000 miles. GT was never raced or abused - original owner.

I know this isn't much information, but I would be grateful for any suggestions on what the problem may be. Could a bad camshaft sensor throw the timing off and hurt the valve train?

Thanks for any help.

Glenn

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I dont have good news for you. But Im fairly certain part of the issue is the nut behind the wheel!

Two quarts below the add mark is bad. The noise sounds like it was due to lack of oil pressure, based on the noise quieted after adding oil.
Check oil pressure with an external guage. For reference, mine holds 26psi at a hot idle, 75psi anything above 2000 rpms.('13 coyote)

You either got lucky, and with the correct oil level and codes cleared, it will be OK. If the check engine light trips again with same code, there is exploratory engine surgery in his future.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The noise was probably timing chain rattle because the tensioners were being fed too little oil to maintain proper chain tension. The codes suggest that a chain has skipped a tooth or two and that could risk piston to valve contact. Better check the cam timing to be on the safe side.
Also ask yourself why the engine was two quarts low. At 190k miles it's probably burning or leaking oil unless some dimwit at a quick lube change center didn't add sufficient oil.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Those are camshaft sensor faults not cam timing faults.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back