Cooling System Help

TristenRamos

Reaction score
I have coolant coming out of what I think is the “weep hole” on my thermostat on the left side towards the battery, and I can only fill the overflow a little less than halfway, I’m thinking because of this leak. Whenever I rev the engine, the coolant shoots out of that same hole. Any thoughts on what needs to be replaced?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
A photo would be useful but a common problem on the '05-'09 V6 is cracking of the OEM plastic thermostat housing, and the best solution is to replace it with an aftermarket aluminium unit.
That said, the thermostat housing doesn't have a weep hole but the water pump definitely does, so it may actually be the water pump that's leaking and in need of replacement. This happens when the water pump shaft bearings begin to fail and break the seal.
Even if your existing plastic thermostat housing is fine, it WILL eventually fail so it's best to replace and upgrade it pre-emptively.

Nicholas G

Reaction score
I’ve had to replace the thermostat housing as mine had a small crack on it only noticeable when the car was warmed up. I agree pics help but those housings are 2 pieces a top piece where u can access the thermostat and the bottom piece I would see what piece is leaking and replace

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
There is no intentional weep hole in the thermostat housing. It is leaking and needs to be replaced. If you intend to keep the car for a long time, consider getting a metal replacement; it'll cost more but you won't have it come apart.

TristenRamos

Reaction score
It was weird, but I replaced the WATER PUMP and TEMP SENSOR yesterday and I ran the car slowly at first, then built up to taking it on the highway a couple towns over. The issue has gone away, and there is no more shooting coolant coming out. I’m not 100% sure why or how this fixed it, but I just wanted to pass this nugget of knowledge for future reference. Thanks for all your helpful input, everyone!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back